• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

why is the flamer back?!

SeptemberSnow;n2298997 said:
actually the PAVN using flamethrower in vietnam war too (LPO-50) . you may ask tripwire add it for them

Deployed it surprisingly often as well. It's often mentioned in a lot of NVA assaults on positions American positions. Though they didn't tend to use it to great effect. In fact when I was reading up on the defence at Con Thein there was a quote of an American saying "The only one of them I saw was one of their flamethrowers. As soon as he fired on the wire he lit up his own position so well he only got a 2 second spray before every gun we had turned on him."

Upvote 0
I actually don't like the flame thrower for historical reasons (same goes for that stupid Vietnamese shot gun). It wasn't used all that often by the Americans, the only really note-able occasion it was used on was Dak To/Hill 875.

I'd rather the flame thrower become a map specific class, like the engineer on Iwo/Phosphate plant.

Upvote 0
The problem with these kind of "hero weapons" is that while they are hard to use correctly, and especially with the risk of TKs, there are inevitably some players who always pick the flamer role, and get really really good at using it, learn the routes they can use to get around the enemy lines undetected and cause havoc. Sure might be fun for the one playing but not much for everyone else, getting suddenly burned from somewhere behind.

So many kills lately have been due to some flamer getting past our lines undetected and roasting our defense lines. HOW these guys manage to get to these positions I have no idea, it's like the rest of the team are blindly running around like headless chickens. Which is the general state of the usual FPS player these days so I guess it makes sense...

Flame throwers are supposed to be used to slowly and meticulously clear out enemy bunkers and tunnel systems, with assistance from regular grunts, and not be be a rambo hard-on promoting tool for a couple of "leet" players with fast enough harddrives to enable them to choose the role before anyone else.

Upvote 0
hekuball;n2299248 said:
so, what do you want? no flame-thrower in RS2? I can't quite understand what this thread wants.

I advocate it's removal. it's often a spam weapon, note the video above, even when you get the drop on a flamer you're literally toast. it's a gun that the smart flamer spammers use to put out little puffs that kill multiple people but save the "limited 2 seconds of ammo" and allow many kills the be racked up. it also discourages strong fortified positions because of the ease to clear them out with a flamer, it was that way, and still is IMO. The gun tends to also be used more as a solo kill weapon that is far and away more effective than a shotgun since a small amount of flame licking you is all that is needed to give you the familiar Rising storm- "look my Japanese troops are made from flammable materials such as sticks and gasoline"- sound and subsequent death. Add into that the fact the US has the blooper (basically an even more effective knee mortar that can be fired on the move now directly or indirectly plus has ammo choices) attack choppers, pump shotguns etc. it's crazy that the US also needs a flamer.

Upvote 0
gimpy117;n2299376 said:
I advocate it's removal. it's often a spam weapon, note the video above, even when you get the drop on a flamer you're literally toast. it's a gun that the smart flamer spammers use to put out little puffs that kill multiple people but save the "limited 2 seconds of ammo" and allow many kills the be racked up. it also discourages strong fortified positions because of the ease to clear them out with a flamer, it was that way, and still is IMO. The gun tends to also be used more as a solo kill weapon that is far and away more effective than a shotgun since a small amount of flame licking you is all that is needed to give you the familiar Rising storm- "look my Japanese troops are made from flammable materials such as sticks and gasoline"- sound and subsequent death. Add into that the fact the US has the blooper (basically an even more effective knee mortar that can be fired on the move now directly or indirectly plus has ammo choices) attack choppers, pump shotguns etc. it's crazy that the US also needs a flamer.
The flamethrower has a maximum range of 30 meters, and while can bounce off walls cannot penetrate walls(hello RPG). You also light up like a Christmas tree when you use the flame thrower, everyone knows where the hell you're at. You also run slower than you did in RS1.

And your implication that just getting "licked" by a flamethrower wouldn't instantly make you combat ineffective if not out right killing you is largely BS. Taking a direct blast from a flame thrower, even if it didn't fully engulf you means you're pretty much dead in the real world. At the very least(and I mean very) you're on the ground and unable to fight back. The notion people would just run around on fire screaming while being engulfed in flames or the idea that you could just "brush off" a "flamethrower lick" are absolutely complete fiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaptenkrut
Upvote 0
I like the flamer and am more concerned with other things in the game, such as separating WP and C4 from the same inventory key on combat engineer. Fixing bambu fences penetration issues and glitchy mantle issues. C4 and WP throwing animation issues, friendlies not showing on map bugs.... so many more important problems to deal with. Not to mention optimization improvements.

Upvote 0