• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

XP with amnesia!?

Grobut

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
Well this is a new one for me.. my mothers system, which apparently im duty bound to fix whenever she breaks it, has come down with a bad case of amnesia..

It refuses to remember basic stuff, like how the desktop looks, startmenu, theme and font size, its all forgotten after every reboot, and when starting up, you are greeted by this lovely error message informing you that it cant find the desktop theme and yadda yadda yadda, takes forever for it to start up too.

Anyone have this happen before? know a fix? or have a nifty idea of where i should start the troubleshooting?

Grobut, if you have her windows install disk handy, pop it in then go to start / run and type "sfc /scannow" enter.

This will replace all the critical windows files without having to start from scratch.

You may have to update windows again however.

Good luck.

I'll try the user account trick first, but if that doesen't work i'll certainly try this! thanks :)

Upvote 0