• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will there be AT Guns? (Merged a gazillion times)

I think AT or AA guns should be added to attack/defend maps. The defender should get some At or AA. For instance, the one map with the snow, and the enemy has to run out of the woods into the field past the fence across the stream and up the hill to the train, the defenders could have some AT or AA up there where you could push around a bit so it won't always be in the same spot. Then when the attackers come down the hill a couple ATs would be firing and providing a type of small limited artillery, and the AA guns could fire down onto the advancing troops, it would be a bloodbath with lots of explosions, but it would be more exciting.

Upvote 0
Emplaced PaK guns with a narrow swivel range (say, that of like an SU-76) could be worthwhile ...

Wouldn't it be neat if we could get the machine-gun carriages for the Soviet side? I don't know when they quit using the 1910 Maxims, but I think they were replaced with something similar.

voin_2.jpg

Upvote 0
Emplaced PaK guns are worthless. As somebody stated earlier - everybody would know that they are there and would be easy to defeat or stay out of range of.

The only way a PaK would be useful in the game is if you could push or "drive" one.

SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION: WHY CAN'T SOMEBDY MODEL A PAK38 WHILE USING THE CODING FOR A TANK?

Upvote 0
They can, its just a lot of work considering the animations that would have to be done on the crew. Not to mention that you would have to find a way for it to be dragged by another vehicle as just having it been able to be pushed would be useless as it would be too slow.

Perhaps you could do it yourself ? ^^

Upvote 0
Yeah that does sound good, although it will require a bit of a change to the way the game plays at the moment. Also what would happen if no player takes the commander slot ? Or what if you have 2 commanders ? And what about bots ?

I like the sound of the idea but i think those questions need to be answered first.

Upvote 0
I think it's more realistic the way I suggested, because Paks didn't change positions that much in the very heat of a battle as RO is modelling it. And usually, after one tank is hit the others knew the position of the Pak, it's ok if they come to take it out the next spawn ;)

Talking about mobile, if it will have to be mobile; then it have to be modelled the realistic way. How it will be mobile? If the pushing it will be modelled, it will be damn slow. Also, pushing it against an elevation should be impossible.

If the towing by the vehicles will be modelled, then a realistic time to pack, unpack should be there. Taking into account the fact that even some players are against realistic supply time, I think making them mobile will be worthless in the eyes of the players. So, you will have to choices.
1.Make them immobile and placed before the rounds(Realistic way)
2.Make them mobile, but somehow "more mobile"(arcady) from their RL counterparts.

Also, if Pak's are going to be added, then vegetation should be modelled more intensely in maps. It's a must. Put a Pak anywhere in Orel, and you can spot and kill it accurately from 2km :) Same goes to MG's, but it's not very noticable and they don't need it as they are mobile very much.

I also want to add that Paks should function with two players. One for aiming and other for loading. The loading should be made more attractive, something like skill based loading system should be introduced. Think it like how you make foul shots in NBA series :) It may even be the base of adding tank loader class.

Upvote 0
I HAVE AN IDEA!!!

The pak guns could spawn already packed up and connected to the vehicle that tows it ! like when you start up the round , the gun would already be attached to the halftrack! and you would Drive to the the desired area that the gun would be in , unhitch the gun , deploy it , then push it to the specific position in the area you want it to be ( like behind a bush , or sanbags) ! it works perfectly !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is, although we will undoubtably get people who complain that the driver is leaving without a crew etc...

Also theres no way your going to be able to get enough vegetion in a level like orel, its just too huge and the fps hit would be tremendous.

I think the pak should be easy to use in terms of firing but difficult to move quickly. You have the choice of pushing it but this has a speed similar to moving while prone so isnt much good except for emergencies when you need to move a small amount to get the gun in cover. You should also be able to attach it to a halftrack so it can be moved to another new location.

Also what about mortars ? This thread was started to look at those as well. Cant we just have a mortar class similar to the MG. except perhaps he can receive instructions from the commander which allows him to aim correctly at targets specified through the binoculars. he should also be able to use binoculars himself to aim in on targets.

Upvote 0
What was the crew of a pak 38 or pak40? If you make it mobile and tow it around with a half-track that is? Probably in the vicinity of a half dozen or more men. Consider the time required to unhook it from the towing vehicle, set it up and hide it. They were designed to be mobile, but not in the sense that a tank is. A pak 40 weighed over 1400 kg. 2 men won't even be able to turn it around. There probably isn't any good way to include AT guns and keep the game realistic.
I think the current artillery system of calling in strikes from off map is pretty good, except the radio sites should be destroyable.

Upvote 0
What was the crew of a pak 38 or pak40? If you make it mobile and tow it around with a half-track that is? Probably in the vicinity of a half dozen or more men. Consider the time required to unhook it from the towing vehicle, set it up and hide it. They were designed to be mobile, but not in the sense that a tank is. A pak 40 weighed over 1400 kg. 2 men won't even be able to turn it around. There probably isn't any good way to include AT guns and keep the game realistic.
I think the current artillery system of calling in strikes from off map is pretty good, except the radio sites should be destroyable.
you say keeping the game realistic is important? yet you suppourt the lame out of no-were arty strikes? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
"Lame Out of nowhere arties"? Do you have any ideas how these thing work? Artillery pieces in WW2 fired way away from battlefield depending on their caliber. RO nicely models how they are called.

I think introducing Pak pieces right now will make the game unrealistic, or adding any movement option to them will make it unrealistic too. We'll either wait for UE3 or, we don't get them implemented.

Upvote 0