• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Win7 no-reformat nondestructive reinstall

=GG= Mr Moe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Newton, NJ
Windows 7 No-reformat nondestructive reinstall

Just curious, has anyone ever tried this method to do a complete reinstall of Windows 7 without reformating their hard drive? It certainly sounds like a quicker option.

Every year or two I ponder doing a reinstall, but reformatting and starting from scratch just takes days/weeks with redoing all the settings and reinstalling programs.

Thoughts?

Interesting. Haven't tried it myself tho, and most likely won't, since in my case windows re-installs and reformatting go hand in hand.
reformatting and starting from scratch just takes days/weeks with redoing all the settings and reinstalling programs.
Days/weeks? Really? I usually get everything done in half a day. Of course I won't have everything installed, but I'll just install the programs that I don't used on a daily basis when when I need use them.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Haven't tried it myself tho, and most likely won't, since in my case windows re-installs and reformatting go hand in hand.

Days/weeks? Really? I usually get everything done in half a day. Of course I won't have everything installed, but I'll just install the programs that I don't used on a daily basis when when I need use them.

Well, about a week/10 days. Have to break up all that reinstalling of applications with work and sleep. Along with reinstalling, I have to download/configure games (ex: Steam) redo settings etc. I just don't feel right until the computer is the way it was before the reformatting :p

Upvote 0
I would never recommend doing something like this, there will always be remaints of old install that will cause problems.

Best solution always is not only a format but a secure wipe of hard drive which means writing zeros like the military does just in case you have any ninja viruses and then installing your OS again.

Upvote 0
Sure a new format is always best, and if you have the time and not a weeks worth of programs to install again, I'd normally do it too.

It is not always practical.

Never had a problem with a virus where I needed to wipe my drive like that, nor am I paranoid where I would need to wipe my drive like that

Point being, it worked perfectly and I would do it again.

Upvote 0
Sure a new format is always best, and if you have the time and not a weeks worth of programs to install again, I'd normally do it too.

It is not always practical.

Never had a problem with a virus where I needed to wipe my drive like that, nor am I paranoid where I would need to wipe my drive like that

Point being, it worked perfectly and I would do it again.
You think wiping a drive is paranoia? Obviously you never been targeted....

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with wiping a drive, but for most people to wipe it along with a full reformat is paranoia.

No need to format after a wipe. In fact now with SSDs wiping is faster then formatting, takes about a min to secure wipe an SSD, after that you can just install OS directly with a quick format, theres already zeros on the drive no need to do full format.

As for the paranoia part, the ones you speak of would also call one who does this a tin foil hat person. When the truth is far from that and the rabbit hole goes deep. But yet again, maybe some people should actually read a few of Edward Snowdens documents to see whats really going on. Or Dragos Ruiu discovery of BADBIOS, which not even a drive wipe can eliminate. Or wait, are you going to tell me badbios or any type of hardware based virus/rootkit do not exist?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, yeah, that is it, that was my true intention :rolleyes:
Please save me the cynicism....

Answer my question do you believe in BADBIOS or other known hardware based viruses? Want examples? Ever hear of Blue Pill or Psy bot? All BIOS viruses.

There is plenty of evidence of them online, especially blue pill, heck the creator who happens to be female even made a pdf document explaining it.

Upvote 0
Well, back when I made the thread, it was an option for me and quite honestly, it worked very well and saved me a lot of time not reinstalling and downloading all the programs that I tend to have on my computer.

Contrary to what he said, I did not have remnants of the old install that caused me problems.

It was a new install shortcut that saved me time and I thought it would be nice to let others know. If they chose to use it and it didn't work, they could always reformat, or just reformat right from the beginning, their choice.

Upvote 0