• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

will there be higher perk levels?

orjo

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 30, 2009
the time will come, when all frequently players have leveled their perks to 5. for me, and for many others, the levelling itself is also a big stimulation to play this game.
so i ask myself, if there are any official plans (i am new to this community and have'nt found anything about it yet), to add more levels to the perks?

imho this would not be a big thing to extend the perk-levelling in the same way like from level 0 to 5... and adding higher difficulties to the maps.

what do you think? what does tripwire think?

level cap

level cap

I think level 5 is a good cap. considering all that you have to go through to reach it. I'm thinking that new classes should open up to extend the games proactive life. However, this game is only 20$. How much more work and effort do you think they will put into it. now, if they decide to lets say create add on content for $, like paradise then that might be an incentive to mold the game into a full fledged SP campaign\multiplayer online game. Right now, it is up to the modding community to provide.

p.s.

love the game. great stress relief after working the help desk all day :)

other thoughts:

Tripwire has already shown that it can stand with the best. Now its time for them to take the next leap and become one of the game titans known for its innovation and follower support.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a good idea, since it takes a long time to get to level 5 anyway, and higher levels lead to more powerful players, which could imbalance the game.

They could add harder difficulties, but really, what's the point? It'd be a treadmill. Higher perk levels require harder monsters, which require harder perk levels which require...

I don't find the game innately any more fun at higher levels than at level 1 or 2. Sure, you can play higher difficulty levels and have a better chance, but the core gameplay doesn't change at all. The only real exception I can see is at level 5 you start with an additional weapon, which changes the way the first couple of waves play out, but beyond that, it's the same game.

I think a compromise would be to allow higher 'levels', but you don't get any actual gameplay bonuses and instead just unlock various items to customize your character or something like that. For support, you could unlock a shotgun bandoleer or a welding mask or something, and for commando you could unlock a nifty special forces beret or something. Stuff like that. I dunno if the engine would support things like that or not, but I'm just throwing the idea out there as a compromise between people who compulsively need to "advance" and game balance.

Upvote 0
I think level 5 is high Enough...
What i would like to see is perk reset ^_^
Yes i have 3 class on lvl 5 and no i havent played perk booster levels or is Kf_heresy boost level. Well i am kf addict cant help it.

Yeah tripwire . Plz reset the perk levels at somepoint. Seriously.
Or can you make reset putton on the perks?

Upvote 0
The perks are balanced for the current game. You'd have to escalate gameplay difficulty to correlate with higher perks. Not sure how you would do that. Create a new difficulty "Kamikaze"...

TBH we're still finding Normal with FF on a challenge and before some knob shouts "I clear suicidal everytime", try it with FF on sunshine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TBH we're still finding Normal with FF on a challenge and before some knob shouts "I clear suicidal everytime", try it with FF on sunshine.

While I agree that friendly fire is good (my server has it), I can't remember ever seeing a post by you that doesn't mention it--even in threads that have nothing to do with friendly fire. We get it already--you like friendly fire (as do I).

Upvote 0
Well I was merely suggesting for future updates. Since this game will ensue many updates, giving TWI's rep. I.E. new mobs, more mobs per wave, higher mob spawn #s. Implying this game will get hamster wheeled by adding higher levels..... well it already is ( no story line, just waves of look-alike baddies and a boss that just appears with no reason or back history.). Plain and simple this is a survival game that does one thing.... shoot a lot and kill as many baddies as you can before you die. Fun, yes. Repetitive, yes. Frankly, I heard that this game was just a multi-player beta test for a final full version that will have a complete single player campaign with a full story somewhere in these forums. Whether it is true or not is still to be verified by TWI. Gathering that this title has done sooo well I would not assume that an extension or add-on content to this title too far fetched.

In conclusion I could fathom any addition to content would come in the form of higher levels for each class, thus, bringing longer replay ability, as well as loyal followers who would continue to enjoy this title far past its release date. Once again I must congratulate TWI for all their hard work and support.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's a good idea, since it takes a long time to get to level 5 anyway, and higher levels lead to more powerful players, which could imbalance the game.

They could add harder difficulties, but really, what's the point? It'd be a treadmill. Higher perk levels require harder monsters, which require harder perk levels which require...

I don't find the game innately any more fun at higher levels than at level 1 or 2. Sure, you can play higher difficulty levels and have a better chance, but the core gameplay doesn't change at all. The only real exception I can see is at level 5 you start with an additional weapon, which changes the way the first couple of waves play out, but beyond that, it's the same game.

I think a compromise would be to allow higher 'levels', but you don't get any actual gameplay bonuses and instead just unlock various items to customize your character or something like that. For support, you could unlock a shotgun bandoleer or a welding mask or something, and for commando you could unlock a nifty special forces beret or something. Stuff like that. I dunno if the engine would support things like that or not, but I'm just throwing the idea out there as a compromise between people who compulsively need to "advance" and game balance.
This is definitely something I support.
It's been said that the perk balance is oriented towards the current game scaling. Higher perk level caps mean higher difficulty levels and I really don't think we want to get into "Insane", "Ridiculous", and "Just don't play this" considering there still are the complaints about the game's difficulty as it is.
With appearance unlocks, it keeps the feeling that you're making progress without necessarily making actual progress. That keeps balance in check and only needs a small bit of modelling as opposed to the large amount of coding, playtesting, and (Likely frustrating for both developer and community) balance tweaks.

I can think of no finer way to keep the game's slight RPG influence from wearing itself out to soon.

Upvote 0
i'd say if they did add more perks, there would have to be higher difficulty levels - and not just ones that make the specimens faster, higher attack power, and more health - they should also tune up the max number of specimens that can be on the map at once, up from 32 to say... 50 or 60

for my pc that's no problem... i guess to balance it out on some lower end pc's might take some work

Upvote 0
OK..... how about new classes opening up after level capping each starting class? such as assault could unlock spec-ops with idk.... some kind of spec-op perks\weapons instead of just the assault perks. understand where I'm coming from now?

Why would the difficulty need to be increased? I never specifically said that these perks would increase damage dealing or god like abilities.

I'm just trying to get some ideas flowing that maybe the devs can use.

Upvote 0
Why wouldn't a game want to keep updating it in one. when you make an 'expansion' and add on to it so people have to buy the update, then that will hurt the players that do not have the money or are refusing to pay for the expansion (I don't have money).

Although it is a good idea to make money for a company, I think updating a game in one and maybe raising the price of it would be fair. The Pre-ordering people do not have to go through buying anymore stuff, but the people who didn't buy the game now need to pay $30 (as an example if they updated it to the extreme). With all these great features Killing Floor has to offer, why wouldn't they do this? It would help the original buyers out by saving some cash (for the high gas prices nowadays, lol) rather than break them (cash wise) and leave them with nothing but a video game.

Every game will come out with a sequel or another game (L4D -> L4D2) that costs money, and who is to really say that it won't happen with this game as well. This game started off with a boom, then it dropped and dropped, TWI might make a second one within the upcoming year to get that extra "boom" again and to make money at a fast rate to work on ANOTHER one.

But people are smart (hopefully) and will come to realize game only do this to get that "boom" factor back to make the rest of their games seem AMAZING, so it really is only a matter of time before something like this happens, yes?

Upvote 0
OK..... how about new classes opening up after level capping each starting class? such as assault could unlock spec-ops with idk.... some kind of spec-op perks\weapons instead of just the assault perks. understand where I'm coming from now?

This might be ok, but it'd have to be balanced so that the second-tier perks weren't straight-up better than the first-tier ones yet different enough to be interesting.

I could see balance being an issue, but if they could make it work, it could be cool.

I still think the best thing is to unlock various accories, skins, models or other things that affect appearance only.

Upvote 0
More perk levels?Yes please.

More diffilcuties?HELL.NO.

Reasons.

Level 2 sharpshooter, with crossbow. It takes 3 headshots on solo normal to kill a fleshpounder.

I went into a normal game full of 6 people, west london, and i could not kill one in six or seven crossbow headshots - part of this I suspect is faulty headshot detection but eh - , and the kicker is that I turned level 3 sharpshooter 5 minutes before this :-\.

That's normal. With six people.
If you want harder difficulties, give us guns that do more then PLEASANTLY STROKE an enemy when you blast them full face please..

Upvote 0
I personaly would like to see a complete rework of the system with a perk loadout system, with 3 perks, 1 weapon perk "lead curtain" = (i.e. 50% more shotgun damage), 1 ability perk "fireproof" = (15% less flame damage), and 1 discount perk (125 of all rifles). I feel that CoD4 had one of the best and most inovative perk and leveling systems ive seen for a long time. of course all these perks would be unlocked by doing certain things, and of course there would be families of perks like "firebug" in which there are fire realted perks and so on so forth, and perks with %'ages could have tiers with new and iteresting names (for example, shotgun damage perks, "lead farmer" +60%, "lead curtain" +25%, "lead reaper!" +90% ect). although it would requir a large rework i fell this kind of system would be beneficial as the devs could easily throw in new and unique perks to spice it up in new content patchs and it allows for insane customisation, a "staedy aiming" "lead reaper" with a 60% discount on all shotguns ^^.

Upvote 0
The perks are balanced for the current game. You'd have to escalate gameplay difficulty to correlate with higher perks. Not sure how you would do that. Create a new difficulty "Kamikaze"...

The Perks are balanced right now? The godly Support class and the craptastic Commando class would like to have a word with you about the definition of balance...

Upvote 0
More perk levels?Yes please.

More diffilcuties?HELL.NO.

Reasons.

Level 2 sharpshooter, with crossbow. It takes 3 headshots on solo normal to kill a fleshpounder.

I went into a normal game full of 6 people, west london, and i could not kill one in six or seven crossbow headshots - part of this I suspect is faulty headshot detection but eh - , and the kicker is that I turned level 3 sharpshooter 5 minutes before this :-\

i read ya, but you do know there's much easier way to take out fp's right? just have everyone throw a nade at his feet or in his patch, and then, when the nades go off, everyone load into him with your best and most fast firing weapon - on normal, fp's go down like nothin' if you handle it this way, even with 6 ppl

that being said, normal isn't really all that hard for me and the group i play with, we're moving on to the hard diff, which, admittedly, is pretty hard lol

but i don't have all lvl 5's yet to try out in suicidal, but when i do, i can say whether or not i'd think new diff's would be needed. you'd think suicidal would need lvl 4 or 5 perks for it to be a balanced difficulty setting, albeit still ridiculously challenging - so more perk bonuses would need higher difficulty to keep them challenging to play at

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personaly would like to see a complete rework of the system with a perk loadout system, with 3 perks, 1 weapon perk "lead curtain" = (i.e. 50% more shotgun damage), 1 ability perk "fireproof" = (15% less flame damage), and 1 discount perk (125 of all rifles). I feel that CoD4 had one of the best and most inovative perk and leveling systems ive seen for a long time. of course all these perks would be unlocked by doing certain things, and of course there would be families of perks like "firebug" in which there are fire realted perks and so on so forth, and perks with %'ages could have tiers with new and iteresting names (for example, shotgun damage perks, "lead farmer" +60%, "lead curtain" +25%, "lead reaper!" +90% ect). although it would requir a large rework i fell this kind of system would be beneficial as the devs could easily throw in new and unique perks to spice it up in new content patchs and it allows for insane customisation, a "staedy aiming" "lead reaper" with a 60% discount on all shotguns ^^.

I totally agree with this (I think), in spite of the atrocious spelling that made it hard to read.

First, the system in the game now is not even "perks", it's classes. "Perk" means some benefit or bonus, like reloading faster, or being tougher than normal or having a nice corner office with a hot secretary or having full dental coverage and 401k or whatever. "Commando" or "sharpshooter" is a "class" or "profession". So they're using the wrong word, for one thing. See the Fallout series or the GURPS tabletop RPG system (which was originally going to be the Fallout rules system, BTW) for the correct usage of the word "perk".

Second, I'd rather see actual customization than a class system. The only benefit I see to the current system is that it makes it easy to make a balanced team (even though most people don't seem to care about team balance). I think it would be much more fun to be able to combine various perks into a custom class, much like Call of Duty 4, like you mentioned.

We definitely don't need more perk levels, though. There is no need for a level/difficulty treadmill, as it adds nothing to the gameplay unless you just compulsive like to increase numbers, in which case you should probably be playing an MMO instead of this.

Upvote 0