• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Release WIP - Sound Mutator

dibbler67

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
Texas
RO2 Sound Mutator

By dibbler67 and Howitzer114

This thread is somewhat obselete; please look here for the latest:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=92324

This is the mutator found in this thread

Features:
-DISABLE ALL ZOOM: You may now disable all zoom (iron sights and shift zoom) be setting bNoZoom to false in the mutator's config file ( -YourSteamDir-/SteamApps/common/Red Orchestra 2/ROGame/Config/ROSoundMutator.ini

-Random Shrapnel Effects for artillery explosions are now in. Note that it is just a sound, you're not in any particular danger if you hear it. In fact it will only play if you're a good distance from the blast.

-Revamped Impact System to conditionally play bullet cracks based on estimated speed at point of closest contact

-Replaced Arty Sounds: Almost every arty sound has been changed. Artillery is somewhat Hollywood, but scary. Mortars are subtle whizzes, if you're close enough to hear one falling you're probably dead. And rockets are screaming banshees.

-Replaced Grenade Sounds: New, with less fall off at distance.

-Dynamic Movement Speed: You will slow down running through snow, water, uphill or upstairs, and you will run slightly faster on terrain such as roads. It's a gradual change.

-Skins: Added support for new player models and skins! Will eventually be configurable serverside and hopefully by map.

-Decals: Decals spawn on helmets! Only in RS at the moment, due to a bug.

-Blood Effects: Spurting blood for neck shots that also trails on the ground.

-Shoot off helmets: Chance for helmets (only helmets) to be blown off by gunshots or explosions (RO2 only)

-"Cinematic" death effects: Screen and audio fade. Headshots result in muted audio

-Location specific death sounds: horrible gurgling and screaming :eek: and quiet headshot deaths

Probably more that I've forgotten :eek:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/17...haulMutator.7z

Use:
When loading a Workshop map in game, click the mutator tab and select the sound mutator. That's it! In the future it will be working on dedicated servers again.

Last edited:
Hello,

I've just registered due to this mod.

Is it possible to add speed of sound? It can be very basic; and afaik if there's echo effect supported by sound engine used you can add that echo to simulate it.

Please explain what you mean, and I'll look into it. I've already introduced a system to differentiate between subsonic and supersonic bullets. If you mean the delay of sounds over great distances then that's technically in game too; it's an effect in the editor that you can apply to sounds. Now, currently I've applied it to explosions but I don't think it's used on anything else in the game, even though it's called 'RO2DistanceDelay' or something similar, meaning it was presumably created for this game with that purpose in mind.

Anyway, let me know and I'll check it out.

Upvote 0
Please explain what you mean, and I'll look into it. I've already introduced a system to differentiate between subsonic and supersonic bullets. If you mean the delay of sounds over great distances then that's technically in game too; it's an effect in the editor that you can apply to sounds. Now, currently I've applied it to explosions but I don't think it's used on anything else in the game, even though it's called 'RO2DistanceDelay' or something similar, meaning it was presumably created for this game with that purpose in mind.

Anyway, let me know and I'll check it out.

Yeah, I believe he's talking about taking that and applying it to gunshots. So you can get hit before you hear the shot!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, this will probably involve modifying ALL (3rd person) gun sounds, which looks impractical at this point. We'll have to see though; it may be worth petitioning the devs to change that because they could do so much more easily than I right now.

Huh, it shouldn't take that long to hit the "make better" button should it? :D

Upvote 0
Will this work in the Rising Storm beta? Could I transfer the file over to the RS config file?

Not correctly, quite yet. I tried that earlier and it changed all voices and icons to german and russian ones :D. If you wanted to try that you need to put all the files in their proper places; there are 4 .upk files, one .u file and one .ini file and these will be in the Packages, CookedPC, and Config directories found in My Games\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame and its subdirectories

Upvote 0
Not correctly, quite yet. I tried that earlier and it changed all voices and icons to german and russian ones :D. If you wanted to try that you need to put all the files in their proper places; there are 4 .upk files, one .u file and one .ini file and these will be in the Packages, CookedPC, and Config directories found in My Games\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame and its subdirectories

Are you by any chance sub-classing the ROPlayerController and/or ROPawn classes to set the new sound cues for your mutator? If yes, then that is the cause for that ^^^. Those classes are normally replaced by mods like rising storm and I believe also in Thor's CTF and CGT mod. If the mutator replaces them, then those mods will break (mutators win from mods, because mutators are kicking in at the end of the chain). You can solve this by adding a client side class that will overwrite the sound cues of the player controller and pawn objects at client side directly after creation of the player controller and pawn objects.

Upvote 0