• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

would this offend you?

So you want to take RO and make it not-RO ?
That completly defeats the point of the game man.

Last time i checked Tripwire took Unreal Tournament and turned it into a realistic ww2 shooter.
Doesn't that defeat the whole point of UT then (in your opinion)?

You see mod tools, serve a purpose and its even more cool when teams actually do fully blown total convertsions and not just small mods. This game has the potential to serve as a gateway for many types of players, modders, competetive guys and/or even more casual folks and i don't see any downside with that at all.

Besides they are mods, if you have anything against them you can always just walk away.. no one forces you to play mods, but i find this discussion absurd, if it was the cod or bf community we would be screaming to just get the damn tools.. but here we're arguing about pathetic differences in preferred mods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love RO is also do enjoy a game of bc2. There are loads of people that want a WW2 game even if its not super realistic, hell I may even play a mod like this and just skip bc2 when I want some fast paced fun.

Its a mod so its not like all people that buy the game are just going to start playing it, over the actual game.

If it was actually to be a game setting I'd be apposed. As I think new players would flock to it instead of giving themselves a chance to learn the mechanics and miss what ro2 is about. I don't see that happing with a mod that would if ever, come after the game was released.

You just beat me by stating the only argument everyone forgets all about.
I love RO1 and I will play RO2 till the middle of the night.
However sometimes I just want something like TF2, BC2 and other 'arcady stuff'. Just putting my brain at zero and holding left-mouse button is fun sometimes.

Since BF3 will have functions I don't like (and not functions I would like; mod-tools) and it's published by EA (server-kicks as in BC2) I will not get it anyway, and I haven't found a suitable arcady shooter to get to play next to RO2.

So this mod would be great to have some arcady shooting when I just don't feel like doing tactics so much.

+1 to OP:D

Upvote 0
You just beat me by stating the only argument everyone forgets all about.
I love RO1 and I will play RO2 till the middle of the night.
However sometimes I just want something like TF2, BC2 and other 'arcady stuff'. Just putting my brain at zero and holding left-mouse button is fun sometimes.

Since BF3 will have functions I don't like (and not functions I would like; mod-tools) and it's published by EA (server-kicks as in BC2) I will not get it anyway, and I haven't found a suitable arcady shooter to get to play next to RO2.

So this mod would be great to have some arcady shooting when I just don't feel like doing tactics so much.

+1 to OP:D

Ya... sometimes I like to turn on some music super loud and turn all the sound off in RO while I'm eating a sandwhich with one hand. This mod would be perfectly suiting to that style of play :cool:.

Upvote 0
On a serious note though, ignore the elitist clowns on here. Just cause they might have a nerd rage fit over your mod doesn't mean others wouldn't enjoy it.

I think we can drop this now. We got the point some people got their panties in a bundle. For others it was just a misunderstanding. We can move on now. I don't mean to sound like I am trying to sound angry, but I think the discussion needs to continue about the mod. This topic is just making a lot of people look like an ***. If you don't like even the thought of it (the part where it's a mod, not the precious game changing), just leave the topic alone. Calling everyone out at this point is unnecessary, as one of the Dev's certainly did a damn fine job on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I'm going to wade in here, wielding a big lump of wood...

J, M & J... a guys pops up on our forums talking about creating a mod (NOT asking us to do it), to help draw his more arcade-minded friends into the fold. And you lot start flaming on him?

Personally, I think it is a fine idea. Yes, they'd be missing a bunch of the core game mechanics - but they'd also be exposed to them. If they don't like it after that, that is just fine. But if they do like it, they'll most probably step into relaxed realism servers and learn some more of the mechanics. Another "gateway drug".

There is a limit to how far we can (time/budget) go towards attracting arcade-minded players. There is also a limit to what we want to do - and relaxed realism is really outside our scope. But it is NOT outside the scope of people wanting to mod the core game.

So here is the full-on rant to the RO "hard-core" fans from me:

What the flying feck is the matter with some of you people? There are bazillions of new warm bodies out there that would actually like to find their way into the RO fold. When people are willing to find ways to help them - even if you wouldn't enjoy that "mode" yourself - why the sh1t would you immediately leap on them and slap them? If they are whiny little bastards, they won't stay and they won't "bother" you. But, in an ideal world, they will become converts, stay and contribute fully to the beast that is RO.

I think I am going give up my personal membership of the Elitist Prick Club and ban the next camel-humper who punches people who want to help us all. If people want to help, by all means say "I wouldn't play that version if you paid me" - but do NOT (repeat do NOT) poke them in the eye and treat them like scum for suggesting it.

So - try the concept of WELCOMING newcomers and their ideas.

Ok, i feel i need to adress this, because.. Alan, that was a tad uncalled for, nobody called the guy scum or even hinted at it, sure, they could have been more laid back about presenting their opinion, and it would have been prudent to step in and say "guys, take it down a notch, it's just a mod idea, chill", but they didn't deserve the public flogging you just gave them for it, nor does this entire community.

I know you guys are in crunch mode, you are probably spending way to much time working, and not nearly enough time sleeping and seeing your family, i get that, i also realize that TWI must be taking a big risk with this title, and the budget that's going into it, so i do understand where the reaction comes from.

But lead by positive example instead of chewing people out, this isen't the first time one of you guys have flipped your lid like this out of frustration, and sadly, it usually hits the wrong people, often good contributers to this community who where just having a bad day and just needed a nudge in the right direction, and not the real bad apples we do have around here who actually make a habit of attacking newbies.

But what do you expect? There's little moderation here, even our Community manager spends more time promoting the game on other forums than he does posting here. I know you guys are developers first and forum mods second, and we really do appreaciate it every time you guys come and give us news and fill us in on topics, and as Dev's you are posting more than any other company i've delt with and i love that. But as forum moderators.. well things are a bit anarchic and lawless around here, and things can snowball before anything is done about it, often creating tensions that spill into other threads before anything is done.

Maybe it's time to draw on the community, get some of the long time posters here a badge and a gun and put them to use, there's lots of oldtimers here who probably could do some real good around the place if given the chance and incentive.
You could make a thread and take nominations, see who the community would put their trust in.

Considdering this community is run somewhat by mob rule at times, the tone here is actually supricingly sober, if rather set in it's ways and dismissive of new influences, and i'm not saying we need a cabal of jackbooted thugs to run around handing out infractions for every little thing, i do enjoy that this is a place where ideas can be echanged, even when thouse ideas are "i don't like this, because..".

But what we really could use is an effort to steer things away from the mob rule mentality, to come in and say "nothing wrong with the opinion, but you don't have to state it that harshly, keep it civil", to catch things before they snowball, and actually be able to put some weight behind it aswell if people won't listen, because they don't if it's just coming from a faceless redshirt like me.

Upvote 0
That's why we like mods. Maybe someone can create a sci-fi team DM shooter, call it something like, oh, I dunno... "Real Tournament" or something :)

Joking aside: yes, we believe in the FULL SDK thing, just because it can only be good for us in the long run. Why NOT do it??

HUGE QUOTE

why others companies (who said DICE or Creative Assembly?) do not understand this simple thing?

Upvote 0
As well as a zombie mod, it would not offend me..

It is simple, if people do not want to play the original RO2, they just won't. But if for example they see a friend playing a gamemod they really like, then it is possible they buy the game only for this mod !
The more TWI sells RO2, the more they will earn money and being able to use it wisely ! =)
Which means, we will get much better games and encourage Competition !

But I guess it has already been said :D

Upvote 0
Quite honestly, as a modmaker i wouldn't give a **** if i offended someone with my mod. A mod is a mod, it has nothing to do with the stock game, and i encourage the OP to create whatever he wants, thats the way ideas are born.

The way to go is usually, create a mod that you and your team enjoys and wants to play. That usually ends up a lot better and more passionate than if you create a mod for the sole purpose to entertain/please others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3 years down the road:

"hay have you seen this mod?"
"Yes it looks amazing!! I really want it!!"
"what game is it for??"
"Red orchestra 2"
"Sweet! I'm going to go buy it just to play this mod!!"

This isn't exactly flattering to the original concept of ro, but there are people out there that think this way. People who normally would never have anything to do with this game if it weren't for the mod. And who knows, maybe one day they will try the original Ro2 and be delighted.
9 years down the road, in BF1942 Desert Combat youtube vids, I see this happening still :D

Upvote 0
wow what a thread.
OK I'm going to just assume here that there are quite a few of us who started out our online FPS gaming with something like Medal of Honor, then moved on to DoD1.3, CoD1, UO, DoD:S etc. And now it looks like quite a few of those people are turning around and saying that ALL of that experience was total crap and how dare ANYONE even SUGGEST otherwise....because RO:Ost is SO much better than ANY of those games.

(which it is...but still)

Thank God Almighty for Tripwire and their wisdom of putting out MOD TOOLS so ANYONE out there with a brain and an idea can do something about it. Just like THEY did....so most of YOU wouldn't HAVE TO FOR YOUR OWN selves.

So to the OP...dude.....WELCOME to RO. I wish you all the best, go for it. I probably won't play it myself, but by all means have at it. If it brings in 100 people to the core game who see the light...great. If it brings in 1000 people who only want to play your version, then great too.

Upvote 0
OP, go ahead and do the mod! It will attract more people into the game, some may find its way into RO itself, others will stick with the mod. The bottom line is that you are doing something you enjoy doing with a game you enjoy and by doing it you bring new blood to the game and word of the game is spread even further.

As someone who is part of the Crosshairs podcast and the CoD/BF communities this mod has the potential of bringing in a LOT of new gamers into RO2, and since it's a mod anyone who doesn't want to play it won't and those who want to play it will. I can assure you all, however, that there's a huge crowd out there just waiting to know of such a mod to take the plunge into RO2, and some, hopefully many, of them will eventually also find their way into RO2 main game.

And that will benefit us all, the RO community, Tripwire, PC gamers and PC gaming and the power of mods. Who knows, maybe the mod could be used to shut up those who keep saying mods don't sell.

Upvote 0
The whole zombie thing people are kinda kidding about, but honestly that could be pretty sweet.

Blasting through a zombie horde attacking the capzone with an HE shell from your T-34? Fun? YES!

If someone did it really well it could be amazing IMO. Especially if it were given a cool Indiana Jones-esque backstrory (Nazi archaeological expedition uncovered some ancient evil, turned them all into the undead etc.)

Could be the first "realistic WW2 zombie shooter" lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vyllis
Upvote 0
The whole zombie thing people are kinda kidding about, but honestly that could be pretty sweet.

Blasting through a zombie horde attacking the capzone with an HE shell from your T-34? Fun? YES!

If someone did it really well it could be amazing IMO. Especially if it were given a cool Indiana Jones-esque backstrory (Nazi archaeological expedition uncovered some ancient evil, turned them all into the undead etc.)

Could be the first "realistic WW2 zombie shooter" lol.

Could also mimic Max Brooks' World War Z scenarios:D
Would be awesome

Upvote 0
again guys,

Just so you all know, no offense taken by anyone. I would not have titled my thread "would you be offended" if I didnt think people would be offended of using this engine/game for an arcade style FPS. In fact in most game forums all you have to do is mention COD and people will immediately tell you how much they hate that style of game (usually very colorfully). I dont mind that game; obviously there are a lot of people who do or it wouldn't be that popular. Personally, my preference for arcade style action is closer to DODS, but thats not really the point right now.

Also, if I had the time and resources, I would probably go toward a full conversion mod. The fact is, I know a bit of programming and can tinker but cant do any modeling or animation etc. so thats not the direction I was going anyway.

But why convert a game into something closer to another game when you can play that game (heard that sentiment several times). Well first of all, I am not going to recreate any game. All I was going to do was slap a crosshair on and lock free aim and any adjustments would go from there (maybe take out the cover system if it doesn't work). Next, this game already has some great modes of play that are not in other games, mainly the countdown mode. Finally, of course new maps and weapons to play with. So its not just going to be a recreation but taking the existing game and making it fast paced. You could consider this a gateway, because it does acclimate the arcade style players to the maps, gameplay modes, etc., but really, its just using the engine for a new game. But sales are sales, and if anything, this is the only game that will allow this kind of modding for a while to come.

Last, its not even given that I will even do this. I would like to try, just for the hell of it. It doesn't sound too difficult to make this style mod, so I figure its a great place to start. Again, if I had the talent and resources I would go for making a sci-fi game more similar to Killzone 2 or BF2142 (only good), but I doubt that will happen. I understand that most of you would not play the mod, I would hope some of you will try it just for fun, but I really dont care if it isnt popular. Its not like I am going to spend much time on it, unless people want me to.

Anyway. Thanks for all your input. And as I said before, dont worry, Ill still be playing the main game so you can all 'shoot me' if you dont like me :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its probably pretty doable what you want.

However I'd recommend you trying it out first, because at least for hip shooting I think RO's system is better than any other game. Not based on realism or anything, it just actually allows you to get better at hitting a distance through practise.

If you want to make it more fast paced, i'd start with allowing all animations to be done faster (think of reload) and increase the default speeds. And perhaps lower the damage. And perhaps remove the free aim. Crosshairs means that you have to add cone fire, so please don't add those :p.

Gameplay wise you should then end up with something a bit close to Killingfloor in handling. Download that game on steam its cheap anyway, and try that out. Still has a Red Orchestra flavour to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0