• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Workshop for server excessive disk activity

®omano

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
France
www.hellsoldiers.tk
  • Wow
Reactions: fwfdf1reman
Pray for 'not another year' of 'not fixing it' now..

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just updated my server to BETA branch and it seems to do lot of reads at first server start right after the beta update, then the situation calms down and looks relatively normal. From the look of it, seems like it works like before (when server starts it has the same behaviour as before from my observations) but does not do regular checks every 60 seconds, it seems to only check on server startup (or I might need to do extended tests to see if it continues to do other checks later). Subsequent restarts show less reading on restart so maybe the system properly works and doesn't check recently checked items or do it differently now.
For sure it seems to be better now. People who had issues previously should test their servers and see if the workshop is still creating issues for them.

If we can have more insider information too about the 'fix' that would help monitor what is working or not as intended from this patch.

edit: I can see this patch also deployed to RS 2 servers, I now see they are doing lot of reads like KF 2 servers did before the beta update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I talked to John at NFO to get his feedback since they pushed the beta out to all KF2 instances at NFO as this game was thrashing their boxes!
He states basically what you found Romano. Initially after reboot/startup, lots of disc usage as it checks the Workshop stuff, then it calms down.
He is hoping they improve on it and according to him, he has been communicating with Tripwire on the issue.

Reactions: ®omano
Upvote 0
Since you fixed the disk activity, I noticed it seems you actualy broke the workshop, hence the low disk activity.

On a fresh server, add your workshop items, restart server, it downloads OK.
Then stop server and add new items to downlaod from workshop, restart server, it doesn't download. Here is what I need to do in order to download again new workshop items;

rm -Rf %home_path%/KFGame/Cache/*
rm -Rf %home_path%/Binaries/Win64/steamapps/workshop/content/232090/*
rm %home_path%/Binaries/Win64/steamapps/workshop/appworkshop_232090.acf
touch %home_path%/Binaries/Win64/steamapps/workshop/appworkshop_232090.acf

I remove the content of /KFGame/Cache/ and /Binaries/Win64/steamapps/workshop/content/232090/ and I empty the file /Binaries/Win64/steamapps/workshop/appworkshop_232090.acf

then if I restart server it acts as a fresh server and downloads everything.

@Yoshiro
@Kittenmittens

Upvote 0