• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WLAN PCI Express X1

KrazyKraut

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Beer capital of the world
Hi all, a week ago I received replacement for my wrecked HIS HD 4870. They replaced it with a version that has a fat fan on top and thus needs a second slot. So long story short: Unless I want to place my WLAN card directly under the GFX Card (bad idea) I have to replace that mother****er.:mad:

To make matters worse there's barely any PCI slots left. So I thought, hmm there's all these PCI Express X1 slots noone ever needed or wanted, why not use one of them.

BUT, I can't for the love of god find a decent 802.11 PCI Express X1 card. The only thing I found so far is a horrendous monster with three antennas that costs in excess of 70

Hi all, a week ago I received replacement for my wrecked HIS HD 4870. They replaced it with a version that has a fat fan on top and thus needs a second slot. So long story short: Unless I want to place my WLAN card directly under the GFX Card (bad idea) I have to replace that mother****er.:mad:

To make matters worse there's barely any PCI slots left. So I thought, hmm there's all these PCI Express X1 slots noone ever needed or wanted, why not use one of them.

BUT, I can't for the love of god find a decent 802.11 PCI Express X1 card. The only thing I found so far is a horrendous monster with three antennas that costs in excess of 70

Upvote 0
Yeah I found that site too, Crumba. But I don't want to cramp up my case any more. Also with these adapters you never know if everything fits and works. Too many variables and too complicated for such a (seemingly) simple problem.

So I ended up buying one of these USB Adapters, but not one of those Capt.Marion posted, but one without the long antenna. I bought it second hand on ebay for only 3.5

Upvote 0
Ok this is my problem...
One of my boys has moved to Paris to study at university.
He has moved into a friends basement flat/bedsit.
He has two computers, the first an e-book (which has the latest wi-fi specs), he is able to connect to the router/modem which is situated two floors above.

The second is a standard PC, Cd2x E6400 3 go ram Vista and all that one needs to play MSN & WoW:D.
He has a usb adapter but unfortunately this will not connect to the livebox , it worked when he was at home, less than 1 wall & 5 meters from the router/modem.

So what do I need to resolve this problem (and don't say a 5 meter usb cable) cause thats not really the solution.

Any advice would be more than welcome.

I have been thinking of getting one of those 3G connect anywhere solutions but I'm not to sure about the debit/speed of connection.
Anybody using one of those ?

We are in France btw.

Thanks for the Tanks...51...

Upvote 0
So what do I need to resolve this problem (and don't say a 5 meter usb cable) cause thats not really the solution.

Any advice would be more than welcome.

I have been thinking of getting one of those 3G connect anywhere solutions but I'm not to sure about the debit/speed of connection.
Anybody using one of those ?

30m Cat 5 cable to the upstairs router ;) All I can comment is that laptops usually come with great wireless adapters so its no wonder the ebook can find the router. He could try and share the laptops internet with the desktop, also along the same lines you can get wireless routers that work as mini hubs, connecting to the main router/modem.

I used a 3G adapter thing for a month or so a while back and unless you can guarantee a constantly high signal its pretty rubbish(central scotland where I used it usually jumped between decent 3G to only G connections) , be aware that some online location checkers will say you get 3G connection but dont trust them, my parents postcode came back as having decent-good connection, it lied.

May be different in France though, easiest way to check your 3G coverage would be to use a decent 3G enabled mobile phone and see what download rates you get :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So what I did was take the USB connector cable, plug in the WLAN stick, put the thing on top of my DVD drive and fixed it with tape.

Now the usb stick is inside the pc at all times but doesn't take up any slots at the back (which i need for printer, joystick etc) or at the front (where there's always the danger of bumping into them). Also since there are two connectors on the cable I plugged that old Bluetooth stick i had into it aswell :)

So far it works. Connection is good.

Upvote 0