• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [wip] RSTE-Makin

Twrecks

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Ventura, California
Makin' Makin, October 1943, AKA Butaritari.

Map is only of the Japanese defensive area, a strip of land 100m wide x 800m long. Already laid out 3 pairs of objectives, for a total of 6. Allies will attack from the West (left in overhead map).

First set of objectives is the Western Tank barrier and Onchong Station.
Middle combination, Bunkers and King's Warf.
Final two, Stone pier (where the radio and radar posts are located) and the Eastern Tank Barrier.

This is just the first few hours progress to collect reference material and establish scale/scope. Now for the fun part :D

Attachments

• SDK-REF1.jpg
    SDK-REF1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Makin-Overhead1.jpg
    Makin-Overhead1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 0
  • overhead.jpg
    overhead.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • SDK-WIP.jpg
    SDK-WIP.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the posts guys :)

Mind, this is the 43 invasion, not the 42 "Raid". For this senario the Axis don't abandon their defenses, as they have you as a commander :D

Will post more as it progresses. To answer Don Draper; import textures into the SDK and applying them as materials is fairly easy, getting the scale and rotation adjusted takes a few more clicks.

Upvote 0
Added 2 seperate water sheets for the Lagoon (Shallow Green) and Pacific (Deep Blue), plus a 4 Layer shore terrain (coral gravel on the lagoon side, beach sand on the Pacific), sky dome, and hieght fog actor.

Next step, add a second terrain on top of the shore for "dry" land. Will also need to set up a "fake" Terrain Material for the map, so I can swap the map into view to check my layout.

Pics are looking from Onchong Station towards King's Warf.

Attachments

• WIP96_7-17.jpg
    WIP96_7-17.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WIP96_7-18.jpg
    WIP96_7-18.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Looking good, Wrecks. I have a few multiple terrain questions. First, does the merge tool in the terrain editor merge terrain edges with different patch sizes? Second, I've tried using the same terrain material on terrains with different patch sizes and when you change the mapping scale on one terrain, it automatically changes the way the material projects.on the second terrain. Any way to stop that from happening?

Upvote 0
.., does the merge tool in the terrain editor merge terrain edges with different patch sizes?

Never used it. I do know the edge verts need to line up reasonably well (same size and rotation) or it will fail. This is a good way of extending terrain without messing up your paint job, like what happens if you alter the patch numbers.

Second, I've tried using the same terrain material on terrains with different patch sizes and when you change the mapping scale on one terrain, it automatically changes the way the material projects.on the second terrain. Any way to stop that from happening?

Don't be lazy, copy your original Material with a new name and make a new Terrain material/set up layer for your second terrain with a new texcoord/terrain coord, or make a Material Instance Constant and apply a scalar. [url]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html[/URL]

Upvote 0
Never used it. I do know the edge verts need to line up reasonably well (same size and rotation) or it will fail. This is a good way of extending terrain without messing up your paint job, like what happens if you alter the patch numbers.

Don't be lazy, copy your original Material with a new name and make a new Terrain material/set up layer for your second terrain with a new texcoord/terrain coord, or make a Material Instance Constant and apply a scalar. [url]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html[/URL]

*mind blown over easy fix to problem*

Upvote 0
Took a step backwards and revamped my overhead map to match the RS theme. FYI, it takes about 20 seconds to sprint across the narrow parts.

Other stuff:
Converted the BSP brush with my layout map into a static mesh, that way I can easily drag it up/down through everything to validate accurate profiles, and later item placement. Works pretty good :)

Attachments

• WIP95_7-20.jpg
    WIP95_7-20.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
Looks really cool! Are those outlines around the island a coral reef? It would be neat if you could run along it and use it to infiltrate while risking being spotted in the open.

Absolutely:
Y[SIZE=-1]ELLOW[/SIZE] Beach Landing of the 2d Battalion, 165th Infantry
USA-P-Gilberts-p86.jpg

Upvote 0