• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why Red Orchestra 2 should go Free To play

Darrosquall

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
Hello everyone, please don't flame and be constructive.

Looking at steam charts and steamcommunity, this is the first thought that is coming to my mind.

Red Orchestra 2 should turn f2p. Why?The game now cost 4,49 euro.
What I can see is that the boost comes from this price is not relevant. Ro2 is now around 26 30 position in steam charts.

Players: around 4000, a 4X if you consider the ordinary daily peaks.

I think that commercial wave of the game has flattened down, but a proper new model can give a second life to this product.

How should be handled this passage?
I think that Ro2 has a lot of arrow to strike. Also an hybrid model can works.

1) Custom maps avalaible only for people who decide to buy the game.
2) Rifleman only for people don't pay anything.
3) Less XP earn.
4) Only two modality: Territory Realism and Territory Arcade.

You can do a lot of thing without affect negative the game.

And the game will end up like it is right now. It will be played by the same guys who bought the game.

Your whole post is insanity. I guess you know the definition of insanity.

He simply made a suggestion of why he believes the game should be free for all to play. No need to bash on him for that. A reply can be constructive or at least polite.

Upvote 0
No thanks, free game means cheaters everywhere, making free accounts once they get banned to restart again with them abundant free cheats and say bye-bye to the respectful behavior you encounter in most of the servers actually, in the meantime say hello to mass teamkills and disrespectful behavior from 12 years old kid pissed off because he got his nuts shot from someone he didn't saw.

I like to see more players on servers but will hate to see the game become free to play, just go play any free fps game and you will see what i mean, even leave the price to what it is right now in sale, make it 5$ only all the year, but never make it 100% free, free fps games population is for the majority a plague to avoid :D

Just my opinion

Your whole post is insanity. I guess you know the definition of insanity.
Far Cry lately ? ^^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No thanks, free game means cheaters everywhere, making free accounts once they get banned to restart again with them abundant free cheats and say bye-bye to the respectful behavior you encounter in most of the servers actually, in the meantime say hello to mass teamkills and disrespectful behavior from 12 years old kid pissed off because he got his nuts shot from someone he didn't saw.

for this reason, no All modes should be unlocked, easy. ;) there are a lot of possibility to customise experience, that four are only my suggestion.

I'd like to know what Tripwire think about this, because I feel that with Rising Storm something will happen in this direction.

Upvote 0

FTP= team damage reversed (killing the Tk'er). The entertainment value of that alone makes it appealing, hehe.

Upvote 0
And exactly what do TWI get out of the free to play buissness model.
Massive workload and no reward..lol..I don't think that's very sound economics these days.
The model they have now ensures a great deal of support will be in place for quite a few years to come.
So for me I can only say no, not a great idea.

Planetside2, Hawken, Tribes: Ascend, there are a lot of quality F2P out there.
In this life cycle of the product, RO2 doesn't sell enough, neither at 4,49 euro.

With a F2P model, they can sell class unlock, they can sell "classic mode", they can do a lot of things to encourage people to pay for the game.

Tripwire said that they'll continue support development until it does make sense to do it. I think that we are at that point, something should change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Planetside2, Hawken, Tribes: Ascend, there are a lot of quality F2P out there.
In this life cycle of the product, RO2 doesn't sell enough, neither at 4,49 euro.

With a F2P model, they can sell class unlock, they can sell "classic mode", they can do a lot of things to encourage people to pay for the game.

Tripwire said that they'll continue support development until it does make sense to do it. I think that we are at that point, something should change.

You know, I've been gaming for the last 2 decades now. And I've always despised the "free to play" model ever since it became popular. It's just a fancy name for a cashshop.
A cashshop has never served the consumer at all, it is just a method to make you pay more for less.

Red Orchestra 2 is one of those few games that actually does it the way it's supposed to be done. Buying a game should get you a full game, not a game with dozens of features stripped.

That this is something that will earn the company more money is one thing, but consumers actually asking for such a rip off? That's just beyond me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with the OP to a certain degree. This game at this point, has sold as much as it was going to sell. Even with TWI supporting it and Killing Floor at the same time, content has been slow to come (1 year, 2 maps)

I fully support TWI, but I think from their perspective It's better to start developing their next pay product, RO3? next killing floor?

This game is almost completely in the hands of the modders and mappers and TWI more in a support role. I realize TWI is a small studio, and as such needs to make another product that sells, and repeat the cycle. Not being harsh, but that's how game devs survive.

Now, I said I agree to a CERTAIN degree, meaning F2p would be an extreme, but not a grotesque negative. I think a maybe better idea to keep the game alive and fresh , with new players is for us current owners and players, receive the steam gifts where
we can turn people on to RO 2 like some had received before. That way the "free" RO2 would be in the hands of people that like the game. You can recommend to real life friends that RO2 is really good, and gift it to them.

Either that or buy the game for other people lol

my 3 cents(USD$) worth

Upvote 0