• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Winners Announced in Rising Storm $25,000 "Banzai" Community Mapping Contest!

Good job making the community do the job you should've done TWI! :D
Next up by community: vehicles you promised to do 2 years ago and then weapons that should've been in the game in the first place.

I won't blame you, it's way cheaper giving away couple thousand dollars for months work than paying for your own staff double prize.

Upvote 0
Good job making the community do the job you should've done TWI! :D
Next up by community: vehicles you promised to do 2 years ago and then weapons that should've been in the game in the first place.

I won't blame you, it's way cheaper giving away couple thousand dollars for months work than paying for your own staff double prize.

Maybe you would have preferred that TWI not release an SDK and no custom maps were made and mappers consequently not have an opportunity to have hard work rewarded.:mad:

Upvote 0
Some of these maps will definitely need some touching up though regardless of what the mapper wants. Some of them are incredibly difficult for the attackers (Kobura, Shima). However they are still fantastic and deserving maps nonetheless.
I do believe TWI are talking to the mappers themselves in order to improve the maps with regards to bugs and grfx etc.
Hopefully we will see many of the competition maps making it into some future patch or package so that many many more players can enjoy the work of some very talented people.
As a side note i played kobura as both attacker and defender on a full server last night.
I found it pretty well balanced overall but I was playing with a very focused team with very good comms.
Which always makes the battle much easier and much more enjoyable.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some of these maps will definitely need some touching up though regardless of what the mapper wants. Some of them are incredibly difficult for the attackers (Kobura, Shima). However they are still fantastic and deserving maps nonetheless.

I find maps with a certain difficulty are more fun to play. It just makes a team oriented victory feel that much better.

Two maps that TWI "touched up" were so much better before hand. Winterwald and Cold Steel to be specific.

Not every map that slips into their hands needs to be dumbed down.

Upvote 0
Not every map that slips into their hands needs to be dumbed down.
I thought the whole idea of mappers voluntarily entering such a competition was to have their maps enter the main stream and get a whole lot more exposure and allow the mapper to get some well deserved financial gain for all their hard work.
I don't see how their maps "slip" into TWI's hands as the whole process is voluntarily committed too by these extremely talented people.
As far as I'm aware the only people who work on these competition maps are the actual community mappers themselves, so any changes that take place are in fact made by the original author at least that is how Drecks explained it to me some time ago.
Maybe Wolverine or Dahn or Harley could clarify?

Upvote 0
In Harley's case I believe he had the gameplay down pat and sent off the final file, and TWI made some alterations; they created a really tiny A and B cap that was close to the bridge, whilst originally he had four caps before the bridge. That issue was fixed soon after when they realised that it was even more difficult for russians to advance and now it's current state is two large A and B caps.

Anyway, played Kobura tonight and it was good, didn't get bogged down attacking this time surprisingly, and found some juicy knee mortar positions :D

How were Winterwald and Cold Steel different btw? I wasn't playing this game at the time.

Upvote 0
I thought the whole idea of mappers voluntarily entering such a competition was to have their maps enter the main stream and get a whole lot more exposure and allow the mapper to get some well deserved financial gain for all their hard work.
I don't see how their maps "slip" into TWI's hands as the whole process is voluntarily committed too by these extremely talented people.
As far as I'm aware the only people who work on these competition maps are the actual community mappers themselves, so any changes that take place are in fact made by the original author at least that is how Drecks explained it to me some time ago.
Maybe Wolverine or Dahn or Harley could clarify?

I have play tested every iteration of most every custom map that has come out. I have played the final versions of the maps that were submitted to TWI.....after they get the TWI treatment, they are no longer as good as the submission "in my Opinion".

Dont try to change what i said. If you are unhappy with the word "slips" then use "acquired", "bought" or whatever you wish. I dont begrudge our community mappers financial gain. If it wasnt for them, the game would be dead.

You appear to be trying to deflect what I said by throwing out a red herring. I suppose next you are going to tell me TWI doesnt advise the mappers to make the changes or they wont get the money.

Im not here to argue with you, im just stating that the TWI "touch ups" havent impressed me at all so far.......maybe you dont like the term dumbed down. Fine, insert your own term for the process.

Upvote 0
I have play tested every iteration of most every custom map that has come out. I have played the final versions of the maps that were submitted to TWI.....after they get the TWI treatment, they are no longer as good as the submission "in my Opinion".

Dont try to change what i said. If you are unhappy with the word "slips" then use "acquired", "bought" or whatever you wish. I dont begrudge our community mappers financial gain. If it wasnt for them, the game would be dead.

You appear to be trying to deflect what I said by throwing out a red herring. I suppose next you are going to tell me TWI doesnt advise the mappers to make the changes or they wont get the money.

Im not here to argue with you, im just stating that the TWI "touch ups" havent impressed me at all so far.......maybe you dont like the term dumbed down. Fine, insert your own term for the process.

You are not only person to have played every custom map in there many versions many of us have and have enjoyed countless hours doing so.
I have not changed anything you have said either(despite what you may have been told we don't edit peoples posts) ..lol

There are no redherrings either but something is definately a bit fishy..because the whole tone of your post suggests that TWI have no respect at all for community mappers..which I know for a fact is not the case.

But you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
There are no redherrings either but something is definately a bit fishy..because the whole tone of your post suggests that TWI have no respect at all for community mappers..which I know for a fact is not the case.

:rolleyes:

How you could deduce that from what I have written is beyond me. The only fault I find with TWI is taking a really good map and turning it into something mundane. No more , no less.

Upvote 0