• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why the Doshinegun is THE prime example of paid DLC

Breadsticks_

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2018
Now hold your horses and hear me out, I don't want an angry mob of people at my front door because I've made an edgy comment you don't agree with.
But when you look at the grand scheme of what paid dlc should be and what Tripwire promised with the introduction of paid dlc, this is it. I just wish this implementation of weapons like this could have came sooner.

The Doshinegun; a weapon that converts your unspent money into a form of firepower. This weapon (from what I can tell) is underpowered, is a mere gag of a weapon, looks good, and is an off-perk weapon. When you consider that the paid dlc should be optional NOT mandatory, this is your go to. Compare a weapon like the Doshinegun to that of the Piranha Pistols; a super strong weapon with jarring animations that are given to two of the stronger perks. This turns the purchase into something that feels mandatory.

Now, what am I truly getting at with all this in mind, and what should everyone take away from this?
The weapons that are paid dlc should feel like a fun gimic that brings satisfaction instead of power.
The weapons that are free should provide a new gameplay style to a given perk or enhance the existing playstyles. (With this in mind, please stop making every HRG weapon a neon-overdose).

An example of a free weapon implemetation would be the HRG Stunner. Instead of an AA-12 reskin, you could go just a tad further with the weapon design and use the saiga-12 model, with the same animations as the AA12.

Now, what am I truly getting at with all this in mind, and what should everyone take away from this?
The weapons that are paid dlc should feel like a fun gimic that brings satisfaction instead of power.
But there are other DLC weapons that basically do this that aren't the Doshinegun.

The Minigun is a prime example, off the top of my head: certainly not a top-tier weapon for Commando, perfectly usable if you're holding the line, basically unusuable in a kite-heavy group.

If every weapon were as gimmicky as the Doshinegun, nobody would buy them. It's a gimmick gun on a gimmick perk that, while not unviable, is definitely well into the realms of "joke weapon." For $10 USD, mind you, which is an impactful punchline to the joke.

I'll grant that I prefer it over something like, say, the Glocks, which while not P2W by the strict definition definitely scoot into "pay2EZ."

Upvote 0
But there are other DLC weapons that basically do this that aren't the Doshinegun.

The Minigun is a prime example, off the top of my head: certainly not a top-tier weapon for Commando, perfectly usable if you're holding the line, basically unusuable in a kite-heavy group.

If every weapon were as gimmicky as the Doshinegun, nobody would buy them. It's a gimmick gun on a gimmick perk that, while not unviable, is definitely well into the realms of "joke weapon." For $10 USD, mind you, which is an impactful punchline to the joke.

I'll grant that I prefer it over something like, say, the Glocks, which while not P2W by the strict definition definitely scoot into "pay2EZ."
I agree other DLC weapons make sense and adapt to the game. I understand that developers also sell DLC weapons for money because they have to earn a living from somewhere.

BUT the last DLC weapon made is nothing but garbage.

Upvote 0

Yeah there are weapons like the minigun, but then by that extent it is just a generally flawed gun rather than a gimmick. I use it every now and then on Zedternal and I just think to myself that the Stoner LMG is a lighter, cheaper (free) version of that very thing. (Plus using the m60 sound port from Battlefield 3 is the icing on the cake). I think that if you introduce a new weapon that you gotta pay money for, it's gotta be different and unique not just an "improved" version of the original thing.

True, Glocks are very much P2EZ plus after a while it's boring af, why does it need a suppressor on it? I wanna here it go brrrr. Whilst we are on the topic of Gunslinger
A bad example of this theory (despite how good it is) are the piranha pistols because it's a portable eviscerator, no originality to it and both PP and Eviscerator are on the same class anyway

Rhino generally speaking is the "best" gimmick weapon. It's off meta af but it can still pack-a-punch, the design is tidy and looks lush, and is satisfying as hell.
Other paid DLC weapons I would consider being good gimmicks like Dual Rhinos are:
Riot Shield and Glock
Compound Bow
Blunderbuss
Mine Reconstructor (despite how **** it is, it's the very idea of original against the other medic weapons)
Frost Fang

Plus yeah it's kinda bs that it's $10, they could have marketed the cosmetics to be in bundles from the start and probably made more money than lootboxes. KF2 isn't a AAA game and doesn't have the major popularity of games like Apex Legends to make Lootboxes a worth while implementation. Especially considering that people still paid the full $30 price tag before the weapon bundles and/or Weapon Pass.

Upvote 0
You just lose too much money when you use this gun. Maybe it might be more viable if other players couldn't pick up the money spewed by this gun? Or maybe a hefty dosh bonus higher than the usual cash for every zed killed by this gun (although I can already think of a smart team exploiting this...)

As of now, I can only use it in MP at the boss round or solo. You just lose too much money if you use this.

Upvote 0