• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your expectations and concerns?

Damo

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2006
Leicester, UK
Hi guys,

Now that we have quite a good idea of what the game will contain, here's a nice easy one for you all..

What are the bits of RO:HoS you're most looking forward to, but also do you have any concerns / fears over the product that will replace RO:Ostfront?

Personally I'm looking forward to a (what will hopefully be) RO:Ost feeling game but within a next-gen engine. RO remains a fantastic game, but the last few years it's become dated in several areas - especially some game-play aspects and graphics. I can't wait to give the new bolt-rifles a go and run around the new maps taking in what look to be very beautiful and immersive environments.

As for any concerns, well, the major one is the thought of going from a great but ageing game, to a new one that just isn't as good. TWI say they have been able to create the game they always wanted, and having been playing their stuff for 7 years I do have faith in them. Also, given TWI's will and ability to continuously patch their games we should have a headache-free game, but the two week delay has concerned me slightly.

Concerns: Just about nothing, I have faith in TWI in that they'll make a great game. The delay is understandable in my opinion and I respect that they don't want to release a buggy and unfinished product.

Not Concerns: I think it'll be a great and immersive game that focuses on commincation and teamwork more than just about any other FPS. It'll outclass (At least IMO) any FPS of the year :)

Upvote 0
Looking forward to: Almost everything, really. Everything that I thought over the years that would improve almost any FPS title, they added into RO2 (First person cover system, ability to move around to different positions in a tank, etc.). Not to mention the mod community, with 3 awesome mods on the go, and more to come, I'll never be needing another game for centuries to come!

Concerned: They never really talked about it, so maybe I'm just paranoid. But I'm concerned for tanks having their own map and infantry having theirs. It would be awesome for both to come together in the battle..

Upvote 0
Not to be a downer, the game is still going to kick enormous amounts of bottoms. However

I've never really been thrilled with the 'Heroes of Stalingrad' thing, I mean, Stalingrad was the worst battle in the worst war of human history, really it was a bunch of poor desperate young men killing, dying, starving and freezing to death in an un-imaginable situation. Nothing really heroic about it. Still nevermind, if it sells more copies to people i'm giving it a huge thumbs up.

Also Silencer for the Nagant pistol. Probably won't see too much of it though with it's hopefully historical reload speed.

Apart from that, Pretty pleased with everything i've found out so far. Think it's going to be a winner (or i wouldn't have hung around here for this long!)

Reactions: Elim
Upvote 0
I consider myself on the extreme end of "Realism" and below is a quick list from top of head that may concern me about RO2 ( many concerns from RO1 ) after reading the Forums and watching vids.
Hope some things can be changed server side, and others by the game mechanics ( Mutators, etc...this might be the harder part ).
-Weapon switching is to fast ( didn't like this in RO1 ).
-Zoom
-Unlocks & Rank-Ups
-Less fatigue when running compared to RO1 ( RO1 did a good job )
-To fast speed when running over rough terrain, going up-down stairs, etc ( didn't like that in RO1 )
-Rare weapons ( whats the point )
-Recon Plane ( not in scope of RO )
-Heavy Arty ( not in scope of RO...Mortar Barrages are ok )
-Arty Barrages come down to quick ( didn't like that about RO1...Should take 2-3 minutes or more ).
-Heavy buildings appear to be in ruines after 1 arty barrage ( this should take several hours or days to accomplish...Light building are ok to take 1-2 arty barrages to ruins ).

Other then the several concerns I have above, for $32 dollars I will still support TWI. Unfortunately, one of the problems I see with devs of FPS games is they compress actions that normally take a few minutes to accomplish in RL down to 1 minute.

I figure on playtesting the game in AI Mode for awhile to learn the mechanics, then find " Hard Core Realism" servers with a few guys or clan who share my same views.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Expectation: Best FPS of 2011-2012-2013-andbeyond

Concerns: as mentioned previously - tank/infantry being separate maps. And well if they are - it'd be nice to have them labeled as so.
Being new to ROOST and joining a map with some generic russian/german location I've never heard of. Only to find after loading It's tanks only (and i'm an infantry dood)

Would be nice to have something like the source engine (de_ is the bomb game type, gg_ gun game etc)

Upvote 0
Expectation: Best FPS of 2011-2012-2013-andbeyond

Concerns: as mentioned previously - tank/infantry being separate maps. And well if they are - it'd be nice to have them labeled as so.
Being new to ROOST and joining a map with some generic russian/german location I've never heard of. Only to find after loading It's tanks only (and i'm an infantry dood)

Would be nice to have something like the source engine (de_ is the bomb game type, gg_ gun game etc)
On game release we know that Gumrak will be tank only

Reactions: MrLebanon
Upvote 0
I actually made this account to post here.

Looking Forward to: As someone who owns, but never played RO1 (My brother bought it for me when it came out, but I wasn't really into FPS games then, I only started LOVING them a few years ago, and I never really got around to playing RO1), and someone who needs a new multiplayer game to waste my time on, I am hoping that RO2 can supply a more hardcore, PC focused (well it is PC exclusive) gameplay experience. I am looking forward to getting wrecked in the beta, and in the the first weeks of retail. I am really focused on staying on course, and even if I suck at first (which I will) I'll refuse to give up. The whole game just seems to be filled with little details to show tripwire cares (I love Killing Floor as well), I am also really interested to play as the Germans, since I never have really played as them in a game before.

Concerns: My only concerns are things easily fixed. Bugs, Punkbuster, thats about it. I am also sort of concerned about being an average pubby, because in many multiplayer FPS games, playing on random public servers can kind of suck.

Upvote 0