• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Why weapon rotation in 4 ruu increments ?

Amizaur

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2006
Gdansk, Poland
I'd like to ask if someone can explain me, why the weapon rotation (or at least rotation of weapon view and rotation at which projectile starts flying) is always a multiplicity of 4 RUU ?

The weapon view seem to always rotate by 4 RUU (no smaller change possible).

he smallest possible difference between two projectile paths is also 4 RUU - if using the spread function, although it generates rotation differences of single RUU units, the resulting projectile pattern is one hole each 4 RUU - no smaller difference between two bullets possible (at least tank shells).

Also the added pitch value to tank gun takes effect only after each whole 4 RUU. Projectile impact point for 1, 2 and 3 units of added pitch is the same, and only 4 moves it up (by 4 units at once) and again 5,6 and 7 no difference, only 8 moves up by 4 units.

Why this 4 RUU resolution or "granulation" - is this determined by RO code or is it somwhere higher in Unreal classes ?

Thanks in advance.

Tnanks for the answer, no problem I can wait with it. I'm just interested if it's Unreal or RO feature, and if it can be changed easily or is buried deep in Unreal code... Tried to search on my own in RO code, but didn't found anything that could cause that so far. And increasing the resolution to 1 RUU, if not causing any problems, would help with more dense pattern of projectile spread and with precise aiming with weapons (especially tanks).

edit: the effect is somewhat like a rotation grid was set to 4 in game. Rotation has to be a multiple of 4, if not it snaps to closests one below. This would be shortest description of the problem. But from I learned so far, there is no rotation grid in game, only in editor...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm good to know that... thanx. But I see this in practice mode, not in network play.

Take anything (soldier, tank turret), aim the weapon. You can't rotate it by mouse less than 4 RUU. Best visible if the zoom is set to max (FOV=1 or so) - it's easier to notice then, especially having some target of known dimensions on long distance, that the rotation is in 4 RUU increments, not 1 RUU. 1RUU is about 10cm at 1000m if I'm calculating correctly. I'm observing I can't move the aim by less than about 40cm at 1000m. (if only that, I would suspect that maybe the code handling mouse control decreases the resulution)

But also two projectiles can't be fired (spawned?) in directions varying less than 4RUU. The minimum distance between the projectile holes on a target (for example after firing a burst from MG) is also 4RUU*distance, even if spread function randomises smaller differences, they are rounded to 4RUU. The distance between holes on the test targets are not less than about 0.4m at 1000m. The hole pattern at 1000m (from moving aiming point or from random spread) is always a regular 40cm raster...

At least on my computer. Have to check if same happens for others... maybe not ??

But if you say that in network play the angle resolution is decreased anyway.... then probably the problem I see is not important - if I couldn't get 1RUU resolution in online play, then in most cases I don't need it offline too...

Thanks for the answer.

Upvote 0