• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

World in Conflict Beta

Sgt.Rock

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2006
Texas
Its a closed beta and I managed to get in. Theres still some NDA on it, but im pretty sure im free to discuss it. http://forums.vugames.com/thread.jspa?threadID=48843&tstart=15

Let me tell you, this game is awesome. Its a little fast, but teamwork is the central theme. One man cant win the game for the rest of the team and it takes the participation of all types of units to win matches.

Everything about it screams awesome. Its framerate is through the roof (at least for me), all effects are awesome (the Nuke in action is a sight to behold, and two..... Dont even think about it ;)), controls and cameras are easy, balance is almost a non-issue and I feel almost no lag. Its just spectacular to say the least.

The amount of units you control is somewhat limited (about 5 heavy tanks, or only 3 heavy mobile arty pieces, or about 6-7 squads of infantry), but when you have 16 people in a server, it adds up.

In terms of game modes, so far Ive only played a domination type game. Basically, think Ground Control II but refined.

Images and Videos are still a no-go, but Im pretty sure I can answer questions on the game.

In the screenshots and videos, all the units seemed to be the proper scale. Is this true?

yep, they are. You can zoom all the way down to the infantry and be right at their level. They even get on rooftops when you garrison them.

Funny thing about being that close, is that theyll talk to each other. One guy in one of my squads said something like "So what character are you, a dwarve or an elf"? and someone else piked up "Im a female elf". Course since theyre all guys, someone questioned that choice "Really"? and he retorte "Yea, If im gonna play for hours, I dont want to be watching a guys butt the whole time" :D Obviously a reference to WOW or EQ.

Upvote 0
I just heard about this game, and it's looking very good :). One question though. How does the infantry move and act in the battlefield? Have you played Company of Heroes, in CoH infantry can use almost anything as cover from enemy fire. I think that was a nice tactical feature, is there anything like that in World in Conflict? Or is it just a squad running & gunning around without much micromanagement?

Upvote 0
The infantry is most effective while in the forests or inside buildings. There they get a stealth bonus and much better cover, but are still vulnerable to chemical strikes and napalm. Although while in the open, they do kinda just run and gun (sometimes they go prone). This game is on a much, much larger scale than CoH however, so micro managing squads would be a bit tedious and useless.

Upvote 0
They released a new patch today that fixes more of the crashes, I haven't got a crash yet. The performance is also through the roof with this patch, I'm running medium/high settings @ 1280x1024 and getting ~25 fps. Loading used to take me 3-4 mins on all low settings and I'd still get stuttering, but now it loads in 1.5 mins or less with no "catching up" stuttering.

I have a pretty decent comp with an AMD64 2.2GHz, 1 gig ram, and a 7600 GT OC. So the fps at the settings I said above should give some indication. I think all of you should try to get into this beta if your comp isn't over 3 years old, since it still looks alright on low settings. Beta ends June 19.

Upvote 0
I signed up and am waiting for a key.

However, you should've read the NDA more closely:
5. Confidentiality. All elements of this Agreement and the Closed Beta Test are considered "Confidential Information" under this Agreement and may not be disclosed by you to third parties or otherwise used for any purpose unrelated to the Closed Beta Test, without the prior written consent of Licensor. Additionally, Confidential Information shall include, but may not necessarily be limited to, the following:
  • A. The fact that there is a Closed Beta Test.
  • B. The fact that you are a participant in the Closed Beta Test.
  • C. Any details regarding the stability of the Program, including, but not limited to connectivity, server stability, frame rates, lag, code crashes, etc.
  • D. Any comments regarding the appearance, look, feel and playability of the Program.
  • E. Any details regarding the number of people currently participating in the Closed Beta Test.
  • F. General comments about overall development of the Program.
  • G. Any comments relating to the length of time that: (i) the Closed Beta Test may last, (ii) when or whether an

Upvote 0
yep, they are. You can zoom all the way down to the infantry and be right at their level. They even get on rooftops when you garrison them.

Funny thing about being that close, is that theyll talk to each other. One guy in one of my squads said something like "So what character are you, a dwarve or an elf"? and someone else piked up "Im a female elf". Course since theyre all guys, someone questioned that choice "Really"? and he retorte "Yea, If im gonna play for hours, I dont want to be watching a guys butt the whole time" :D Obviously a reference to WOW or EQ.

basically my attitude :p i pretty much allways have female characters when they are available, the female forms are just so much nicer to look at then some hairy guy :p (not that i get off on video-games or anything, i have a girlfriend and a very pretty one too i might add :D, its about the principle) :rolleyes:

Upvote 0