• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wielding

Adenru

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Now every door can be broken regardless if someone wields it or now, is there any point of using this mechanic for anything at all but temporary locking big zeds and players?
Support has skill for wielding which seems useless to me.

To make matters worse I can't even tell when iron door is going to break.

Doors have a hidden health pool that isn't really affected by welding. The weld is just a temporary addition to that health pool; really, it's like armor. If a door's health is depleted, even if it still has "armor," the door breaks. The door also breaks if the zeds smash through the weld, the "armor." It takes a long time for them to eat through a door's hidden health pool, though.

Welding isn't as effective as it is in KF1, because you can't camp and the door breaks permanently once it goes down. However, it's still useful for 1) welding a door behind you if you're running from a heavy enemy or a swarm of trash and 2) to bottleneck the brunt of a wave so that, when they do smash through the door, you can grenade them to death. This is why it's best to wait until later waves - the ones with Flesh Pounds - to start welding doors. An FP (or two or three or four, however many the wave is throwing at you at once) coming through a doorway is easy fodder for the team's grenades.

So I'd say it is still very useful, just not in the "must weld every door so we can camp" way that it was in KF1.

Upvote 0
Welding isn't as effective as it is in KF1, because you can't camp and the door breaks permanently once it goes down. However, it's still useful for 1) welding a door behind you if you're running from a heavy enemy or a swarm of trash and 2) to bottleneck the brunt of a wave so that, when they do smash through the door, you can grenade them to death. This is why it's best to wait until later waves - the ones with Flesh Pounds - to start welding doors. An FP (or two or three or four, however many the wave is throwing at you at once) coming through a doorway is easy fodder for the team's grenades.

So I'd say it is still very useful, just not in the "must weld every door so we can camp" way that it was in KF1.

Basically this. Our team tends to use the dissection room in Biolab with the 2 tables to deal with double FPs by welding them behind a door and then spamming nades when the door is about to break.

Doors aren't useless, they just need to be used in a different way.

Upvote 0