• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Workshop guide

-MGS- Sniper

Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2011
Re Wrote this guide now im at my PC lol

This is NOT an official guide. It seems some people are having issues uploading maps or where maps will not install correctly to dedi's, If you follow this guide all should be well.

Firstly check your map location, C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame, in this folder you will see some folders. We are going to concentrate on the UNPUBLISHED FOLDER.

If like many others when you made your map you would have placed in the "Maps" folder in the unpublished folder under a name, IE Maps/YOURMAP/youmap.kfm.

You now need to move the map.kfm to the BREWEDPC folder C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Unpublished\BrewedPC

In this folder you should see some shadercache files too. Put your map into this folder (NOT THE MAP FOLDER BUT THE .kfm FILE)

Once this is done REMOVE the folder in "Maps" other wise the workshoptool will pick up both .kfm files.

Now open SDK and open the map from the new location, build all and compile, the reason to compile is listed below in the footnote. Save the map and exit SDK.

Open the workshop tool, create a new profile, fill in the details and click "add new" you should then see your map listed in the popup, click it so it appears in the box. double check all details are filled out like description and click the START button.

Keep a check on the bottom window to make sure it is successful, if so your map should be good for clients and servers.

Now why "cook" the map in SDK when the Workshoptool does this also? Well if like me sometimes it takes a few compiles to actual add custom materials or such if cooked in the SDK first it will be successful in the Tool. Otherwise it may upload a version with missing textures etc..

If you have already uploaded your map and are having issues on dedi's the only way I have found to fix this is to RENAME the map and follow the above creating a NEW profile for it. This will mean removing the existing Workshop item, as it seems if uploaded under the same name it still creates the folders wrong on dedi's

I Hope this guide helps and if you need help just ask! Also if this guide has helped post up so people know it works

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide MGS-Sniper & to Ducky for the stickiness.

First-time mapper question: regarding optimization & the .udk file. When "cooked" via publishing or workshop submission - are the .kfm & .udk files repackaged as one consolidated .kfm file?

To use as one file you have to Add everything to the .KFM file to do this when importing or making anything you have to use the mapname as the package name

In regards to workshop content I believe the upk files need to be in the brewedpc file also with your map.

You can always add me on steam for further assistance

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, when is cooking it's okay, until the part where I put the map on Upload Tool works fine. But when I press the buttom to send to Workshop the Upload Tool just crash, I try press the others buttoms before upload and don't works.

In this image I just press the Upload and the app closes.

Attachments

• ddada.png
    ddada.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
nice post buddy
o.png

Upvote 0