• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Workshop Upload tool issues

The beta upload tool doesn't crash but if you don't specify a preview image it shows a dialog box that it can't work without preview image and still uploads an empty item to workshop without title and description. here is the log
[Uploading to Steam] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[Building SDK file path.] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[Creating SDK file path: C:\Users\Dmitriy\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[Creating staging directory: C:\Users\Dmitriy\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\rhkggvz5.jqh] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[Copying to staging directory.] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[Building settings file path.] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[Config file write was successful.] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[Copying image file.] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[FILE WRITE TO 'C:\Users\Dmitriy\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\wsinfo_mod.txt' FAILED] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
System.ArgumentException: Empty file name is not legal.
Parameter name: sourceFileName
at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
at SDKFrontend.Pipeline.WorkshopUpload.Execute(IProcessManager ProcessManager, Profile InProfile)
[Starting upload process.] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[COMMANDLET 'WorkshopUserTool.exe wsinfo_mod.txt' STARTED IN 'E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries'] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
[Upload process started.] Mar 16, 7:09 PM
WSTOOL: Initializing Steam client
Looking for $Tags
Found $Tags
Looking for $MicroTxItem
Found $MicroTxItem
Waiting for Steam task to finish.
WSTOOL: Creating workshop item for file: "C:\Users\Dmitriy\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\rhkggvz5.jqh"
WSTOOL:
OnShareFile failed with error code 2
Error uploading file. Make sure you got a valid connection to Steam.
[Mar 16, 7:09 PM] COMMANDLET 'WorkshopUserTool.exe wsinfo_mod.txt' SUCCEEDED
I simply added a KFM file and pressed Upload to Workshop button

When I added the preview image it still uploaded an empty workshop item. Log
SDK Frontend started 3/16/2016 7:14:55 PM...
Steam API initialized
[Uploading to Steam] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Building SDK file path.] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Creating SDK file path: C:\Users\Dmitriy\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Creating staging directory: C:\Users\Dmitriy\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\s05zlbec.g3h] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Copying to staging directory.] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Building settings file path.] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Config file write was successful.] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Copying image file.] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Starting upload process.] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[COMMANDLET 'WorkshopUserTool.exe wsinfo_mod.txt' STARTED IN 'E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries'] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
[Upload process started.] Mar 16, 7:16 PM
Looking for $Tags
Found $Tags
Looking for $MicroTxItem
Found $MicroTxItem
WSTOOL: Creating workshop item for file: "C:\Users\Dmitriy\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\s05zlbec.g3h"
WSTOOL:
OnShareFile failed with error code 2
Error uploading file. Make sure you got a valid connection to Steam.
[Mar 16, 7:16 PM] COMMANDLET 'WorkshopUserTool.exe wsinfo_mod.txt' SUCCEEDED

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I press the Start button with specified preview file it works fine. I can upload the map and update it. But there are several questions.
1. Do we need to rename map file to update it?
2. How to upload an update to a map if I don't have a profile for it in the Upload Tool?
3. How do we set Tags in the Upload Tool? Specifically the Map tag

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When i load the tool now, before it launches it says;

"Steam API initialization failed. Please ensure you have Steam running and are logged in before starting the SDK Frontend"

Then when the front end loads and i try and upload it says steam is required to play the game.

For the record this was a case of Steam corruption and refreshing the Steam install fixed it.

Upvote 0
Can you give us give us a screen cap of what you are trying to upload in the tool?

cad7ea026f.png

Upvote 0
Error 2 is a Steam error saying that Steam has rejected it/failed. We are trying to see if we can find a reproduction case here but so far are not able to.

We may be reaching out to Valve to see if they can offer any insight.

For those with this issue can you try refreshing your steam files?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

Upvote 0
Getting onShareFile failed with error code 2

Can you give us give us a screen cap of what you are trying to upload in the tool?

I have the exact same problem.

After a bit of testing I did figure out that if I upload one of my test maps that is just over 1MB it had no problem, however when I tried to upload a file that was ~100ish MB it would fail with error code 2. Is there some sort of size restriction I'm not aware of or something?

P.S. the first map I uploaded went without a hitch, but ever since then I haven't been able to upload anything else. (Except for very small files)

Upvote 0