• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why radar ?

I agree.

I can counter all of the points needed to justify the arcadey features, but I won't go through it. Not my game anyways.

In the end, they're trying to sell as much as possible. This is called "making the game more accessible". I found RO to be the perfect balance of accessibility and realism. Now it will be a pain in the *** to find a proper server, spending 10-15 minutes searching for one that is set up the way I want it to be. Not my idea of fun when I only have an hour or so total to play games at times.

I would expect the next RO title (assuming there is one) to go the way of Rainbow Six Vegas.

The more I hear about this game, the more I feel I won't be buying until it hits the bargain bin. :(

Go read the GamesCon thread, and read through Ramm-Jager's and the other mod's posts.

Upvote 0
I agree with Flogger, I've been playing Red Orchestra since early in the mod days and loved every second of it. To me the game only got better, and this left me with great hopes for RO:HOS. I was so eager about the game that I even went out and built a nice new computer. But now after all the news about the new features I can't help but feel completely let down. Yes I know why TWI made these choices and I understand that each is kinda grounded in reality but damn I just can not support it. I am so fed up with the main stream market that just the fact that TWI wants to included some arcady features really turns me off from the game despite all the other additions to realism. And try as I might to get behind the new direction of TWI, I just can't the game has very little appeal to me now and this makes me sad as hell.

Upvote 0
Well I have been playing since 1.2 mod and I think that you should just wait for them to release a trial or something of the game.
If these features will get more players, good then. Bigger playerbase means more custom content. And I'm quite sure that someone will come up with a mod that removes the radar, aim zoom and whatever you don't like.

Upvote 0
Well I have been playing since 1.2 mod and I think that you should just wait for them to release a trial or something of the game.
If these features will get more players, good then. Bigger playerbase means more custom content. And I'm quite sure that someone will come up with a mod that removes the radar, aim zoom and whatever you don't like.

And I think we also have to keep in mind, that from here on out Tripwire will have to pay to license a game engine for their use (someone correct me if I am wrong). That means they must do things to ensure the money is there to do so. If not, we the players might ultimately be left out in the cold.

So we will get Realism and Relaxed Reaslism, of which I am sure we will have filters for in the game browser. I would also imagine that we can have some control over our own HUD, so if we don't want to see it, we don't have to.

Upvote 0
yeah I understand completely the reasoning behind TWI choices, but it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I will ultimately reserve my final opinion until the game gets released/reviewed/demoed; however, until then the initial Alpha video just doesn't capture the same feeling as the original. I don't mind arcade-like realism when it comes to certain game companies and desires, but for me RO filled a different role in my gaming needs and now it seems like RO:HoS will not fill those same needs.

Upvote 0
Aim zoom is realistic, ARMA 2 is the most realistic fps i have ever seen and it has aim zoom. Why the hell would someone want it taken out when we have already had so many valid reasons for its inclusion listed?

well some ppl confuse arma with ultimate realism
arma's strong point is huge combined arms operations wich it does verry well

but arma's infantry part is hardly medicore

Upvote 0
Go read the GamesCon thread, and read through Ramm-Jager's and the other mod's posts.

Sorry, bud, that isn't a rebuttal.

I don't like this "relaxed realism" ****, because frankly, it's going to make it much more difficult to find a vanilla server and it's going to divide a community that doesn't need to be divided and appeal to an audience that neither cares nor will appreciate either gametype and will probably be frustrated by the same things we're complaining about.

RO WAS accessible. It WAS fun. Compared to ArmA this game is a walk in the park. It's understandable, it's enjoyable, it's intense, visceral. It is a fantastic game and any tweaks to the formula are going to be met with justifiable skepticism.

This radar crap is just one thing out of a hundred that make people facepalm over other franchises. Seriously, bashing Call of Duty is practically a running joke on Red Orchestra, and now I'm seeing some of these features as crossing the line.

Allow the players to adapt to the circumstances, the lack of HUD and bullcrap in Ost Front is one of the best parts of the series. on-screen 3D maps are stupid, HUD radars are stupid, I can find my players by seeing them, by situational awareness, and by means of traditional communication.

Not to mention the fact that I flat out detect where my teammates are on the basis of the sounds of Russian/German weapons.

I haven't TK'ed anyone with an actual bullet in days despite playing Ost Front on Danzig almost nonstop. I TK'ed someone with nades today, but they were purely incidental.

It's not hard. Don't throw blind nades, watch your teammates, listen for the sounds of their rifles, and know which way the two spawns are located and you'd have to be braindead to screw it up.

Situational awareness is something that happens in your brain, not onscreen in a little HUD supermap.

Upvote 0
Aim zoom is realistic, ARMA 2 is the most realistic fps i have ever seen and it has aim zoom. Why the hell would someone want it taken out when we have already had so many valid reasons for its inclusion listed?

I think the aim zoom in ArmA 2 is great and should be implemented in Ost Front, although with a smaller scope from zoomed out to zoomed in.

I want the default though to be the same as Ost Front. I find myself using it in close quarters, even with bolt action rifles, and find it VERY utilitarian. The only time I ever feel the need for zoomed in sights is over long distances where I feel the need to buy a more powerful videocard and a higher resolution monitor so I can improve the image quality to the point where I can actually see things.

Yeah, it does get pretty harsh over about 100 m. Aim zoom is fine, but make it a page-up page-down affair instead of giving us one choice, a limited FOV auto-zoom. That or make it an options menu thing. I like Kar'ing PPSH noobs at point blank. I feel that automatic aim-zooming would compromise that whole affair and maybe even affect my rendering performance (I have that problem on BF2 engine games).

Upvote 0