• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will snipers/marksmen get camo coats and wrapped rifles?

On the other hand the SVT-38's and SVT-40's were not overly liked by snipers due to its worse long range performance when compared to the standard 91/30.

your point being?

and have any of you played sniper elite II. there is the SVT 100% accurate,(and its seems you use an experimental sniper rifle i think, not sure.) but you can also explode a tank by shooting into to fuel tank. Through the hole where you fill the fuel.... quite epic really. Tryed that in RO didn

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
PS: @ Praxius, your argumentation on why the class we have now is a Sniper is simply stupid.

Well thank you for that expert observation with no substance.... if you got nothing worthwhile to say or can't explain yourself, save yourself some embarrassment.

You couldn't even provide a valid reason why, nothing to refute what I have said, thus you have no argument, no point and you're just wasting everybody's time.

At least I have the decency to refrain from calling you or what you say stupid..... besides I don't have to stoop to such a level since what you post is obvious enough.

Don't start crap you can't finish.

Upvote 0
..... And Cpt. Praxius, am I understanding it right that your arguement basically boils down to "pubbies play in a disorganized fashion, therefore all classes are really just crap and people should randomly fight without any direction?"

No, go back, read again.... slower this time so your brain can process the information properly and then get back to me.

The fact of the matter, which you have yet to even refute, is that different people use the class differently.... and just because some may play the game differently from how you play it, doesn't mean they're playing the game wrong or that somehow you're king sh*t and what you do and say goes.

Nobody can be that daft.

There are many different tactics that can be used for each class in the game..... officers, sappers, all of them, real life or in-game did not have one cookie-cutter procedure for how they operated and sometimes they have to operate outside of the box.

Don't like it? Deal with it.

You have your training, your basic method of operation, but when the enemy uses one tactic that counters your cookie-cutter approach, you then have to change things up..... which means sometimes a "Marksman" has to play as a "Sniper"

Generally we do have our "sh*t" straight. Our points are just going over your head because you're arguing from a point of ignorance about the real difference between the sniper and the marksman/sharpshooter.

I have no ignorance on the matter, I've been born and raised in a military family and with a father who collected a lot of WWII weapons, uniforms, medals, books, etc. etc.... in fact I had basic sniper training at the age of 12....

The problem lies in you not being able to understand how I am implementing things that can tie "Reality" with a "VIDEO GAME!"

All you are doing is "Well *sniff* in reality, this is what they do, so it can't be this...."

No matter how much you want to cling onto your subjective view of reality, there is only so much one can do within a video game's limitations, thus compromises are required.

Even with the tanks there are compromises, even with every other class in the game there are compromises.....

.... Oh, but just for the sake of you trying to be right for once, you'd just settle with your black and white mentality of what you think a Sniper/Marksman/Sharpshooter, etc. is and thus IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY!!

Sorry to burst your bubble chief, but you're opinions are about as valuable as my own.... which is they're worthless.

The problem is you can't even focus on one particular thing I say, and just want to sum it all up as "What you said is stupid..... you're ignorant, blah blah blah...."

Well if that's the case big shot, how about you actually explain how... otherwise, pull your head out of your arse.

"Killing important targets" does not a sniper make. It's the way they operate that makes the difference. And how you play them in the game has no effect on the definition of the roles.

Are you even reading what you type? :rolleyes:

"It's the way they operate that makes the difference."

Really? Duh, I don't remember ever not saying this.

Yet then the next line you type you say "How you play them in the game has no effect on the definition of the roles"

You just said it's about how they operate, yet if I am in game and I operate my class the way they operate in real life, then that's how I play them in the game, thus has a direct effect on the definition of the roles, especially if the role in-game currently says "SNIPER"

Sounds like logic is on my side here, while contradictions continue to plague your arguments more and more.

If you're a SMG dude, and you break from your squad and go way off by yourself, hide in a bush, and plink at targets that are 300-400 yards away, you're not a sniper. You're a SMG trooper who's being a friggin' moron. The same is true with the marksman role in the game.

Oh ok there.... you throw out all these various definitions to support your argument, how someone can be a sniper no matter if that use a scope or rifle, or whatever.... and how it's all about how you use the class or operate..... but then once someone decides to do something you don't approve of, even though it matches exactly to your previous definitions and they operate and use the class exactly as you described.... suddenly they're morons.

Why? Because they just proved you wrong?

Cripes.... quite wasting my time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:eek: Jerkiest. Cpt-Praxius.
Lemon got served:cool:

Cpt-Praxius if you have played Eindhoven (Bessin maybe sry don’t remember) i think the map was called (DH). You can be a British sniper. You can act quite as a operation 300 meters away from your team. Sniping from a church tower 100 meters above normal ground. you can go into every house in the map. Enfield, sniper, nice scope 100% accurate. Think you will like the map. its big combined arms. If you haven’t played it already?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
why the pointless agruing over terminology and play style?

tbh, when i play "sniper" i play like a regular assault trooper and attack the capzone, hipshooting my way in......perhaps a few priority "scoped" shots when needed. i figure there's 3-4 nubs waiting in the typical sniper spot for me to get killed so they can take my gun. therefore i would serve no purpose there other than to further add to there being less players in the capzone. maybe not the most traditional way to play the class, but you know what, when i use this style, i do it well and it typically is very effective.

so why does any of it matter? a class is a class, a weapon is a weapon, a game is a game. the game may have built in guidelines for how to play as a certain class or use a certain weapon, but individuals will develop their own unique ways to play the game to get the best results.....

anyway, wasn't this topic about having camo and cloth wrapped "sniper" rifles? to that i say sure, but perhaps make it achievable through rank/achievements/perks etc....

Upvote 0
anyway, wasn't this topic about having camo and cloth wrapped "sniper" rifles?

thats exactly what this discussion is about.

Snipers assigned to a squad / rifleman awarded a scoped rifle, in modern termology called marksman. Didn't have that sort of fancy clothing and carried the same clothes as everybody else in the squad.

And thus should not carry the special clothing and uniforms to completely disguise yourself or break away all stright lines by wrappings around the weaponry. As those were pretty much used by those solitary snipers working behind enemy lines, not by those fighting on the front with the rest of the army.

Suddenly giving a class clothing and dressing intended for a completely different function that is most likely not represented in multiplayer with hos, and probably cannot be fully implemented, just takes away from the perception of realism.

So thats why personally i do not mind if special clothing gets given to snipers, but only on maps where you have true snipers. Where the snipers generally spawn far away from any regular squad truly operating on their own with their own mini mission. And not in maps where the sniper spawns together with regular infantrymen as then he would have to wear regiment clothing (unless anyone find clear evidence that they did actually carry that stuff).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
what i meant was that there really should be no agruement over whether or not in RO, the role is a "marksman" or "sniper". those who argue that "well i play this way, which is more like how a lone wolf sniper acts, so it means it must be a sniper" really have no arguement. anyone who's played ROOST enough knows that the role of the "sharpshooter" in ROOST is designed as a marksman that provides infantry support. people can argue all they want about play styles, but that's just how it is. that's why i was wondering how there was so much arguing over whether the sharpshooter in RO is a marksman or sniper.

i think most can agree that HOS will probably be very similar to OST in that there will be very few (if any) multiplayer maps that will have any real "sniper" situations, and i doubt that TW would go through the hassle of creating a whole "sniper" skin for a role that would be used in just a couple unique situations. maybe for a single player "sniper mission" or something, but no need in large scale multiplayer

so the question then is, did marksmen ever have customized camo, cloth wrapped rifles etc....assuming the role stays designed the way it is now, (as marksman, NOT snipers) i'm not suggesting full blown camo and full cloth wrapped guns. what i'm suggesting is to be able to offer slight "customization" to reflect "veteran" players through whatever perk/rank system they impliment. as for how realistic is that, here's a few photos i've discovered that show what mean:

STEREOTYPICAL COD/MOH "SNIPER"....not in RO. maybe in single player "sniper" missions but still not too extreme please.
PZ54-06%20Russian%20Sniper.jpg
law2.jpg

MARKSMEN, limited customization that is achievable

t34pu.jpg

41-1.jpg
finnishfrontsniper

again, i'm not saying it was very common to see this, just saying it's been documented that some soldiers did it. that first pic is really what is interesting. that soldier is clearly not a sniper and appears to fit the exact role that the marksman plays in ROOST. notice the very slight customization in his lightly cloth wrapped rifle and scope. the same goes for the other two pictures. it's nothing more radical than some ruskies wearing helmets, some commisar hats, and some ushankas or some germans with great coats and some with white smocks in winter maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems like the 'cloak' or 'cape' the soldier is wearing in that Stalingrad miniature thingy is plash palatka, standard issue shelter half for EVERY russian soldier and can be used as sort of raincoat aswell as seen in the picture, while the uniform seems to be regular winter uniform (telogreika?), and in the second picture regular uniform + plash palatka.

It's not super special camouflage for sharpshooters only, even the german zeltbahn (shelter quarter) can be worn as camouflaged clothing and rain poncho and was probably the most dominant camouflage ever seen on german soldiers. As for winter uniforms and camouflage, white bedsheets were quite frequently used as improvised camouflage if you look enough original photos or just some semi-white overwhites. In other words, the 'sniper' camouflage thing posted is just combination of some standard eguipment every soldier could get their hands on regardless if they were sharpshooter, rifleman, machinegunner, pizzagrenadier or so :p

Upvote 0
well exactly. it's all common stuff that the basic soldier would have access too. the main emphasis i was trying to make is that "marksmen" (as seen in the pic with the tank) could have lighly wrapped cloth around their rifles. i don't really see plain riflemen using cloth to wrap rifles with, espeically considering the only photos i could find were just of scoped rifles with the wrap. the point was that it was minimal, and wasn't overly exagerated like you'd expect to see with the lone wolf snipers.

yes, the "camo" is all just basic stuff. again, i'd be more inclined to think "marksmen" would be more likely to customize their clothing as it would be more beneficial for them due to the nature of their job when compared to the common infantryman.

Upvote 0
yes, the "camo" is all just basic stuff. again, i'd be more inclined to think "marksmen" would be more likely to customize their clothing as it would be more beneficial for them due to the nature of their job when compared to the common infantryman.

Somewhat, if nothing else.

It is true that marksmen and such were more likely to use bit more unique ways of concealing themselves, but ignoring use of wraps on the rifle it wasn't certainly limited to marksmen or such only. It was pretty common to use extra strap from breadbag to add some foliage to your helmet (the strap was meant to keep them on the helmet) among the germans E.G.

But I do get your point nevertheless.

Upvote 0