• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWAUT - Preparing For Spring

OK I have a question. Is there any specific difference between a LMG and an assault rifle in general? If this Stoner-63 is in an assault rifle configuration and it has a box magazine, what keeps it in LMG status?

Only thing I can think of is caliber, but I don't know if a different configuration would change that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
pie1055;n2287932 said:
OK I have a question. Is there any specific difference between a LMG and an assault rifle in general? If this Stoner-63 is in an assault rifle configuration and it has a box magazine, what keeps it in LMG status?

Only thing I can think of is caliber, but I don't know if a different configuration would change that.

IRL or in game? IRL I believe LMGs have longer effective firing range than Assault Rifles. They can also spit out a larger amount of bullets depending on the setup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been waiting YEARS (without mods) to play with a lmg in killing floor! Thanks Tripwire! Its nice to see the trajectory of KF2 following the first one as far as outstanding post release support. Side note: We are all drooling over the weapons, but did anyone notice that TWI put a face on the "trader" character. We may be getting another lady to shoot zeds with soon as well!

Upvote 0
pie1055;n2287932 said:

Are you talking about LMGs in terms of video game applications or battlefield applications?

In terms of battlefield applications, LMGs in intermediate calibers (5.56x45, 5.45X39 and 7.62X39) are better suited for suppressing fire than assault rifles. This is because LMGs use longer and heaver barrels to allow a much higher heat capacity. Some LMGs even have quick change barrels that can be swapped out in order to keep firing. Belt feed systems are also used to hold much more ammo at once. The all come with their own downsides such as adding weight and complexity to firearms and drastically increase the cost of manufacturing rifles.

There are of course IARs (Infantry Automatic Rifles) which are essentially Assault rifles with longer and heaver barrels that lose the ability for quick change barrels and belt feed mechanisms in order to keep down cost and share parts commonality with assault rifles while still providing better covering fire than assault rifles.

TL;DR: No gun is perfect at everything.

Back to KF2

Kittenmittens is wrong on the description of the Stoner63, if you look at the renders, the gun is using the belt feeding mechanism. The belt is simply held inside of box for transportation.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for lmgs for YEARS as well. The argues (or more aggressively, riots) about the OP of lmg had ravaged the forum for years, and ruined my ability to tolerate them. I am clearly aware that lmg or iar does not have any OP issue since they are no more than big magazine assault rifles.

Thanks for shutting up that IDIOTIC OP argument!

Upvote 0