• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

women soldiers

Dellamorte

Jul 28, 2007
I hunted around a bit on the search for skins, and it seems like the RO crew has other things in mind before they get to the cosmetics, but i was thinking once you get there that adding women soldiers would be a good idea. The Red Army was famous for being the only army in WWII to have women soldiers as commonplace on the front lines. Maybe the skins could be set to randomly select male or female or it could be player set. Just an idea for some historical accury.

Women indeed DID server in the Red Army Dheepan, actually around 70% of the women Soviet population served as infantry in the Ost Front.
To add, in the last years of the war, Russia actually started to draft women who were unmarried into the army.

http://www.belarusguide.com/images/WWII/Red_Army_Sniper_July_1944.jpg

http://www.snipersparadise.com/history/pics/Lyudmila.jpg

There were also many female snipers in the Red Army, roughly 2000 women became snipers in the Red Army in WWII.

Here is an article referring to this as well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/96/a5978596.shtml

"His camp was overrun by the Russian army and they marched south through the Balkans with the Russian Unit which contained women soldiers much to his surprise. They crossed the mountains and were put on a boat home. He said the women were very tough."

IMO, it would be pretty interesting to have a woman player model in RO, if they were in very limited numbers.

-Mauser98k

Upvote 0
THe role of the ordinary Russian sniper in world war two was front-line support on the offensive/defensive. Women were there, on the front lines, dying and killing the Germans right along with the men. There are countless books and interviews of many that blatently describe this. There is no way around it, women played a LARGE part in the Soviet Army in world war two.

http://www.iremember.ru/infantry/kotliarova/kotliarova.htm

http://www.iremember.ru/infantry/kalugina/kalugina.htm

Another story described by a Heer infantryman who served from 41-45.

"He described one instance where his unit was attacked by a "large group" of Red female soldiers. He didn't know whether it was a division or smaller unit. But the Germans just cut them to ribbons.

The most horrible thing about it, according to Dad, was the terrible, heart-rending, constant screaming and crying of dying women. He said, and I remember his exact words, "dying men do not scream like that." But since the Soviets lines and snipers were still firing, the German soldiers could do nothing to help these wounded. They screamed till they died. "

There were also quite a few women who served in the Air Force as IL2 pilots, look them up and you'll gather more information on them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Women did NOT serve on the front lines bar the snipers as they're kinda too far from the front lines in a way. From my understaing women soldiers were employed in territory recently captured so the men could move on to the next objectives.

They filled the occupation role as well as the roles the normaly filled such as medics, supplies, support etc...

Upvote 0
Women did NOT serve on the front lines bar the snipers as they're kinda too far from the front lines in a way. From my understaing women soldiers were employed in territory recently captured so the men could move on to the next objectives.

They filled the occupation role as well as the roles the normaly filled such as medics, supplies, support etc...

Read the interviews I posted, these women fought in the midst of it all. Along with many others. Not EVERY woman served on the front, I am heavily aware that they did lots of non-combatent jobs, but many did, and these interviews are proof of such occurances.

It really seems like more research is needed on your counter arguements. In no way am I flaming, I just highly disagree with your point after all this proof has been presented.

Upvote 0
You have yet to prove the number of women who faught.
Serving in the army doesn't mean to fight, and just because a few of them were actually fighting, doesn't mean its worth implementing in RO.
Even if they were in RO they would almost look like men I guess, with the thick uniforms and the relatively short hair anyway, in addition to he manly muscular built they must have aquired during their training.
Its not like they were busty blondes with a hiplong ponytail like the russian girls in Call of Duty 2.

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to get at proving a large sum of woman soldiers for implementation into RO, I'm just trying to say that there WERE women on the front. I do take back my first statement where I say I would want it in RO, as I was getting a bit carried away, but I just wanted to get the point across that they did serve. It certainly is no myth that they did fight on the front, but I do not have a number handy, so I will not claim that they were as common as men in the forces, because that itself, I do not know of.
I hope I didn't get the wrong message across.
-Mauser98k

Upvote 0
That doesn't mean FRONT LINE. I doubt you would find them as front line combat troops, charging up that hill or loading that tank round, tossing grenades etc.

It would be completely ridiculous, as far as I know they never fought on the front lines.

Well, we can disproove that one right here and now, just look to the skies, there's no shortage of female pilots who flew sorties over enemy turf.

Some even earned the title "Hero of the Soviet Union" doing so.

And new info is surfacing all the time, now that the subject is nolonger as terribly taboo.

Upvote 0
It would be completely ridiculous, as far as I know they never fought on the front lines.

I'd say at least 90% of Russian women serving didn't fight at the front lines. But that still leaves thousands who did. I seem to recall an article with a woman who was part of a soviet tank crew. If that's not front line work, what the hell is?

Anyway. This has been suggested many times. And everyone generally agrees that it would be interesting and realistic to have the odd woman soldier in RO. But there are many other things that would take priority above it. It would be a fair bit of work, and how would you impliment it? by chance? Some people might not want to change gender!

Upvote 0
sovietparatroopersnl0.jpg

There were also women in partisan group and defense group.
A lot also fought on the frontline as medic/nurses.
And also infantery (germans often took picture of soviet female soldier prisonner).
The picture of the frozen female soldier during the fino-soviet war is very disturbing.

Upvote 0
That doesn't mean FRONT LINE. I doubt you would find them as front line combat troops, charging up that hill or loading that tank round, tossing grenades etc.

There was a nurse in Stalingrad that went behind enemy lines and killed 8 German soldiers to recover the wounded.

During the first initial push on stalingrad, a German Tank commander was horrified that the people they killed manning AT-guns turned out to be a bunch of women.

There were plenty of women in tank crews etc etc and also snipers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Russian_and_Soviet_military

The Soviet Union also used women for sniping duties extensively, and to great effect, including Nina Alexeyevna Lobkovskaya and Ukrainian Lyudmila Pavlichenko (who killed over 300 German soldiers). The Soviets found that sniper duties fit women well, since good snipers are patient, careful, deliberate, can avoid hand-to-hand combat, and need higher levels of aerobic conditioning than other troops. Women also served as machine gunners, tank drivers, medics, communication personnel and political officers. Manshuk Mametova was a machine gunner from Kazakhstan and was the first Soviet Asian woman to receive the Hero of the Soviet Union for acts of bravery.

And then this more detailed one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_women_in_the_Great_Patriotic_War

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you give a choice, it will open up to a whole new generation of trans-genders. No thanks. It'll also be the first war game were you are supposed to kill women. Expect to hear some of those anti-sexism groups knocking. Also, I'm not too comfortable shooting/blowing up women, even if it is virtual.

Also, if you read some of the other pages the one guy with the IS-2 in his sig posted, the sniper women were given submachine guns in urban fighting. If that's not front lines I'd be damned.

Upvote 0