• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wip forum upgrade

Lorkenpeist;n2256834 said:
Two things that I really really need back from the old forum:

1. Ability to see which posts in a thread are new
2. Ability to see which threads have posts by TWI, and to skip to the TWI posts within a thread

#2 is important to me! I mostly lurk but I like to keep up to date on the dev postings, so I used to often just click through to dev posts and read the messages before / after them

I really miss this feature from before!

Reactions: morticore
Upvote 0
TWI, do you plan on working on the forum style/theme once a month, or is it already done? because, there are still problems that need fixing, like everything above. Can you update us on what is going to happen, what you will not do, what is not possible, and so on at least if you don't do it right now? to let us know at least..

Reactions: morticore
Upvote 0
Another category tweak you may apply if you don't simply ignore every single message posted here... anyway here it is..

.forum-list-container .category-header {
background: #EFEFEF none 0 0;
height: 33px;
}

.forum-list-container .category-header .category {
font-size: 14px;
font-weight: bold;
float: left;
color: #444 !important;
}

Just a color swap using existing surrounding colors, fits nicely the current style and makes categories more obvious.. see it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/w217el5j344ge6n/Capture d'écran 2016-08-10 04.02.31.png?dl=0

Upvote 0
®omano;n2266009 said:
My previous message regarding a new style modification was "UNAPPROVED" I repost random message to test.. WTF is this now? Filtering our messages or what?

EDIT: why was my previous message UNAPPROVED?

AFAIK, it's an auto-filter that determines if a post requires approval. Probably it's the link in your message that caused the trigger for "need approval". They are still working on fine-tuning all the features of the new forum engine.

Upvote 0
OK thanks Ducky that's good to have communication... What about communication on all that have been asked, proposed, suggested, here regarding the forum style?

and it was the wrong image link ;(((( correcting previous message:

Another category tweak you may apply if you don't simply ignore every single message posted here... anyway here it is..

.forum-list-container .category-header {
background: #EFEFEF none 0 0;
height: 33px;
}

.forum-list-container .category-header .category {
font-size: 14px;
font-weight: bold;
float: left;
color: #444 !important;
}

Just a color swap using existing surrounding colors, fits nicely the current style and makes categories more obvious.. see it here

NEW CORRECT LINK HERE https://www.dropbox.com/s/6opr3zau5g...01.36.png?dl=0

edit: both link don't work under this text, should have a look why.. seems to be because of the text size and/or color

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6opr3zau5g314r9/Capture%20d%27%C3%A9cran%202016-08-10%2004.01.36.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6opr3zau5g314r9/Capture%20d%27%C3%A9cran%202016-08-10%2004.01.36.png?dl=0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
®omano;n2266041 said:
OK thanks Ducky that's good to have communication... What about communication on all that have been asked, proposed, suggested, here regarding the forum style?

Sorry, can't help you there other then notifying an forum administrator. Moderators only use the forum and have no means to change the forum behavior nor style. That is out of our reach.

Upvote 0
Problems listing:

- fullscreen is not allowed on integrated videos.
- you can not have more than 10 images in a post. I can't edit a tutorial I made last year because I have to remove all its content.
- search engine is dead and can't find **** (replace with appropriate word). example search WINE in Killing Floor 2 Dedicated Server Support forum. Nothing found, search with LINUX SERVER, same problem, my thread with title "Installing KF 2 Server on Linux with WINE" is not found, proving that it does not work at all.
- forum categories on main page are exactly the same as forum titles, making the main page a big pile of grey with text. Here is a pretty suggestion (click here) but there are others, see above posts where I give screenshots and CSS code modification.
- links are invisible, you can only see there is a link after you over it with the mouse cursor. Links should have a color or another visual difference to actually see them.
- what you see in the quick reply box is not what you get when you post. links are blue, purple when visited (actualy here you see them..), and so on. In my opinion as it is a WYSIWYG like editor, it should exactly match...what you get, isn't it? the preview box may also have other errors like the quick reply box but I did not verify everything.
- on mobile, thread title and thread author are same size font which makes it all run together leading in misclicks
- error message when you search during the 10 seconds cooldown is unreadable.
- images you join to messages got reduced in size to the point they are unreadable, forcing you to use external image hosting site.
- avatars are like stamps with 60 pixels sides.
- forums on main page randomly reappear with unread new messages (for me almost ALL but the two or three sub forums I visited on my last visit)
- mail notifications contain only a small part of the reply that has been sent, before this forum update we could read the complete message if it was not a full page of text, now we can't even read the first sentence in most of cases..
- when you click the "Last edited by xxx Reason: xxx" on bottom of edited message, when you compare versions it often think you removed and add the same exact part of text when you did not even touch anything before or after it during the edit. test on this post, compare the original and first edit, you'll see the same part in a red block, then in a green block. This functionality is great, but if it works like this it is useless as it says wrong edited parts of text.

Functionalities request:

- ability to collapse the forums categories on main page to only see the categories you want like on the old forum. Of course this should stick between visits and let the forums you want only visible unless you decide to expand them again.
- ability to see which threads have posts by TWI, and to skip to the TWI posts within a thread.
- having full BBCode old style editor available instead of forcing the use of half wysiwyg half old-school editor.
- ability to see which posts in a thread are new.

I listed only the most recent ones posted near the latest forum style update, there may be missing problems and requests, but all these problems and requests should, in my opinion, be fixed quickly, if TWI can't do it, please hire someone and let end this. Next week it will be one month and a half since this thread is opened... another thing is we don't know what have been fixed/made/added/removed, there is absolutely no communication in this thread so... do you read us or not? is it over or are you still polishing the style?

Last edited:
Reactions: taiiat
Upvote 0
Lt_Kettch;n2266205 said:
Adding to that list:
  • I still have problems logging in, it keeps saying wrong password but I am pretty sure I didn't forget my password
  • overall the forum is still a pain to use

Yeah, and I definitely use the forum less, much less because of these things and the other changes. Much simpler to browse and search the older style layout.

Upvote 0
I have noticed the "Latest Activity" Search feature is missing from the individual sections**** now which only leaves the one on the main page. Unfortunately that feature doesn't work anywhere near as good as the one in the older forums, and that old feature on the old forums was very useful.
Having the "Latest Activity" search feature available for the individual game forum sections helped make up for that a little.

EDIT: ****I should clarify, it is available for the sub-sub sections, but not larger sections.
Example: Its not available Forum/Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, but available for Forum/Rising Storm 2: Vietnam/RS2: Vietnam General/General Discussion

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been having like every problem in the book trying to update my avatar and it's trying me insane. I keep getting 'Image resize failed due to your image library not having support for this image type' not supported even though they are BMP. JPEG, or PNG images as the forum interface says it's fine with. Then if that doesn't stop me then image too big does even though I crop it. It's makes you want to punch things.

New format is nice and all, but it clearly is a little wonky in the profile area still.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know I've said this before, but the "New Posts" feature on the old forums is infinitely better than the "Latest Activity" or whatever its supposed to be.

The Latest Activity feature doesn't pick up all the recent posts or topics with posts (not sure why, what is the reasoning?), and there is no way that you can clear it. At best old topics with posts just eventually drop off the list. The same topics you either already have looked at or don't care about are ALWAYS on the Latest Activity list.

Not sure why the New Posts feature was dropped or changed, but I'm guessing most or all forum changes are done and we won't see this again. I'm sure the forums and database needed upgrading, but I personally think the end users/visitors got a much less useful and less friendly version in the end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0