• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will there be TF2 hats for preordering?

also i no longer play tf2 so i don't care, i highly doubt many tf2ers will be able to handle the realism to be honest. ones that can good for them. :)

Iv played around 350hours of it, now its meh (always kinda was). just because someone plays it does not mean they dont want realistic games, in fact out of my friends that have it in their wishlist almost all own and play tf2.

Upvote 0
I don't understand at all why anyone would be against this idea... The only result from it is that a few more people would probably buy the game. That's a bad thing?

Plain and simple elitism.
They want to keep the game away from "certain" people.

I don't think they would harm the game, if they like the game, they'll play it, if they don't, they'll just try it and leave it soon after. But I just can't think of anyone not liking the game... it just looks like its gonna be perfect.

I actually think that this game, will make a lot of people mature, and stop playing TF2 and collecting hats. So be it. =P

Upvote 0
Plain and simple elitism.
They want to keep the game away from "certain" people.

I don't think they would harm the game, if they like the game, they'll play it, if they don't, they'll just try it and leave it soon after. But I just can't think of anyone not liking the game... it just looks like its gonna be perfect.

I actually think that this game, will make a lot of people mature, and stop playing TF2 and collecting hats. So be it. =P

Now this is what I was going to say, and I just knew someone would dislike.
I very much agree, and its a shame some among us are like this. All you need to do is look at many of the comments on youtube gameplay, its disgusting.

Upvote 0
Well you folks can sit up there on your moral high horses assuming things about people, but the reason I don't want TF2 hat promos has nothing to do with the sort of people it would attract.

Getting RO2 into more peoples' hands and onto more peoples' hard drives is always a good thing. What isn't a good thing is this proposed method of promotion. I (and presumably many others) feel that these hat promotions cheapen the appeal of the game they're trying to promote. When I see an ad for a game followed by "PREORDER NOW AND GET THESE GOOFY TF2 HATS LOL" it really makes me wonder what kind of devs and what kind of community would support such a thing.

There's a lot of bad blood floating around thanks to TF2's item system and becoming a part of that situation isn't something I want for RO2. I want the game to retain its professional appearance, and I want it to continue to move units based on its quality and the positive word of mouth from its community, not some cheesy hat promotion for a game that is completely unrelated to RO.

Upvote 0
Well you folks can sit up there on your moral high horses assuming things about people, but the reason I don't want TF2 hat promos has nothing to do with the sort of people it would attract.

Getting RO2 into more peoples' hands and onto more peoples' hard drives is always a good thing. What isn't a good thing is this proposed method of promotion. I (and presumably many others) feel that these hat promotions cheapen the appeal of the game they're trying to promote. When I see an ad for a game followed by "PREORDER NOW AND GET THESE GOOFY TF2 HATS LOL" it really makes me wonder what kind of devs and what kind of community would support such a thing.

There's a lot of bad blood floating around thanks to TF2's item system and becoming a part of that situation isn't something I want for RO2. I want the game to retain its professional appearance, and I want it to continue to move units based on its quality and the positive word of mouth from its community, not some cheesy hat promotion for a game that is completely unrelated to RO.

Agree completely.

we discussed briefly here, i will restate my opinion

"To sink to levels of depravity such as this. Its unthinkable no matter what the gain. Making the game more popular is one thing, but to fuel the hat collecting madness which is tf2 is immoral"

Reactions: MagicSnake
Upvote 0
I do not oppose the idea of cross-promotion, but I honestly would prefer that if it was a one-or-the-other choice, we'd get WW2 Killing Floor skins instead. I hope that doesn't piss Valve off, though. Valve and TWI seem to be good buddies and after the support that Valve have given TWI already with the KF Pyro thing and also releasing RO:Ost over Steam, they'd feel a little disappointed that they're not getting a cut. (Unless they get a cut anyway, due to it being on steam?)

Upvote 0

You really have no concept of good marketing. Word of mouth is not how to sell a game. Bob telling Joe at the water cooler or Boris85 posting on another forum is not going to sell the tens of thousands of units the Tripwire need to make enough profit to make another game.

A silly hat promo for TF2 is not going to effect the professionalism of Tripwire or the appearance of RO2. In fact, doing a hat promo with Valve shows professionalism and the ability to cooperate with another company.

BTW: Your sig cheapens the game because you used a screenshot and added a known TF2 reference. :p

Reactions: jinnwarior
Upvote 0
Ah marketing, the same thing that caused the likes of Halo 3 to be plastered on every single consumer item in existence during its release. Some people might not mind such heavy-handed advertising, but for me, that level of exposure actually drives me away from a product. There is a such thing as trying too hard, you know.

A TF2 promo is fine for silly games like KF and some of the indie games it's helped with, but RO2 doesn't need it IMO, and I'd be really surprised if Tripwire even considered it in the first place. Valve already cooperates with developers by putting their games on Steam. As if that alone isn't a huge amount of advertisement for small devs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrLebanon
Upvote 0
if they never play it, it won't affect the community at all, hell, have you ever looked at the stats for RO achievements? only 14% of the people who owns the game has the achievement of killing 10 enemies.

so, no, no effect on the community, but if TWI gets more money, means even better games in the future.

:IS2:

Will people stop quoting the achieves as proof for anything?!

They were added in years after ROOST came out, I played hundreds of hours of ROOST (might have even broken 1000, it was all I played for over two years straight ). I went on to play ARMA before they added achieves so I dont even have most of them...

Upvote 0
Will people stop quoting the achieves as proof for anything?!

They were added in years after ROOST came out, I played hundreds of hours of ROOST (might have even broken 1000, it was all I played for over two years straight ). I went on to play ARMA before they added achieves so I dont even have most of them...

well, look at games that TWI made that actually began with acheivs included, aka Killing Floor; 1/3 of players haven't killed 100 zombies, which is pretty damn easy given the context. You see this with any game, no matter the marketing.

Upvote 0