• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] WWI CAN be done in a game.

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
Some of you might say that WWI was all stalemates and wouldn't work in a game, but I disagree. Just watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c20-fm_WNew

That would make for an awesome game, or at least a mod.

Just imagine: you spawn as a soldier in a blood-soaked, muddy trench. You form a line with your teammates, nervously waiting for the whistle... it's eerily silent except the sound of the raindrops falling on your helmet and the coughs of the soldiers next to you... then the whistle. As the officer shouts "OVER THE TOP!" you charge with your team into No Man's Land, greeted by machinegun bullets. You go in for a massive bayo charge...

Seriously, I really do believe that it would be a good game. Or like a mod for RO2, for example. The bolt-action rifles already work great, the bayo charges are already there. If a team performs well, they can be rewarded in the form of artillery or a strafing run, or maybe even a tank. It doesn't have to be just trench warfare either, the final part of the map could be set in a destroyed village.

RO is already quite similar... I mean, Basovka comes pretty damn close. It can be done. It just has to be proven first.

Lyrics:
Paschendale

Steve Harris, Adrian Smith

In a foreign field he lay. Lonely soldier unknown grave
On his dying words he prays. Tell the world of Paschendale

Relive all that he's been through. Last communion of his soul
Rust your bullets with his tears. Let me tell you 'bout his years

Laying low in a blood filled trench. Kill time 'til my very own death
On my face I can feel the falling rain. Never see my friends again

In the smoke in the mud and lead. Smell the fear and the feeling of dread
Soon be time to go over the wall. Rapid fire and the end of us all

Whistles, shouts and more gun fire. Lifeless bodies hang on barbed wire
Battlefield nothing but a bloody tomb. Be reunited with my dead friends soon

Many soldiers eighteen years. Drown in mud no more tears
Surely a war no-one can win. Killing time about to begin

Home, far away. From the war, a chance to live again
Home, far away. But the war, no chance to live again

The bodies of ours and our foes. The sea of death it overflows
In no man's land god only knows. Into jaws of death we go

Crucified as if on a cross. Allied troops they mourn their loss
German war propaganda machine. Such before has never been seen

Swear I heard the angels cry. Pray to god no more may die
So that people know the truth. Tell the tale of Paschendale

Cruelty has a human heart. Every man does play his part
Terror of the men we kill. The human heart is hungry still

I stand my ground for the very last time. Gun is ready as I stand in line
Nervous wait for the whistle to blow. Rush of blood and over we go

Blood is falling like the rain. It's crimson cloak unveils again
The sound of guns can't hid their shame. and so we die on Paschendale

Dodging shrapnel and barbed wire. Running straight at the cannon fire
Running blind as I hold my breath. Say a prayer symphony of death

As we charge the enemy lines. A burst of fire and we go down
I choke a cry but no-one hears. Fell the blood go down my throat

Home, far away. From the war, a chance to live again
Home, far away. But the war, no chance to live again

See my spirit on the wind. Across the lines beyond the hill
Friend and foe will meet again. Those who died at Paschendale

Last edited:
Agreed, there can be done so much more in this area.

Also, Iron Maiden's Paschendale equals win <3
If anyone wonders, that video is composed of material from the remake of All quiet on the Western Front.
Great movie, though i havent seen the original so i cant compare. I've heard this one is a bit weaker, but still i think it's a great moving movie.
The book is nothing short of the most shocking thing i've ever read, wich is exactly what i was looking for when i started looking for books in this setting.

I highly recommend watching the entire youtube video :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi! New poster here.

Got an idea for ww1 mod or game. Dunno if anyone has tried this, but here goes. It's about assaulting other teams trenches.

Officer could give an order for soldiers to charge (displayed as whistle :p). It would then give the charging team 5 sec respawn-time while defenders would have normal 20 sec. This would give an image of bigger group of enemies assaulting your trenches. They would probably have better change making through no-mans-land too! The charge would take certain amount of time like 5 mins and in that time charging team should try to overwhelm the defenders. If they don't succeed they could get a penalty (or/and back to normal spawn time) so defenders could push them back. Then repeat until done.

Would that work in ww1 game?

Upvote 0
Just imagine: you spawn as a soldier in a blood-soaked, muddy trench. You form a line with your teammates, nervously waiting for the whistle... it's eerily silent except the sound of the raindrops falling on your helmet and the coughs of the soldiers next to you... then the whistle. As the officer shouts "OVER THE TOP!" you charge with your team into No Man's Land, greeted by machinegun bullets. You go in for a massive bayo charge...

Seriously, I really do believe that it would be a good game. Or like a mod for RO2, for example. The bolt-action rifles already work great, the bayo charges are already there. If a team performs well, they can be rewarded in the form of artillery or a strafing run, or maybe even a tank. It doesn't have to be just trench warfare either, the final part of the map could be set in a destroyed village.

RO is already quite similar... I mean, Basovka comes pretty damn close. It can be done. It just has to be proven first.
Preaching to the converted man.
However, don't expect Iron Europe to be released any time soon. Things have been quite on that front for a looooong time now. Which is a shame really, because in comparison to the other mods, the work needed to get a decent first release out is actually rather small. And like you said, most of the associated features of a WWI battlefield are already in RO.

Upvote 0
It could make a great singleplayer game but I dunno about multiplayer.
I have to disagree. The past couple sundays I have played in the BF1918 revival event and honest to god team work won the day. On Cambrai on the british side we used infantry with excellent tank and artillery support to capture one cp after another. Everyone did their job without having to talk about what to do.

Upvote 0
However, don't expect Iron Europe to be released any time soon.

I'm on the Iron Europe Developer's Team, and part of the problem is, right now, we only have a couple of people working on the Mod.

What we really need are more people; even just one or two more volunteers would greatly help what we're trying to accomplish.

You can devote as little or as much time each week as you desire. Even just around an hour a week or every two weeks would help (we give frequent "just ask" unpaid vacations too :) or if you have something else important you have to do); if you want to spend some more time, that would be great.

Then, we simply communicate through text messages at the Iron Europe or at the RO Forums, and post our results at the Forum. So, you can live anywhere in the world and also work on the mod if you desire.

Right now, we need people to join our group and basically just do research for the game maps we are planning for our first release; this would include looking up things like historical photos, maps, websites, regimental histories, weapons, etc.

And we're always looking for people to help us out.

Anyone can do this, and I can help them and give them advice on what to do and what to look up. As a matter of fact, I have a directory of WWI related web sites that I can recommend to others in order to get them started.

I've already completed research for two of our maps (First Ypres, 1914: Langemarck; Gheluvelt); and I think we're planning a six map initial release, so that just lead 4 more, and we've done a little research already on one of those (Delville Wood).

Now what takes a little bit more skill is making the maps; fortunately, it is simple to learn Unreal Technolgy (RO's engine) mapping skills because there is a site which provides absolutely free Unreal Technology tutorial videos, and the RO Unreal Technology SDK Editor is in the Tools section of Steam when you open RO up.

www.3dBuzz.com

We have one mapper for Iron Europe (me), but that is too few because 6 maps for one person is a lot; so we really could use one or more mappers (or someone who is willing to learn; don't worry, we'll give you plenty of time to do so:)).

And if anyone wants to help on the uniforms and weapons, that would be great too.

I didn't really know a lot about the First World War before joining this mod, just when it was fought; so you don't need any prior historical WWI knowledge.

If you learn the mapping, you'll learn about the building blocks and structure of RO as a game and see a lot of things you probably didn't notice before); but best of all, by working on Iron Europe, you'll learn a lot about WWI: about the men who fought and gave their lives, the generals, the weapons, and the battles.

And really, the best thing about working on a Mod like this is that you will play a part in helping gamers all over the world learn more about one of the most important events of the 20th century, the First World War, which is often overshadowed by WWII, and the men who sacrificed their lives in this horrible, costly war.

It's real easy to get started if someone out there wants to help.

First, just private message me at this RO Forum and tell me that you're interested, and I'll get the Mod Leader to private message you.

Finally, just a word of advice: in life, if you really want something to get done, you really have to go out and do it. Waiting for someone else to do it just doesn't get you anywhere.

Iron Europe:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm on the Iron Europe Developer's Team, and part of the problem is, right now, we only have a couple of people working on the Mod.
So am I. Another one of our problems I guess, nobody knows whats goin on.
Also most of the research is done for the first release, theres several map ideas based on battles on the somme with rough sketches drawn up, and the research for equipment has been done. ****, there was even a German player model floating about at one time.
Does Iron Europe have a website?
http://forums.darkesthourgame.com/
We're at the bottom there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another one of our problems I guess, nobody knows whats goin on.
Also most of the research is done for the first release, theres several map ideas based on battles on the somme with rough sketches drawn up, and the research for equipment has been done. ****, there was even a German player model floating about at one time.

I think what A-tree is referring to is that one of the problems our Mod Team has encountered is that I was accidentally banned by a Darkest Hour Adminstrator from the DH and Iron Europe Forums, and, although Aeneas tried hard to get me back on he was unable to due to a computer snafu.

We're still trying to get that resolved, but the fact is we do know what we're doing, i.e. making a First World War Mod for RO.

That is our goal.

It is just some of the means of achieving that goal still need to be worked out, and it would be much easier to discuss those means if I was able to get back on the Forum!!

I'm still doing work on the mod, writing the map introductions and regiment descriptions, and researching the uniforms.

Someone on our team is working on Deville Wood, and I'll start researching Thiepval when I'm finished writing the introductory materials.

Iron Europe:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's good to see that people aren't claiming that World War I can't be done for once. It's a very under appreciated area of history, and it really has potential.

I've always wanted a WWI tactical strategy game, realistic along the lines of the Close Combat series, with some limited base building (supply depots, HQ, etc...) with really kickass graphics. Hell I even made a 70 something design document on it a few years back. I hope I still have it on my Computer back home.

The Design doc was originally for a WWII game but I tried on two separate occasions to start up a team and make an entire game ( :rolleyes: ) but failed both times. I was 14-16 at the time, gimme a break I'm naive.
Decide to change it to WWI since it hasn't been done before and WWII has.

Upvote 0