• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

would this offend you?

Its probably pretty doable what you want.

However I'd recommend you trying it out first, because at least for hip shooting I think RO's system is better than any other game.

I am not sure some of you are getting what I am going for. First of all, I will play RO, I have played it since the UT mod and I do like the realism, I do like the free aim etc. This game isnt meant necessarily to be a replacement for RO, its like an addition, for when you dont want the realism. Its also not for those who are adamant about the reality, its an escape, either for those who play both, or for those who simply will not play the hardcore realism mode.

Reactions: OneDuck and Actin
Upvote 0
For those bashing mods..

For those bashing mods..

Because you feel that it'll "take away from what RO stands for"

you do realize...
RO is a mod of this engine/franchise right?

YouTube - ‪Unreal Tournament III E3 2007 Trailer‬‏

My point being.. you wouldn't have been playing if RO if a certain mod team (TWI) did not take one game (unreal tournament) and turn it into something completely different (RO)

As with Killing Floor (which was a mod of RO, a mod of a mod)

So for all those comments "ahhh don't mod RO2 i'm not gonna play that mod it'll bring over CoD players ohh nooooo"

THE GAME WOULD NOT EXIST IF TWI DID NOT DECIDE TO MOD UT
Let the mods mod what they wanna mod
If it births to new games (eg Killing floor - raking in more money for TWI) then YAY
If it provides a free change of pace / break from RO2 for some people
but keeps them on RO2
then also
YAY

/rant

Reactions: OneDuck
Upvote 0
I havent got the impression people are against mods per-se. Just some people feel its a bastardization to mod something thats so completely different to the core tenets of this game.

What astounds me is that no one seems really to be open to even trying another mod. Its like everyone here plays one type of game. I play many types, arcade, realism, etc. I just felt it would be fun to add a new mode for when I dont want to play realism at the moment.

Upvote 0
I havent got the impression people are against mods per-se. Just some people feel its a bastardization to mod something thats so completely different to the core tenets of this game.

What astounds me is that no one seems really to be open to even trying another mod. Its like everyone here plays one type of game. I play many types, arcade, realism, etc. I just felt it would be fun to add a new mode for when I dont want to play realism at the moment.

I think that might be because arcade fun can be found in pretty much 90% of all games available right now, while RO2 is doing something unique and something that isnt seen much anymore these days.
To turn it around into something arcade seems a bit pointless to me with so many other options available out there.

For example, a cod/dod kind of gameplay mod is something i personally would not play because that kind of gameplay can be found in various other shooters as well (Homefront, MoH, Battlefield series etc).
However, the Warhammer 40k mod is something i would definitely try because Warhammer = awesome but more importantly, there arent any good Warhammer 40k shooters available (with the possible exception of the upcoming Space Marine game), which makes it quite unique too.

From what i gathered from your plan in your original post that just doesnt seem to be the case.
Like you said, you want it to be a gateway into the game, and to be that it needs to be a lot like other games instead of something of it's own that stands out.
Mods are interesting to me because they are unique and usually try to offer something not found in retail games. Therefor, a cod/dod gameplay mod would not be interesting for me, because if i wanted that kind of gameplay, i'd play those games instead of a mod.
There also doesnt seem to be much incentive to buy RO2 for such a mod in my honest opinion. It'd seem much safer to me to just buy the game the mod is trying to kind of recreate to be sure of a bigger playerbase.

Upvote 0
I think that might be because arcade fun can be found in pretty much 90% of all games available right now, while RO2 is doing something unique and something that isnt seen much anymore these days....

and thats fair enough. but for people like me, there are many games out there that are arcade that stop short of being a good PC game.

1) this game has a full SDK and modding so the community can continue to support it. (COD, BFBC2, BF3, etc. dont)
2) this game has open dedicated servers. (COD:BO, BFBC2, etc dont)
3) this game has /record function and spectator modes. (lol no one does this anymore)
4) this game has new gameplay modes. (many games have cool modes but this game has something new with countdown that I think the COD, W:ET, DODS, CSS players would enjoy)
5) this game has new maps, weapons etc. (ok, not anything ground breaking, but its still something new).

SO why mod this game instead of modding the other games?
TWI has done this already. I dont have to make new maps, I can use the ones with RO2. I dont have to model new weapons. Animations may be an issue, but we can see how they work. I dont have to worry about an engine not allowing spectating and recording for cheaters, leagues, or even dedicated servers that anyone can run. THE OTHER GAMES JUST CANT COMPETE WITH WHAT TWI IS OFFERING!

so yea, I could go play those other games, but what recent other game has all of this. There are a lot of abandoned COD fans because they dont have these anymore and DODS and CSS has no hope of ever seeing a sequel. So believe it or not, even if there is an arcade style game, theres a lot this game can give that the other games dont (to PC gamers).

Reactions: heady89 and slavek
Upvote 0
Nobody is bashing mods?

there have been a few posts

That's what I'm getting at.. some people seem to think modding is going to taint the game with unholiness or something around those lines

I was just pointing out that we wouldn't be here on these forums with TWI if their modding team hadn't decided to do something extremely different with the UT engine

And they would not be releasing the SDK if they did not want community members to mod and mess around with the game
even if that means making "Call of Heroes: Black Orchestra"

Last edited:
Reactions: slavek
Upvote 0
and thats fair enough. but for people like me, there are many games out there that are arcade that stop short of being a good PC game.

1) this game has a full SDK and modding so the community can continue to support it. (COD, BFBC2, BF3, etc. dont)
2) this game has open dedicated servers. (COD:BO, BFBC2, etc dont)
3) this game has /record function and spectator modes. (lol no one does this anymore)
4) this game has new gameplay modes. (many games have cool modes but this game has something new with countdown that I think the COD, W:ET, DODS, CSS players would enjoy)
5) this game has new maps, weapons etc. (ok, not anything ground breaking, but its still something new).

SO why mod this game instead of modding the other games?
TWI has done this already. I dont have to make new maps, I can use the ones with RO2. I dont have to model new weapons. Animations may be an issue, but we can see how they work. I dont have to worry about an engine not allowing spectating and recording for cheaters, leagues, or even dedicated servers that anyone can run. THE OTHER GAMES JUST CANT COMPETE WITH WHAT TWI IS OFFERING!

so yea, I could go play those other games, but what recent other game has all of this. There are a lot of abandoned COD fans because they dont have these anymore and DODS and CSS has no hope of ever seeing a sequel. So believe it or not, even if there is an arcade style game, theres a lot this game can give that the other games dont (to PC gamers).

Can't argue against that :)

Upvote 0
I am not sure some of you are getting what I am going for. First of all, I will play RO, I have played it since the UT mod and I do like the realism, I do like the free aim etc. This game isnt meant necessarily to be a replacement for RO, its like an addition, for when you dont want the realism. Its also not for those who are adamant about the reality, its an escape, either for those who play both, or for those who simply will not play the hardcore realism mode.

You're free to do what you want with it. But since its a public forum I like to give my opinion as well, no need to leash out on me, or go in self defence mode...

Killing floor is pretty much an arcade title as well, that's why I voiced my opinion that making it control similar to killing floor could be a good method of making it more accessible and quick paced.

The nice thing is then that it will likely attract to a big player base that plays KF right now, making it easier for your modification to obtain a critical mass. Most people that play KF at the moment will buy ROHOS, and they might not like free aim or slower movement and all that stuff either.

I love playing unreal tournament 3, and don't really care that much for realism as long as the game play is fun. RO by default got somewhat slower game play than other titles, and speeding things up in a fashion close to KF could attract to quite some people.

I don't mind cross-hairs but I personally simply hate cone of fire, as whether you hit or not doesn't become a factor of skill but a factor of the random generator. That's why my personal preference would go out to making the control act closer to KF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're free to do what you want with it. But since its a public forum I like to give my opinion as well, no need to leash out on me, or go in self defence mode...

no sorry, it wasn't meant as a lash out against you. You said I should try RO, and I was trying to say that I have already and will continue to play RO. I was just clearing up any confusion that I was unhappy with RO currently; thats not the case.

Upvote 0
I don't mind cross-hairs but I personally simply hate cone of fire, as whether you hit or not doesn't become a factor of skill but a factor of the random generator. That's why my personal preference would go out to making the control act closer to KF.

oh and as far as this section - I agree. I hate cones as well. I prefer recoil (which is why I like DODS more than COD). However, we will just have to see what works with what is given.

Also, just so everyone knows, its just an idea at this point. If its not worth the time or effort, or just doesn't work, it wont ever get made anyway (like any other mod).

Reactions: nebsif
Upvote 0

When I "rad" the original post all I could see is "I want a COD mode in RO2" (but didnt reply out of faith in TWI).
RO is like my last hope in the game industry, when I saw stuff like RO+fast paced+mode in the same paragraph I automatically rejected it. =|
(Not that I wouldnt try a high quality casual/fast paced mod)

Joking aside: yes, we believe in the FULL SDK thing, just because it can only be good for us in the long run. Why NOT do it??
So you can sell tanks and RO1 maps as DLCs from day 1?
But srsly, people who wouldnt ever buy ARMA2 and it's DLCs are now buying it for PR;A2 b4 its even out, but I guess its better for some companies to sell DLCs, let the game die quick and make people buy the next game after a year instead of playing the same one and it's mods for 4 years.

Just seeing you and Yosh reply in threads like that makes me wanna scream take my money simply cuz it shows you care. :IS2: <3

Upvote 0
Nobody is bashing mods?

I for one, can't stand Mods, with their tailor made suits and motor scooters.

modsquad.jpg

(the Mod Squad)

Reactions: Landrik and jalex3
Upvote 0
You're free to make a mod, of course.

Personally speaking, however, I'd rather the (general) crowd of CoD players stay away from this game. To be fair, they tend to be only motivated by getting as many kills and as little deaths as possible. Trust me, I know first hand as I've owned most of them for the pc. Stopped playing after I discovered RO and other more "realistic" games, with slightly different communities.

Upvote 0
You're free to make a mod, of course.

Personally speaking, however, I'd rather the (general) crowd of CoD players stay away from this game. To be fair, they tend to be only motivated by getting as many kills and as little deaths as possible. Trust me, I know first hand as I've owned most of them for the pc. Stopped playing after I discovered RO and other more "realistic" games, with slightly different communities.

yes but I doubt the KD crazed CoDDers could manage to do well in RO
= more sponges for my MG

Reactions: Landrik
Upvote 0