• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [WiP] KF-CytologyLabs

Seanchaoz

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2016
Denmarkia
www.synchaoz.com
Cytology_1.gif

As a psuedo-sequel to my KF-Homestead, which was a highly breakable Farmhouse clone, I'm getting very close to the release of KF-CytologyLab, which is essentially a destructible Bioticslab clone.

The destruction is not quite as encompassing as Homestead, but the map is larger and with a more varied environment, with a lot of it just waiting to be blown to ****.

Here are some more gifs to get some hype going.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Reactions: manolito
It's primarily flat, unfortunately. Most of the design aspect was focused on making setting up and fitting together all the breakable parts, which quickly meant the map came together in a very "box like" fashion. Most areas have an and upper and lower section though, and the entire map has a lot of alternate routes. So many in fact that I'd wager you won't even discover them all on your first playthrough unless you specifically go looking for them.

So architecturally it's a simple map, but with high mobility and the always entertaining BREAK EVERYTHING gimmick :) Except for the places that don't, of which there really are only a couple.

The primary motivation came after making Homestead, which really sparked my love for working with breakable environments. I knew 100% that I wanted to make another map like it, but I didn't want to do it as "just another wooden house". So I started looking into creating a more high-tech setting that was still breakable without feeling 'unrealistic'. It needed to be a real place that came apart in a believable way without resorting to wooden walls. Keep in mind, as with Homestead, there are no third-party imported meshes. Everything that breaks apart is created using only the official map assets.

*IF* I decide to make another breakable map, I want to figure out how to make my own meshes so I am no longer limited by the TWI assets. The dream is building a fully destructible environment with physics and everything. The KF2 SDK heavily favors static level design, making destructible and physics-reactive maps extremely difficult and convoluted to build. But it can be done. The falling barrels as seen in the gif above is proof of concept, but is a hassle to do.

I need to learn 3D modelling so I can make and import my own meshes. I believe I could put together a truly spectacular destructible level. It really is my primary passion, I can never have enough breakable **** in my maps :p

Upvote 0