• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Worst World War II (Themed) Movie Ever....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ESCAPE TO VICTORY WINS HANDS DOWN got be seen to be believed!!! man even pele was a better actor than stalone in that movie.. so bad it's hilarious.. but steve mcQueen did look cool as f***. in the great escape. then we had old frankie boy getting shot in the back running for that train in von ryan's express you knew it was comming for 90 mins but he seen the brits off safetly. salute to frankie boy then falls on the railtrack dead as...:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bolt said:
2Gitano
These you should watch
They fought for Motherland http://imdb.com/title/tt0073488/
Ya - russkij soldat (I'm russian soldier) http://imdb.com/title/tt0203217/
Zvezda (The Star, 2002) http://imdb.com/title/tt0326450/
V boj idut odni stariki (Only old men are going to battle) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070861/
Osvobozhdenie (Liberation) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151852/ That's a long movie, basically, it's half documentary, but believe me, it's worth seeing. You better read that comment on imbd, it is well written.
A zori zdes tihie (The Dawns Here Are Quiet) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068161/ Very touching movie.
Dang, i forgot one more: Battalions ask for fire http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088777/

Now these i call must-see movies.

Are these movies including nationalistic views? (propaganda)

Upvote 0
Um.. Well, does Das Boot include nationalistic view?
They were all shot (exept for The Star and Russian soldier) in Soviet union, so of course there will be some propaganda, show me a movie which doesn't have.
But almost in every movie, which i've mentioned, there is no happy ending, nor there is no stalinism, like in 1920-30's movies. They tell the stories about normal people, which lifes were ruined by war.
For me, Der Stalingrad was like a german "They fought for Motherland", exept that the last one is far better (imho, of course).

Upvote 0
Bolt said:
Um.. Well, does Das Boot include nationalistic view?
They were all shot (exept for The Star and Russian soldier) in Soviet union, so of course there will be some propaganda, show me a movie which doesn't have.
But almost in every movie, which i've mentioned, there is no happy ending, nor there is no stalinism, like in 1920-30's movies. They tell the stories about normal people, which lifes were ruined by war.
For me, Der Stalingrad was like a german "They fought for Motherland", exept that the last one is far better (imho, of course).
ok, just asking, I hate majority of the american war movies because of their own views and worse faked equiptment - so before going to SU movies, I want to make sure I don't waste time on those if they also made on "own views".
I believe ussr had a quite good collection of vehicles for movie industry?

Are there any region 2 DVD releases of these movies?

Upvote 0
The director of Liberation movie had an Army to help shooting the battle scenes. ^^
But i'm not sure if you will like them. They have tonns of "own views". Don't expect that directors of these movies show that soviet people were happy to germans, because they were not. The hatred to fascists in these movies is higher than in any holywood's and there is no shooting Clint Easwood's style as well.

Upvote 0
ROMMEL34 said:
Which one is U-571?? I always confuse it with Das Boot.

Das Boot is a German production about a german submarine. Quite good movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/

U-571 is the fictional story of an american submarine capturing an Enigma device. With Jon Bon Jovi being one of the main actors and the blunt denial of the british who recovered the first Enigme IIRC, I highly doubt it is a good flick. Haven't seen it though, so the final judgement should be taken by someone who has.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141926/

Upvote 0
KIPPO said:
The Great Escape (McQueen as a pilot who was flying wearing chinos a sweat top and leather jacket)
I remember that one! James Garner had a better import rate inside a prisoncamp than the entire US at that time.

The movie was really funny at times and the atmosphere was kinda happy too. It was only to the end that it became quite tragic, with the blind guy shot and all. If it wasn

Upvote 0
Modern Best (each in their own way):
* Memphis Belle: While not an accurate representation of the Belle's actual final mission (which was a milk run) it was terrific in its portrayal of the air war over Europe. I've read a lot of books on the B-17 missions, and the movie conveyed it very well. Naturally, you had the ensemble cast made up of a bunch of stereotypes (the playboy, the serious captain, the cocky gunners), but the environment they were in was executed very, very well. Yeah, the guys on the ground had it bad, but least they could crawl into a foxhole once the enemy fire started. These brave people just had to "take it" and keep it straight and level.
* Saving Private Ryan: Even if the remaining 80% of the movie had been outtakes from a Donny and Marie reunion, the first 20 minutes made it all worthwhile.
* Der Untergang: Several have mentioned this, and it is truly an amazing presentation of the last days of Hitler's insanity.
* Das Boot: This movie really tells it like it is, with no punches pulled. From the production design (where they actually built a full-size submarine, rivet for rivet, and mounted it on hydraulics to get the "sea" motion) to the excellent cast and acting, down to the Hollywood-unfriendly ending.
* Schindler's List: What can I say? Absolutely breathtaking. Has a little bit of the Spielberg "now-I'm-going-to-pull-your-heartstrings" stuff, but is overall brutal and stark.

Inaccurate as hell but still fun to watch:
* Enemy at the Gates: It's just cool to see Mosin Nagants on-screen.... And I thought they did well with production design and cinematography. It gets trashed plenty around here, but many seem to overlook the obvious: at least there was a movie made about WWII that didn't involve American forces in any way! I felt it did a lot to open eyes regarding the Russian stake in WWII, in spite of inaccuracies in the details, and inspired many people (including myself) to do their own reading on the subject matter.

Worst:
* The Thin Red Line: It's like they decided to make a war movie, and forgot to add in the war. I saw this movie once in the theatres and have never desired to see it again. I'm not against art films in any way - however, this film was poorly executed and was completely misrepresented in its advertising.
* U-571: Bon Jovi? Yeah... I was actually excited to see this movie, despite his being casted in it. However, I caught it on TV a couple of years back and was very glad I saved the money.
* Pearl Harbor: Wow....just.... wow....

Upvote 0
Saving Private Ryan infuriates me, but the Normandy landings are amazing and almost redeem the film. The Longest Day is a far better D-Day movie.

Windtalkers was a total abortion of a film. John Woo needs to stay away from war movies.

Now, as for good WW2 movies: (and this isn't based on being 100% realistic, but being damn good)

The Big Red One
Das Boot
Downfall
Band of Brothers
The Longest Day

And some classics that are not even slightly realistic:
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Great Escape
Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes
Sands of Iwo Jima (Yes, it's stupid and jingoistic, but it's John Wayne)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

@SkaWars: Well, ok, u have some valid points but...a matter of taste, finally ;).
Regarding Come and See: Youre right, it is not that gory as many ppl have made it, its just horrific in another way...something i really prefer in movies generally.

KIPPO said:
...its about crap movies its supposed to be a fun thread, ...

Hrhr, too late, i guess. Well, too add something fitting more into the original topic, one of my all-time-favorites as well:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0061789/

Love it :D

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
Kippo, i've been asked, why EaTG is such a shitty film. And i've answered, plus i gave a list of movies, which i think are great, just so that people could compare. It's too bad that i can't find any of them (exept Zvezda) in the net, i wanted to show some extracts to you.. Specificaly, Liberation and Oni srazhalis za rodinu.
Btw, from what i saw in Dirty Dozen, the shooting itself is better made, than in Soviet movies, but of course, the characters are not even close.

Picture from Oni srazhalis za Rodinu.
Plenty of Mosins here, you would like this movie, WickedPenguin. :)
schukschin3.jpg

Upvote 0
ROMMEL34...some towards the end but other than that the entrie movie is about some obscure search for some idiot named Ryan. [/quote said:
That was the whole point of the movie, soldiers given a mission they didnt really believe in, I'm sure you can find lots of faults, wrong guns, tanks, bad german tactics etc.. but all in all, the most important thing in a war movie is that it attempts to give outsiders a look into war, and SPR focuses on soldiers being affected by and torn between war, tragedy, death, loyalty, orders etc in various ways. IMO Its a very good movie, You cant really watch the beach landing without being affected in some way, its one of the most brutal scenes ever made in a movie, and definatly makes you ask questions like "is war worth it?"

And IMO, thats more than I expect from most hollywood movies, if you take into considerations all the other hollywood movies..

Upvote 0
I have strange attitude to SPR.
It has enormous number of holywood cliche's, however, i remember how i watched it when i was 13 years old and how it affected me. When i saw the beachlanding i was sitting with my eyes so big and my mouth opened (like that::eek: ). But then i started to dig some info about ww2 and became ww2 buff. :) And then i realised that the landing scene is not realistic, the plot itself is really unreal etc.
But when they show this film on TV, I still watch it and, even knowing that all this is not true, i enjoy it. I haven't seen BoB (i'll do it in the near future), so i put SPR second to The Thin Red Line among the holywood ww2 movies.

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
Inaccurate as hell but still fun to watch:
* Enemy at the Gates: It's just cool to see Mosin Nagants on-screen.... And I thought they did well with production design and cinematography. It gets trashed plenty around here, but many seem to overlook the obvious: at least there was a movie made about WWII that didn't involve American forces in any way! I felt it did a lot to open eyes regarding the Russian stake in WWII, in spite of inaccuracies in the details, and inspired many people (including myself) to do their own reading on the subject matter.
Yeah, I agree WP, it seems to be bashed pretty hard because of the inaccuracies while ignoring some really pretty good film making. A script change here and there (the cheesy happy ending for me at least is the primary offender) and it could have been a really great (albeit dramatized) film.

Upvote 0
"As for Winter War, from an accuracy point of view it was a little questionable. Been years since I've seen it but I remember the Finns had SMGs coming outta their arse. From what I remember about the Finns pre war records they had nowt but rifles for alot of their lads. The plot again was a bit cliched which put me off, however I have been informed that the English subtitled version is very badly done so this may be why I didn't like it so much (apparently alot is lost in the translation)."

Well... smgs were given to officers. and as the smgs were "rare", weapons were collected from the dead (finnish and russian). I remember that you can see one guy collecting rifles etc. from the dead in Talvisota. So as the war progressed, the quantity of other-weapons-than-rifles went up slightly.

___
Edit: oh yeah forgot.. the subtitles suck donkey ass and balls at the same time.
I personally found Talvisota to be a great movie.

oh, and no i dont think the finns had too many smgs in the movie. I remember that pretty much the only one in the squad who had an smg in the start was the officer (the guy with the glasses me thinks)

Upvote 0