• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wide monitors

helmi

make a box 1400x900 then make a box 1280x1024

put them on top of each other

they are almost exact matches at 90degree angles except one is 4 longer
Sorry, pal, I still don't get what you're after.
I made this picture to illustrate how they both compare to each other.
Feel free to draw inside that to make your point :)

sizezz1.png

Upvote 0
basically I meant to say the monitors ratios compliment each other as someone designed them with that in mind. when you center the squares like my picture you can see there is almost a perfect square in each corner. so basically they hang over on each side or are kind of "opposites" resolutions. Note: I misslabeled the resolutions they are backwards. The 1280x1024 will have more because it overlaps on the large sides and the widescreen only sticks out on the short side of the 1280x1024

Attachments

• 1400x900.gif
    1400x900.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
basically I meant to say the monitors ratios compliment each other as someone designed them with that in mind. when you center the squares like my picture
They are not squares, they are rectangles!

you can see there is almost a perfect square in each corner.
So what?
These corners are where no pixels are, so what would you care about them?

so basically they hang over on each side or are kind of "opposites" resolutions. Note: I misslabeled the resolutions they are backwards. The 1280x1024 will have more because it overlaps on the large sides and the widescreen only sticks out on the short side of the 1280x1024
You can basically see the same effect in my picture, the white square in the right-hand bottom.
Still don't really see the importance in that square, sorry dude...

Upvote 0
Guys just go visit the site that Tak pointed out.

Its very good, has loads of reviews, tweaks & tips and caters for LCD monitors and TV's.
Its there that I found out about forcing resolutions, there's even a guy thats put up a fix for R6 Vegas.
The site is for gamers...

I'm running a Samsung 26" LCD TV at 1360x768, got no black bars, no stretching in-game and I'm pretty sure that if I could be bovvered the menus could be sorted out as well.

The only doubt that I have is that I'm on a D- sub VGA connection rather than the DVI (or whatever its called) but as far as the human eye can distinguish (mine anyhow) the difference is not that striking, if any.

Impossible to go back to a standard monitor after "playing on the tele".

Thanks !

Upvote 0
Guys just go visit the site that Tak pointed out.

Its very good, has loads of reviews, tweaks & tips and caters for LCD monitors and TV's.
Its there that I found out about forcing resolutions, there's even a guy thats put up a fix for R6 Vegas.
The site is for gamers...

I'm running a Samsung 26" LCD TV at 1360x768, got no black bars, no stretching in-game and I'm pretty sure that if I could be bovvered the menus could be sorted out as well.

The only doubt that I have is that I'm on a D- sub VGA connection rather than the DVI (or whatever its called) but as far as the human eye can distinguish (mine anyhow) the difference is not that striking, if any.

Impossible to go back to a standard monitor after "playing on the tele".

Thanks !

the difference between Dsub and DVI should be night and day or DVI is nog big enough of an improvement.

I use an old sony FW900 and believe me BNC difference with HD15 is night and day. (BNC is 5 different 3 color cables and whatever cables dunno what they are)

Upvote 0
I know you're right, DVI is not a cost cutting exercise, its progress.

I have 2 screens, both D-sub, the Samsung (TV) and a 19" CRT, the image is crisper and clearer on the CRT than the TV, but the immersion playing and working on a large screen compensates largely.

I spend all my working day between different monitors, 14" 7 year old Goldstars, up to good quality 19" DVI LCD's.

When I get home I'm glad to put my slippers on and take my glasses off. :cool:

What are the other wires for ? Maybe to carry sound !
We are still dealing with red green & blue signals, are we not ?

Upvote 0
Any fix for the aspect ratio?

I'm playing on a Samsung m86 40inch 1920-1080 resolution.
Looks fantastic, but whenever I bring up the sniper scope its oval, very oval :(
Other than that it looks pretty good. I'm sitting 50cm away from the TV so its like being shoot in the face. :D

This TV has a better image than my previous 19inch LCD, also from samsung.
That one has 2ms responce time, TV only got 8ms, but i can hardly notice any lag.
This is how gaming should be, but the Aspect ratio is a drag :cool:
Any tips, posible solutions for that?

Upvote 0
Any fix for the aspect ratio?

I'm playing on a Samsung m86 40inch 1920-1080 resolution.
Looks fantastic, but whenever I bring up the sniper scope its oval, very oval :(
Other than that it looks pretty good. I'm sitting 50cm away from the TV so its like being shoot in the face. :D

This TV has a better image than my previous 19inch LCD, also from samsung.
That one has 2ms responce time, TV only got 8ms, but i can hardly notice any lag.
This is how gaming should be, but the Aspect ratio is a drag :cool:
Any tips, posible solutions for that?

The devs locked the fov to 85. Both types of fov the zoom fov as i call it. That scales horizontal and vertical fov together (fov 20 would give you the zoom of the ut2k4 sniper rifle) and the horizontal fov that basically could be adjusted so that the game wouldnt be stretched.

Because widescreenmonitors would become oval, they added cropping. Basically the top and bottom should be cut off so that a circle is perfectly round. So if you run at that 1920x1080 resolution and things look oval make sure you have a 16:9 monitor and not a 16:10 or 24:9 monitor.

Upvote 0
Its a 16-9 monitor.

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=640
WindowedViewportY=480
FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080
MenuViewportX=1920
MenuViewportY=1080

Brightness=0.800000
Contrast=0.700000
Gamma=0.800000
UseJoystick=False
CaptureMouse=True
StartupFullscreen=True
ScreenFlashes=True
NoLighting=False
MinDesiredFrameRate=35.000000
AnimMeshDynamicLOD=0.000000
Decals=True
Coronas=True
DecoLayers=True
Projectors=True
NoDynamicLights=False
ReportDynamicUploads=False
TextureDetailInterface=Normal
TextureDetailTerrain=UltraHigh
TextureDetailWeaponSkin=UltraHigh
TextureDetailPlayerSkin=UltraHigh
TextureDetailWorld=UltraHigh
TextureDetailRenderMap=UltraHigh
TextureDetailLightmap=UltraHigh
NoFractalAnim=False
ScaleHUDX=1.000000
MouseXMultiplier=1.000000
MouseYMultiplier=1.000000
UseSpeechRecognition=False
WeatherEffects=True
DrawDistanceLOD=1.000000
Bloom=false

Scalehud... Not sure what it does, but it seam like a good idea :p
Anyway, It look's beatiful, and not so streched.
I found out I had it set to 1280-1024. that probably gave me the worst aspect ratio.

In 1920 1080 it wasn't so bad.
But i'm feeling a bit motion sickness, screen is to big and my head is spinning, i'm looking left - right up - down, so its probably my eyes that tries to focus and zoom in :eek:

:)

Upvote 0
Small desk so I can't push it back and I want my hands on the desk not in my lap.

It s great to look at when I play RO but i'm not half as good as usual.
I would change back to the 19inch if it wasn't for the fact that racing simulators like Live for Speed, Grand Prix Legends, Richard Burns Rally etc, are awesome to play with on a big screen. Sports games like Virtua Tennis 3 etc are damn cool too.
But FPS games are better on small monitors, well at least you play better.
And I love to play RO. Its the best FPS shooter by far.

Thanks for all help so far.

Upvote 0
Its a 16-9 monitor.

Scalehud... Not sure what it does, but it seam like a good idea :p
Anyway, It look's beatiful, and not so streched.
I found out I had it set to 1280-1024. that probably gave me the worst aspect ratio.

In 1920 1080 it wasn't so bad.
But i'm feeling a bit motion sickness, screen is to big and my head is spinning, i'm looking left - right up - down, so its probably my eyes that tries to focus and zoom in :eek:

only the hud gets stretched, the actual ingame image should be perfectly fine circles circles and squares squares.

And scalehud can even be changed from the menu ingame. It makes the hud bigger or smaller :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0