• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Release WIP - Sound Mutator

Another thing, is nice to hear the koniggratzer march again! I agree it needs to be a bit more improved (I like your idea about having the era recording effect though).

This may not be important, but I allways found it fitting how you could hear Hitler speech in COD WaW when you won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cgnx-HV_IE

Not saying you should use that sound file, but adding that speech on yours should be easy.
If you feel like it.

Russia could have something similar, but I think the Guards Song was FAR better than the new one (In wich case no need for a speech).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any chance of getting ingame configuration like "Shut up!" mutator? I personally would like to disable music changes; default ones work good for me.

BTW, I guess the issue behind shots not affected by delay - if you have hundreds of parallell timers in engine, it will cause massive FPS drop when you're far away from fierce firefight, and looped sounds (MGs are such) would require computing delay both in shot start and end.

However, well-thought multiarray queue would allow you to both conserve performance and get realistic sound behavior ;)

Upvote 0
I just played with this in Workshop, the sounds are such an improvement, it really adds to immersion. I can't wait for this to be implemented by admins in MP.

It'd probably help with TL's arty TK's because you definitely want to run AWAY from arty with this..... :D

Hahaha yes reading all the threads complaining about TKs in RS I was thinking exactly the same thing!

As for the cracks frequency, I have toned them down some because of the contrast between the gunshots. Currently they're louder than gunshots! I also altered the system for playing them, smg and pistol rounds make a much quieter sound now (moving slower.) This because some people didn't like how aggressive the game sounded before. That said there's a new and quite loud sound that rifle rounds play if they pass very close to you (<1 m) Also keep in mind that because impacts in standalone games tend to be handled by the weapons attachment class (which I haven't effectively gained access to) when the impact is within a certain distance (50m instahit is my theory) you generally don't hear the sounds at close range. I like to test it on fallen fighters, to get the range needed.

I'm hoping this problem will be solved on servers.

Edit: I plan on making the music and zoom features separate mutators, so no worries.
Edit2: For distance delays, I was working on just such a system for incoming artillery. It may be possible to make it work with guns. It would probably work by having each client determine how far it is from a gunshot (something it already has access to, at least in part. Actually if I can reliably modify weapon attachment classes (i can't,yet) I could just add that node and see how it performs. It probably works the same way anyway; most sounds' playbacks are already a function of distance due to the attenuation node.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its running at the following location:

Floyd's Dark Side Mutator Test Server: 64.94.238.100

*edit** (removed Thor's mutator temporarily.)

It may be unranked because the mod's are not whitelisted. Check the unranked server area if you don't see it. Or just join by typing: "open 64.94.234.100" in the console.

Report any problems please. Thanks

Floyd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update on what I've experienced....

First: Great Mod! Really gets you into the game!

Second: If you don't (or haven't) subscribed to the mutator with workshop, the server's redirect will download it to you just fine. (And it goes in your cache and out of harms way). However, if you have subscribed to it with workshop, the server naturally won't download it, but it will not run on your client while connected to the server.

That has been my experience. Please post yours.

As this was only my experience, I'm not going to categorically condemn Worshop. Perhaps I unknowingly fixed some problems on the server end. Having said that, in the spoiler is what I did to get it working after subscribing.
Spoiler!

Upvote 0

Second: If you don't (or haven't) subscribed to the mutator with workshop, the server's redirect will download it to you just fine. (And it goes in your cache and out of harms way). However, if you have subscribed to it with workshop, the server naturally won't download it, but it will not run on your client while connected to the server.

As this was only my experience, I'm not going to categorically condemn Worshop. Perhaps I unknowingly fixed some problems on the server end. Having said that, in the spoiler is what I did to get it working after subscribing.
Spoiler!

How annoying! :p

Thanks for this explanation. :IS2: I think I understand now why a lot of people dislike Workshop so much.

Upvote 0

Spoiler!

I just joined your test server Floyd and it worked flawlessly with the version from the workshop. From my experience I haven't had problems with the workshop though I understand some players do. We should have more people who downloaded from the workshop test it out to see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Results from playing on the server with bots.

1. Bots just don't shoot at you. Ever. Running firefight on Grain elevator (where they all choose PPSH/MP40) is better but still...
  2. I didn't get bullet snaps for every bullet. Far from it. With a bot firing the occasional round at me about 1 in 5 made a sound
  3. The snapping sound was REALLY quiet.

Upvote 0
Is that your Countdown server?

I have found the #3 in the unranked server list. It was called Countdown, but the map was TE and there was no Sound Mod :eek:

Wrong server? I have add the Sound Mod to my game.

Yes CD server running now TE maps so you can call arty. Mutator is running, I just checked again, and also its a reason why the server is unranked (mod not whitelisted).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the test Mord, Artillery and grenades sounds great. But crackling bullets when you are under fire sounds a little bit like rattle with rabbit wire.

And I noticed that my handgranate explosion (distance 5m) was very silence while ther was an arty strike maybe 80m away. So I think the Arty sound have supressed my handgranate sound.

Upvote 0
I don't know how hard this would be but I think that maybe if the gunshots were louder at a distance then this would make the cracks sound a little less thin. Also I was just wondering if you have any plans at all to mess around with the gunshot noises, not make new ones just change some of their properties. I really appreciate all your work and love it so far!

EDIT: I saw the post you made in the realistic weapons mutator, this makes me happy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Currently all pistol rounds have a much softer crack to them. A lot of people think it's too soft so I'll be changing it (probably next weekend :() Also a lot of cracks are handled by the WeaponAttachment class, which I haven't changed yet. Hopefully Panzer Jager can show me how he managed to change weapon characteristics in his Better Realism mutator, because I should be able to access the attachment class that way. Then we'll have consistent cracks (and in the future, new gun sounds!)

Upvote 0