• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Wip - kf-bsp

Deleted member 24443

Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2010
Germany
Don't matter the name, it's just a working title. It will most likely be changed later. Yet it fits; be in shock and awe.

This map will be in progress for a few more months I suppose, I already poured fifty hours minimum into this project. What you can see is BSP-only, a few mesh-made brushes are there as well. Only custom content used so far.

[Warning - large pictures]
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Haha, awesome! The rounder parts are going to be a ***** to light without the bright corners option from the UT days and as awesome as the textured details look unlit a lot of the 3d-ish appearance is going to be lost when it's lit because a flat surface will almost always look like a flat surface, unfortunately. I can't help but feel that this kind of map can only really flourish on an engine with bumpmaps or something similar. Even Doom 3 had some small modeled detail work in its maps, even though most of the eye candy was bumpmappy goodness. A modelless Doom 3 with textures that don't have bumpmaps... Quite a challenge. You're doing very well so far, but when it's time to light it it's going to get tough. Maybe you can use specular maps...?
Maybe I'm just too pessimistic. Have you tried lighting a part of the map already to see how it's going to work out? And how strict are you going to follow the BSP-only code? I think it would help a great deal if you could utilize some StaticMeshes to make some of the detail work actually 3d.

Aside from my worries, I really like the style so far. It's hard to get a clear idea of what you're going for exactly with no lighting, but it already shows a lot of potential.:IS2:
Very UT-ish in its shapes, carefully avoiding anything that could look remotely like cubes.:)
Kudos to you if you can pull this off! Make sure to keep us updated! This is an interesting project.

Upvote 0
That specular maps might do the trick, but there are also no detail textures applied to any texture. That will be nasty as well with around a hundred textures imported to date and more to follow. Doesn't matter, though. Layout is done except for two parts - one more outdoor and and undergroudn network - and trader positions.
Lighting will be easy. Lots of small lights accompanied by some hollow feelings. I used those textures in various UT Maps, Murphy, DOM-FOT-Alderon, DOM-FOT-Xenora, DM-Maris, I made sure they can be lit easily and to great effect. This should also explain the UT-feeling. ;)

The first two can be looked at (and downloaded) here:
http://timewarp.beyondunreal.com/blog1.php/packs

The latter is this one:
http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/showthread.php?p=565408

Bear in mind that you will need an installation of UnrealTournament in order to play these, these are not KF-Maps!!!

edit: I converted some of the brushword to meshes. It really helps keeping the BSP-tree clean. With aroudn 1200 brushes into the map, things can get ugly fast if it isn't clean or worse, off-grid. I am opting on getting a few more things transfered such as walltextures so these assets can be used more easily. And I am also planning on getting more details into the map, I recently found a few fitting meshes in (now) stock maps, such as machinery in Foundry or fences in Bedlam. Only that you won't notice they looked this way before. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking pretty cool. Just throwing this out there, the wall and floor texture with all the cracks in your first screenshot, I think would look really cool if you add a "moving neon glow" inside the cracks. Similar to the UT2004 map Phobos2 (I think thats the one). Its a pretty easy effect to make and would bring that wall to life :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know. Possibly try it when I have imported all textures I need. Worked a bit further on the bsp tree, added a small underground entry, for a network of underground corridors, narrow, hollow, tight... almost 1500 brushes used so far and not a single HOM or error effect. Love a clean tree! >.< Yet I couldn't work as much as I wanted to, too much reallife going on right now. :/

Upvote 0
Wow this is a Duke Nukem Forever kind of a Bump, but I'm just popping in saying the project is still alive and recently going stronger than ever. I'm pulsing with new architectural ideas (and most of them already implemented), but I'm gonna wait a few more days before I'm posting new pictures as I want to present you a bunch of new things without snags or unfinished bits (lighting will have to wait, though). No, I haven't worked on shaders yet (and I'm gonna need some help with these), but I have worked on the layout, which has been revised and is developed as the map progress continues, and I'm playing with architectural ideas to implement them into the map. Expect flowing structures and architectures. Oh and expect security doors, weldable and shut, expect them to be weldable but also extremely durable (so welding will take a lot of time...). And I'm going to use a few statics from Aperture, those feel just right within the greyscale confinement of this complex. Having a few more ideas that need my attentionk, catch you all next week. :)

Upvote 0