• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why is it called a Scrake?

Might be a weird question and might have been answered elsewhere (might not even have an answer at all), but I've always wondered what "scrake" means.
All the other specimens have pretty straightforward explanations, but scrake isn't even a word.
Any ideas?

Possibly an onomatopoeia for the sound a chainsaw would make cutting through flesh and bone or being dragged over a surface?

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I've heard it as slang somewhere before, I believe its a cross between scrape and rake, where a scrape is a small cut, but to rake it is like snagging the wound and tearing at it to make the wound much larger and more painful.

A chainsaw as you probably know doesn't cut cleanly, it is designed to tear small chunks out of wood and timber, so in the case of hitting flesh, each part of the chain will create a relatively small wound on contact, but as it whips past it will rip the flesh in the process.

I might be talking out my arse ofc, but Scrake never appeared as an alien word to me, and this is what I think of when I look at the word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I've heard it as slang somewhere before, I believe its a cross between scrape and rake, where a scrape is a small cut, but to rake it is like snagging the wound and tearing at it to make the wound much larger and more painful.

A chainsaw as you probably know doesn't cut cleanly, it is designed to tear small chunks out of wood and timber, so in the case of hitting flesh, each part of the chain will create a relatively small wound on contact, but as it whips past it will rip the flesh in the process.

I might be talking out my arse ofc, but Scrake never appeared as an alien word to me, and this is what I think of when I look at the word.

^ this. when I heard the word "Scrake", and heard the attack sound when it hits me, I understood 100% what it meant, mostly because the flesh-ripping sound.

Upvote 0