• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Wings of Prey

KrazyKraut

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Beer capital of the world
Game is by Gajin Entertainment, who made Birds of Prey for consoles, which in turn is powered by IL-2 technology.

What does that tell us about this game then? I have no idea.

http://www.airwargame.com/

And by the way: birds of prey, wings of prey, storm of war, company of heroes, call of duty, heroes of stalingrad. This random name generating for military games has to stop :mad:

Courage Under Siege, Freedom Fury, Eagles Of Glory, Guardians Of Liberty, Heroes Under Fire, D-Day 1944, Red Tide Rising, War In The Pacific, Enemy In Normandy, Rifles Of Revolution...

Or, how about the ultimate cliche WWII shooter title: "Combat Heroes In Arms 4: Glory And Honor In The Line Of Duty". :D

Can you guys think of more? I bet one of our titles will even become a real game then. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Way more arcadey for sure. They may have realism features like overheating, but the flight model feels very simplistic and that's what counts for me. Mission design also seems more like Crimson Skies than IL-2.

I have to admit though I only played for a few minutes, will give it a longer shot tomorrow. What annoys me is that you apparently can't set your realism options individually, there's only three pre-set options: arcade, realism and simulation. And even on sim, the flight model felt kinda too easy. Also for some reason I could not finish the training mission: I kept flying loopings like instructed but they never got registered apparently.

Overall, so far, if you imagine Crimson Skies in a WW2 setting and add some realism features like engine malfunctions and such, then you're pretty close. Not a bad game, but not a flight simulation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"ins +* to free tacticle camera" just wouldn't work for me, so I never got to finish the last part of the training.

It looks nice and all that but its not what I'm looking for.
You can set up the joystick but that seems a little broken as well and flight sims on a keyboard are not my cup o tea...

Crimson Sky was a real fun game, I can't see comparison being made to this but no matter.

I'll give it a miss.

Upvote 0
I'll probably give it a shot. The problem with CFS3 and IL-2 moving forward is that they are not Win7 compatible. You can hack around to get CFS3 to work, but I have not done so. So for a not-too-realistic airplane game, this might be as good as it gets until Oleg's next release. If you want to fly a proper sim, fly FSX or FS2004. If you want to hop in for a quick frag session in the sky, this might not be so bad.

Upvote 0
This seems basically like Birds of Prey ported to the PC, I was actually pretty impressed with Birds of Prey on the console. I don't own it but I did borrow it and it was done very well and the graphics, especially town and cityscape were fantastic. The flight model did seem a little too forgiving on sim though.

I almost bought it but I would have needed one of the compatible joysticks for the 360 to get the most out of it. There's only two, the Ace Combat 3 one and the Saitek one which looks the better of the two, but they're both expensive. I wish M$ would just let any suitable USB joystick work or even just provide support for some of the more popular brands.

In the end I have IL 1946 which can tide me over until Storm of War rapes my puny machine :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0