• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wide monitors

mimmox

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2006
hi guys i have a question for u:

does RO support wide resolutions such as 1680x1050??

im gonna buy a monitor that supports such a resolution, so id like to know if i can play on RO with that resolution or if i won t be able to play.....thx in advance.

PS 1 last question, what is best between D3D 9.0 and D3D in order to have higher fps?

thx again

RO supports widescreen resolutions, but not properly

the FOV doesn't change so everything gets stretched out alittle bit, especially noticeable on the HUD

The hud doesn't support widescreen and gets stretched but the actual ingame image doesn't ;)the top and bottom just get cut off. A 3d circle is a still a circle and not oval.

Upvote 0
ok so basically D3D 9.0 semmes to be faster then normal D3D, ok thx.

i have just bought and tried my new 20" wide and everything seems fine, i edited the ro.ini be4 starting the game so all looked fine from the first time i started the game.....
Depends, if your videocard is from the 6800 Ultra-series or similar (7600, X1800, X1900, 7800, 8800) it should be.

If not, well, then I'd recommend Direct3D (not Direct3D 9.0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a 6600GT and I use D3D9.0

The Older Direct3D mode is for Older cards that lack the features of the Latest DirectX9C such as Pixel SHader2.0 or something

The differences is the Blur that happends when Arty or grenades blow next to you...
9C = Cool Blur/Shaking Effect
Direct3D = Black out

Direct3D works wonders with the Geforce4TI Series
9C works fantastic with anything Geforce5x + (newer Support)
ATI Cards have always had the latest Pixel Shader 2.0 Support so I am pretty sure a Radeon8500 is capable of running 9C but... it might just be faster on D3D

I thank the Devs for including support for older cards such as the Geforce4TI
Unlike EA who did not want to waste time or just wanted the Nvidia users with the older TI buy a new Videocard...

Upvote 0
The differences is the Blur that happends when Arty or grenades blow next to you...
9C = Cool Blur/Shaking Effect
Direct3D = Black out
Yes, that's the only downside next to not having bloom. :/
9C works fantastic with anything Geforce5x + (newer Support)
Can't agree on you here, I have noticable different in framerate on my 5200 Ultra.

Upvote 0

I am not yet convinced about wide screen, it still hasn't got great support from new games, and I like the height of a normal 4:3 19" screen which means I'd have to go for a very expensive 24" + model...

I'll probably wait till the prices drop next year, as I am very happy with my new 19" Viewsonic with its almight 3ms response time.

Upvote 0
Dear Dirty Rat,
my TV blew up about three months ago,so I went down to my local hyper market and reluctantly bought :"1ofthemnewfandangledLCDSAMSUNG27"whatyermaycallits.

It is one of the marvels of the new age.

OK, it cost me an arm and a leg, its only got a Dsub connection but plays very well, (while auto justing, I might add), RO, UT4K, HL2, DODs, CSs, IL 2 1946, AArmy, COHs, (demo) and anything else I can throw at it.

RO+UnEd+IL 2 you have to set the resolution, any recent game just does its own thing, whether you like it or not.

The image may not be as crisp and clear as maybe a real computer LCD monitor with a DVI connection, but when you are playing RO or HL2, episode 2 on Twenty Six inches at 1360x768 in 32 whatyermaycallits, there is no going back...

One day I might just plug it in to the TV head box.

There you go !

Upvote 0