Wielding

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Adenru

Oct 21, 2011
Now every door can be broken regardless if someone wields it or now, is there any point of using this mechanic for anything at all but temporary locking big zeds and players?
Support has skill for wielding which seems useless to me.

To make matters worse I can't even tell when iron door is going to break.

Calcey

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 22, 2012
Holy ****! You van wield doors ?! GOTY.
No but in all seriousness @Adenru the word you are looking for is "weld". Now I didnt actually play the beta, but have heard some complaining about hos easily doors break even if you weld them.

Paronine

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 21, 2015
Doors have a hidden health pool that isn't really affected by welding. The weld is just a temporary addition to that health pool; really, it's like armor. If a door's health is depleted, even if it still has "armor," the door breaks. The door also breaks if the zeds smash through the weld, the "armor." It takes a long time for them to eat through a door's hidden health pool, though.

Welding isn't as effective as it is in KF1, because you can't camp and the door breaks permanently once it goes down. However, it's still useful for 1) welding a door behind you if you're running from a heavy enemy or a swarm of trash and 2) to bottleneck the brunt of a wave so that, when they do smash through the door, you can grenade them to death. This is why it's best to wait until later waves - the ones with Flesh Pounds - to start welding doors. An FP (or two or three or four, however many the wave is throwing at you at once) coming through a doorway is easy fodder for the team's grenades.

So I'd say it is still very useful, just not in the "must weld every door so we can camp" way that it was in KF1.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 28, 2015
They have health so people cant just weld them the entire game and trivialize the entrance. It's a good thing.

DirtySpartan

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 15, 2012
Netherlands
Welding isn't as effective as it is in KF1, because you can't camp and the door breaks permanently once it goes down. However, it's still useful for 1) welding a door behind you if you're running from a heavy enemy or a swarm of trash and 2) to bottleneck the brunt of a wave so that, when they do smash through the door, you can grenade them to death. This is why it's best to wait until later waves - the ones with Flesh Pounds - to start welding doors. An FP (or two or three or four, however many the wave is throwing at you at once) coming through a doorway is easy fodder for the team's grenades.

So I'd say it is still very useful, just not in the "must weld every door so we can camp" way that it was in KF1.

Basically this. Our team tends to use the dissection room in Biolab with the 2 tables to deal with double FPs by welding them behind a door and then spamming nades when the door is about to break.

Doors aren't useless, they just need to be used in a different way.

Jovial

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 10, 2012
Sweden
Wielding doors sounds too OP. :D

OnT : Welding is good now, perma-welding was cheesy and allowed players to improvise 1-way defense spots way too easy. Now that it's strictly a temporary measure it could also allow some interesting map designs.

melipone

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 22, 2006
What if you could make a barricade once the door is broken? Sell a hammer in the shop and drop resources around the map. I quite like in KF2 that its not just a static camp fest, but some kind of middle ground might be doable