• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Yet more new TE maps.

G_Sajer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
Minnesota
:cool:

This post is related to my response to a thread I noticed in General Discussion
this morning. Two new maps I just got working on Crucible. Their origin is the PGG clan.

TE-Irkutsk and TE-Mostakov

Indeed they work. They have just been Redirect and execution tested.

I tried to perform some research to see if they are based on anything historic.

Irkutsk was one of those Russian industrial cities where production was relocated. But it was so far east that there is no evidence any combat occurred there. It is a combined arms map.

The other map Mostakov is Infantry only. It also appears to have no historic reference.

Both are nice looking pieces of work.

Last edited:
:cool:

The maps are available in a public download link. My understanding of US law is that condition makes them public domain. That allows their use and distribution, but not necessarily their modification without permission.

The PGG web site is posted in the remark above yours. For me it is translated into english and the download section is accessible without restriction.

Upvote 0
Now the question is that how these maps play out ?.

Bugs ?. Balance ?. And all the things that come out when map is released as beta.

Good questions but ask yourself this. Given the complete lack of interest in custom maps from the majority of the server admins. and general player base, do you think the mapper has garnered enough feedback from players to address bugs and balance? And has he then been able to edit the map and make multiple changes (based on real player feedback) that he then tests again and again with even more players? On a full server? If yes, then there's a decent chance that it could be bug free and balanced.

But what if he has suffered the fate of most custom mappers instead? What if he hasn't received a bit of feedback or comment from real, live players? What if he's been sitting in front of his computer for the better part of a year working and re-working a map that he can only test with bots? What if he's lucky to have played the map with ANY live players (much less a full server)?

Now ask yourself these questions:
Would you still expect the map to be bug free and balanced?
Would you refuse to play the map because of a glitch in a texture or a misplaced spawn protection volume or some other "un-polished" issue with the map?
Would you not play the map because one team seems to have some sort of advantage over the other?
Would you stop playing the map because every time you join a server featuring it there is another new, edited version to download?
Would you still join a server if there were only 2 or 3 people playing the map?

Making custom maps is hard. Getting it to the stage where it's bug free and balanced is even harder.

Upvote 0
Now the question is that how these maps play out ?.

Bugs ?. Balance ?. And all the things that come out when map is released as beta.

:cool: They will play like any other beta map. It's a mixed bag. Some are quite, good; others lop-sided. My nine years of experience with RO has led me to conclude that no map, however well refined, is ever more than a beta. One the first things we learned in computer science is to put aside the notion that any piece of software is "finished." Doesn't happen, not even in industry. At best, you reach a beta with enough polish to pass muster in the marketplace. Play the maps and enjoy them to the degree possible. If a map turns out to be a "stinker" the public will simply lose interest in that one and move to another. It's not a problem and the result is very much like Darwin's law. Quality survives. But take my advise, play them and enjoy them. Leave the micro-analysis to those of us that will live forever. They'll have the time to chronicle perfection when it finally arrives. :D

"Making custom maps is hard. Getting it to the stage where it's bug free and balanced is even harder."

You know... That's EXACTLY how I felt about may career and marriage. But you know, the career was for fun and profit, the other one, like Tarawa, still hangs in the balance. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It saddens me that the gen pop doesn't provide more feedback and interest in customs. Heck, I don't even care if they are lopsided. I just like playing. Not all sides were equal in battle. Being totally out gunned and out skilled happened in battles. Adds to the fear of being stuck fighting with a crappy platoon in battle ;^)

Upvote 0
I was in Irkutsk last month.
Lovely town. Very Siberian.
Close to Lake Baikal the largest fresh water source on the plant.

That is the city's emblem which has a funny back story. And you say the Russians have no sense of humour !
IMG_0447.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0