• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[WIP] M3 Halftrack

Twrecks

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Ventura, California
After getting hooked by some bait (bad free models), went and fished buckets of reference material to build me a M3 Halftrack. First is the suspension, if I can't get this to work no point to continuing the voyage.

So here's the 3d stuff I just did up. Needs to be exported into 3dsMax, poly'd up, UV mapped, collisions and rigged. Photoshop for a base texture. Then off to Unrealscript land to get it into RO2 for a test drive. After which, can worry about silly things like interiors, armor, weapons, soundFX, polygon counts, fancy materials, and LODs.

The front:
Post04.jpg

The back:
Post03.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, MG42 all over again....
Soo jealous that you're coding it it Twrecks. I wanna code it! :D
Looking forward to how it turns out.
Did they M3 halftrack model provided by raven help?

LOL

Created vehicles before for UE3, from concept to in-game. Only it's been a few years :p

Yea. Scavenge what I can from what Raven passed. Some stuff is very useful, but will get re-mixed all the same. Cheers :)

Upvote 0
Riddle me this:

What scale am I supposed to make the M3 HT?

I made some reference volumes based on 50 Unreal Units = 1 meter. I had to scale the Hanomag to 80% so it would fit more or less correct to its own box. The M3 fit dang perfect to its calculated box.

Here's a shot from the SDK (unscaled SdkFz.251 highlighted) :

Post06.jpg

and here's an Afrika Korps archive photo:

Post02.jpg

IMO, scale is everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, if it's a player model scale thing, the best bet would probably be to scale it according to the existing oversized SdKfz, since the inf crew is the main concern when doing APCs and it'd be odd to have a correct scale M3 next to the stock oversized HTs (perhaps tanks too, assuming the vehicles share a common scale).

Upvote 0
This is my opinion too. It might have been done to accommodate the player models? If so, you might need to keep that in mind.

it would be, the same as eg doorways and the trolleybuses in ro.

edit: is the m3 the base for those spaa platforms? I wouldn't mind some more dakka vehicles to drive around in :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely!

Made collision boxes for the PzIV and T34, they are spot on. The UC is also over-scaled in the same proportion to the SdkFz 251.

I shouldn't worry about it much ATM, only wanted a shot for you guys with the M3 mesh next to the Hanomag when I had the WTF moment. Returning to 3dsMax for rigging and stuff.

FYI, here's a reference pic:

Post07.jpg

sup Wolvy :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder if TWI will do an official fix....but again, what are the player models scaled at? is everything just over-scale across the board?

RO2 scale is. and has always been, 50 Unreal Units = 1 meter.

Doorways have always been scaled up for gameplay reasons, other than tahe, ALL models are in relation to the player characters. Tanks, Guns, buildings, and environmental objects (like trees and grass).

Scale-wise, only the transports are out of wack. I realise they were "free", however some criticism needs to be made that the gift horses don't fit the cart.

Upvote 0