• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why radar ?

BOH Warpig

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 22, 2009
hey guys

in the gamescom videos i have seen that the game will have a radar on the right corner.

BUT WHY

I think this is a realy bad idea because red orchestra dont had a radar and it was great without them.

no radar means to decide between enemy or friend and now you look on the radar and see that the guy next to you is in your team .

A radar dont make the game more real,
i think i say this for all RO fans that a radar wont be good for RO2

This reminds me to games like call of duty or medal of honor.

Pls tripwire let this feature out of the game

sry i hope you understand my english

Best wishes boh warpig​

look here.

Ah, you have to love shakeycam vids. So having been standing there when this was recorded, I will first say that the game looked nothing like this on the screen when it was shown. The video makes everything look super contrasted and all the colors "blown out". That and obviously the video is very low res, so things won't look even 10% as good as they do in person.

Anyway, there is an old saying in the air force - "If you aren't catching flak, then you aren't over the target." I guess we are right on top of it ;) As I have been saying all along, we're making the actual gunplay, gameplay and combat more realistic, but we're also giving players more information about the tactical situation and what is going on in the game world. This will make the game more accessible while still keeping the core realistic gameplay. I see a lot of posts in the RO forums saying "we want a bigger community", "you should advertise more" etc. No amount of advertising will keep the community for the new game growing and together if more people can't get into and enjoy the game. We have had to find creative ways to reduce the learning curve, and make the game appealing to a broader audience. Otherwise you'll end up with a community the same size as RO:Ost (which was still pretty big, but not massive like BF or COD). That, and ROHOS will end up costing about 30x more than RO:Ost to make, so we have to sell a few more copies this time around :)

Another thing to point out, is that the game will have different stock server setups, which will be "relaxed realism" and "realistic". Relaxed realism will be what you have seen in these videos, and will include all of the new interface helpers that we have added to the game. With that said, "relaxed realism" will still be 10X more hardcore and realistic than COD or Battlefield (its actually much more hardcore than COD's "hardcore" mode). "Realistic" will be for the more hardcore players, and will have some of the new interface helps, etc disabled. Beyond this, server admins will be able to set up a custom configuration that picks and chooses which features to have. All of this adds up to a game that will have a much bigger community than the first game, and be a lot of fun to be a part of.

So next I'd like to clear up some misconceptions I've seen in this thread:

1) Low quality textures - the textures look great in person and are very high quality and high resolution. This is a shakey cam vid, so expect everything to look odd. A shakey cam vid of Crysis 2 would have the same problems.

2) Is he playing with a console controller? No I'm not playing with a console controller. This is a PC game, through and through. If/when it would show up on the consoles, it will be a great console port of a PC game, not the other way around (i.e. we're not going to do a crappy PC port of a console game).

3) FOV Zoom - those of you that have been around long enough know that I was VERY against having any type of FOV zoom in Red Orchestra. There have been some very heated discussions between myself and people in the community, and even between me and other members of the dev team. As hard as people tried, they could never make a compelling argument for FOV Zoom being realistic, since all their arguments were based on personal interpretation (i.e. when I look at something it gets more in "focus") rather than factual evidence.

When doing research for ROHOS, we decided to do a scientific investigation into how the human eye works, and how large objects would need to appear on screen to be the same size as they would be in real life. We used as a baseline a 19" monitor (standard aspect ratio) and a 21" monitor (widescreen aspect ratio). We went out to a football field and measured with a pair of calipers placed a standard distance from a persons eye how large a person appeared to be at different distances (out to 100 meters). To sum up our findings, to appear to be "real life size" on the player's screen, you have to decrease the FOV (zoom in) a little over 2x. In other words, in RO:Ost, somone 100 meters away in game appears 2x smaller than they would in real life, thus making it much HARDER than real life to shoot them. This lead to what many refer to as "pixel hunting". Now in ROHOS, with the FOV zoom when using controlled breathing objects in the world appear their real life size. This not only has made the game more realistic, it has also both made the game easier, and made long range firefights a lot more fun and practical.

So in conclusion, I was the biggest hater of FOV zoom going into our research, but the facts proved me wrong.

4) They are showing the ammo count - no we are not. We are only showing the magazine count. And when you reload you get the message about the weight of your mag, just like RO:Ost. One more realistic feature we have now though, is you can actually press a key to check the weight of your mag without doing a full reload (the player quickly removes the mag, feels the weight, and puts it back in). Not only that, but the mag count isn't even on the screen all the time like on Ost - it only appears when you reload or hold down the tactical key.

5) The game has "radar" - the game doesn't have radar. You only see your squad mates that are within a very close radius. Right now we've got two different settings for this - one where they only show up on the minimap when they are actually within sight of the player, and one where they show up if they are in line of sight or not within the short radius. One of the main goals of ROHOS is to give players the tools they need to easily stick together and play as squads. Being able to easily find your squad mates is a big part of this. I personally think both of these methods are realistic. In real life, even if someone is just in the other room, you can hear them moving around, and you can talk back and forth to each other and hear their location. That is what this system simulates. It might "seem" unrealistic on the surface, but actually gives the player the tactical awareness they would have in real life, while improving team play.

6) Hit direction detection - there is nothing unrealistic about this. If a person takes damage from one side of their body they know which general direction it happened from. Also, generally in RO (HOS or Ost) you die very quickly, so unless you got shot in the arm, you usually find out which direction you are getting shot from just in time to watch the person shooting at you kill you :)

7) Bullet whiz indicators - these don't show up just anytime someone is shooting at you, the bullets have to pass very close to you. In real life, you could both hear the gun fire, and hear the general direction a bullet whizzes by you from. In game this can be somewhat represented with sound if you have 5.1 surround, but if you don't then you couldn't really tell. So this actually gives you an awareness of what you could sense in real life. Additionally, this only gives you a general idea of the direction a bullet whizzes from. It is divided into 8 directions, so you know it came from "forward-right" but not exactly which direction. This could well be one of the things we may turn off for the "realistic" mode.

8) A mic is as good as "tactical view" - nope, not even close. Ever stood there with a mic right next to another player trying to explain to them where to go? "Umm yeah walk around this building then go up the stairs and uh, just screw it follow me." Don't you ever wish you could just point at something and say "go there"? That is essentially what tactical view does. There is a LOT of additional functionality that tactical view provides which we haven't gone into yet, but suffice it to say that it is a key element of the teamplay and squad functionality in the new game. And in reality, it does the same job as the overhead map, it just does it better.

9) AI on easy mode - yes in the demo the AI was set to easy mode, so I wouldn't get pwned while showing off the features. The AI is more than capable of owning any human player on the higher difficulty levels, and is actually probably too good right now :) It is LIGHT years beyond the AI in Ostfront, the two don't even compare.

And if you think this looks terrible:

http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/wp-content/gallery/rohos-august-screenshots/rooftop_battle.jpg

then you need to get you're eyes checked ;)

Upvote 0
there appears to be no other way unfortunately of giving players a sense of where their direct squad members are. as the game will rely on squad systems apparently, you need to give players some way of keeping track of where they are, as in real life you have all sort of senses that allow you to keep a 3d image in your head of the situation.

Upvote 0
there appears to be no other way unfortunately of giving players a sense of where their direct squad members are. as the game will rely on squad systems apparently, you need to give players some way of keeping track of where they are, as in real life you have all sort of senses that allow you to keep a 3d image in your head of the situation.

As John said we did a fair bit of research on vision and so forth coming int to RO2. It highlighted a whole pile of things, including the very narrow band of very detailed focus of the human eye (statistically slightly different between men and women) and the area of peripheral vision, which mostly detects motion.

We messed around with modelling this directly, but, frankly it looked damn odd on mock-ups. The problem is that you move your eyes around the screen, without the viewpoint in the game changing, so we had to think about what actual effect do we need to mimic. This became MORE important as we thought about stuff like squad-based play.

So, we needed to cover the fact that, when just moving about, the human eye roves all over the place very quickly, so you need a good "general" focus. But you alos have a very good sense of where the rest of your squad are, even if you have to glance round behind you - or you know someone just dived out of site behind a crate. Finally, when you are aiming, you are far more focused on that area - or if you stop and look very carefully in one direction.

No, the human eye doesn't have a "zoom" function. But you do go from a very general focus, down to a very specific one. The FOV on screen doesn't accurately mimic what the human eye actually does, so...

1. The game gives you a good, standard view.
2. The mini-map tells you where your squad mates are, that you could see at a glance or hear in r/l.
3. Peripheral movement indicators give you a (small) sense of something going on (substantial movement) in your r/l peripheral field.
4. When you stop and deliberately focus on something, you can see it more clearly - shrinking the FOV in game terms.

Bullet whizzes/cracks and direction indicator are designed to help you pick out information in the game world that you get in real life. When someone gets shot in r/l, you are damn well aware which side of you got hit! If someone misses (very close by) you'll get a good sense of where it came from - not accurate, but "left/right/behind".

As for a comment made elsewhere about the tac HUD, John put it very nicely - you want to be able to POINT where you want people to go - and I want to be able to remind myself in game what commands are flying around - "fire-team 1, over THERE, rest FOLLOW ME" etc. Icons may change, of course :)

Everything we are doing is working on the principal of "what would a soldier ACTUALLY know on the battlefield", followed by "how do we translate that into the game world". Some of it is easier than others - not everything will make it in :)

Upvote 0
Can't it be done like in ArmA 2, using orbs? Then when the player does a mouseover action on the orb, more text information is shown.
Orbs should for friendlies within line-of-sight only, for obvious reasons.

There it is, no use of minimaps while still showning detailed information. If needed of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TWI is adding arcade game elements to RO for mass users, casual players and console-pad players to sell more copies and get more money. Well, Red Orchestra mod and retail game were made with passion, not to make everyone happy (like CoD series is easy game) and it was a success!

Some quotas

"... RO is also one of the market's most unique new shooters"
4/5 Stars - Gamespy

Tripwire's attention to accessible realism is unrivaled"
- Computer Gaming World

"Red Orchestra offers exactly the right mixture of action and realism"
- PC PowerPlay

Red Orchestra scores "Best Multiplayer Game" for 2006 over at VooDoo Extreme.

When RO:HoS will be another FPS, with arcade elements ppl forget about that game very fast cos RO fans go play in ArmA2 or other realistic game, casual players will play next CoD or BF game anyway. RO:O was unique and only what it need is new engine, maps, weapons, vehicles, advanced tank damage system (like in DH mod) and other cool features but not arcade elements.

Instead of radars, tagnames, etc create a good tutorial in single player mode, add tips "how to use map, tanks, cap zones, etc" and put in menu big sign "RO:HoS doesnt have crosshair, please don't report it in our bug section on forum"

The only hope are modders and mods "normal mode" which remove all elements from console, radars, extra huds elements, fix recoils, damage system etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TWI is adding arcade game elements to RO for mass users, casual players and console-pad players to sell more copies and get more money. Well, Red Orchestra mod and retail game were made with passion, not to make everyone happy (like CoD series is easy game) and it was a success!

Some quotas

4/5 Stars - Gamespy

- Computer Gaming World

- PC PowerPlay

When RO:HoS will be another FPS, with arcade elements ppl forget about that game very fast cos RO fans go play in ArmA2 or other realistic game, casual players will play next CoD or BF game anyway. RO:O was unique and only what it need is new engine, maps, weapons, vehicles, advanced tank damage system (like in DH mod) and other cool features but not arcade elements.

Instead of radars, tagnames, etc create a good tutorial in single player mode, add tips "how to use map, tanks, cap zones, etc" and put in menu big sign "RO:HoS doesnt have crosshair, please don't report it in our bug section on forum"

The only hope are modders and mods "normal mode" which remove all elements from console, radars, extra huds elements, fix recoils, damage system etc.

I'm baffled...

Try reading the forums a bit, it has been already stated that there are two server side settings for the multiplayer. Relaxed realism and the regular RO stuff.

Upvote 0
Ick.

Tripwire burned bridges with a lot of RO Mod Fans by making Ostfront 41-45 more arcady then the UT Mod, now the bar is going even lower in some kind of weird appeal to the mass-market... As if there aren't enough 'accessible' simple-minded, action-arcade shooters with a WW II paint job (I count over 1,400)... If this is what Tripwire figure will make them more money; more power to 'em -- but it won't come from my wallet.

:(

Upvote 0
Ick.

Tripwire burned bridges with a lot of RO Mod Fans by making Ostfront 41-45 more arcady then the UT Mod, now the bar is going even lower in some kind of weird appeal to the mass-market... As if there aren't enough 'accessible' simple-minded, action-arcade shooters with a WW II paint job (I count over 1,400)... If this is what Tripwire figure will make them more money; more power to 'em -- but it won't come from my wallet.

Huh? Watch the videos. There is a kind of beginner mode, which the videos are on. Then there is a realism mode, which is far more similar to the RO:OST mode, where a lot of the visual helps are removed.

Upvote 0
ok i have thougt about the multiplayer and if we will have a radar hud in multi this isnt good i think.

It is NOT an all-seeing "radar". Sheesh. Too late a t night to be repeating what it actually shows you. Besides, if you have the perfect awareness, then just turn it off.

What you mean by direction indicator?

As John said elsewhere, just a flash giving you a vague direction of where something came from - so long as there is sufficient information to tell!

Ick.

What on earth makes you think Heroes will be "simple-minded", "action-arcade" with a "WWII paint job"? I don't remember making Ostfront "arcady" either, come to think of it. But you're right - we won't please everyone. We just happen to think we WILL please most/all of those who liked and appreciated Ostfront. The trick is to educate a whole new generation into loving our brand of realism.

Upvote 0

Some quotas

4/5 Stars - Gamespy

- Computer Gaming World

- PC PowerPlay

I agree.

I can counter all of the points needed to justify the arcadey features, but I won't go through it. Not my game anyways.

In the end, they're trying to sell as much as possible. This is called "making the game more accessible". I found RO to be the perfect balance of accessibility and realism. Now it will be a pain in the *** to find a proper server, spending 10-15 minutes searching for one that is set up the way I want it to be. Not my idea of fun when I only have an hour or so total to play games at times.

I would expect the next RO title (assuming there is one) to go the way of Rainbow Six Vegas.

The more I hear about this game, the more I feel I won't be buying until it hits the bargain bin. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0