• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why I will no longer be a tripwire customer.

Doomjedi

Apr 20, 2013
First of all, I'm just going to get this right out there, so people understand why I'm making this post.

I love every game you guys have produced. I've spent hundreds of hours in killing floor, happily getting my *** kicked by zeds. I played Red Orchestra the moment I heard about it, and still consider it to be one of the absolute best games ever made. I spent way to much on a computer upgrade simply so I could play the sequel, only to find I still wasn't past mininum specs, and didn't care. And while I haven't played dwarves(long story there) and by my own admittance, likely never will, I did manage to make it a pretty decent length through the ball, even though I suck at anything puzzle related.

With the exception of Killing floor and the original Red Orchestra, I also pre-ordered all of those games.

Unfortunately, the first time I needed customer support, I was told repeatedly I couldn't even deal with tripwire directly to fix the issue I was having. Thus begin a now almost 6 month long nightmare, where I had to deal with steam support instead and found my requests for help deleted, locked, moved, pronounced taken care of despite no solution even being offered, and when I pressed the issue, I ended up being threatened, sworn at, and enduring months worth of abuse from steam support, who inexplicably, I kept being told, were the only people who could fix this problem.

The customer support, such as people keep insisting it must be called for this issue, was the worst I'd ever had in my life.

And I should never have been in the position where a third party can threaten me for seeking support for one of your products to begin with. But I was.

Now, after months of this garbage, steam support just told me that the fairly simple issue (a steam client update somehow robbing me of access to two DLC characters I've been able to use for several years previously without issue) was caused by me somehow not having pre-ordered or finished achievements in game, both provably false statements on their part.

What it really is, is they never had any interest in even trying to help me with this issue. I knew that from the first time they sent me to talk to you, but tried to get ahold of you anyways. Then they told me that you hadn't even attempted to e-mail them, despite e-mails I had from you saying otherwise.

Now it's almost 6 months later, and all trying to contact who you told me I needed to to get this issue fixed has done is seen to it that I've been threatened further. And they're now telling me I've never had the ability to use any of these DLC characters, despite two years of past access to them, despite the fact that one of them was the character I had selected and in use before the entire nightmare begin.

My issue is this. You never should have put me in the position to have to rely on a third party simply to be able to play part of my game. You never should have put me in a position to be harassed, and threatened, and strung along for almost six months by a third party. I've e-mailed you on this issue a half a dozen times, and all I ever got from you is sympathy, and a referral back to the very people who took two DLC characters from me and refuse to repair the issue.

Believe me, I don't want to do this. but it should never be up to a third party if I get the ability to even play any portion of what you have made. I should never have to risk threat or harassment, simply for wanting to be able to use part of what you've made.

I have no doubts if I'd been able to deal with you guys directly, instead of being forcibly referred to steam support, multiple times, this issue would've been fixed long ago, without any of the unpleasantness I had to endure.

I regret things had to be this way. If you ever produce a Killing floor sequel, I won't be buying it. I won't be playing multiplayer for Rising Storm anymore.

But the way you guys choose to distribute your games means I'll eventually be referred to steam support to try and get an issue fixed again, and that's a nightmare I'm not willing to endure ever again.

For what it's worth, I'll always remember the time I had playing your games fondly. Nothing you guys, personally did wronged me in any way, with the exception of choosing to distribute your games through steam, in such a way I had an issue that could be fixed according to you, solely by steam support.

You aren't exactly in the minority of developers to do that to me, either.

I wish it could be another way, but you haven't left that as an option for me. Allegedly I can play the ball without runnning into these issues if I buy it via gog.com, but thus far, that's the only game you've had any part in publishing or developing it's possible to get anywhere but steam that I know of.

For what it's worth, I still wish you guys all the success in the world. You've definitely worked hard enough to have earned it.

Just don't expect me to be buying any more of your products should I have to deal with steam support for any issues they might have.

For the record, in case I've given people here the wrong impression...

Tripwire interactive and it's employees have been great at trying to help with this. As have various people on these forums. As well as members of the game community, various players who've tried to help me with this issue on steam, ect.

Steam support on the other hand, hasn't been.

Dealing with steam support has been a nightmare, and it just keeps getting progressively worse.

I'm only in the position of having to because Tripwire can't turn DLC characters on on my account after someone at Valve turned them off, hopefully by accident. DLC characters I've had at least two years in one case.

Tripwire has gone well above and beyond to try and help me out.

Just so anyone reading this is clear. I'm not planning on buying any future tripwire interactive products if their sold on, or require me to potentially deal with steam support. I also won't be buying anything by quite a few other developers that would require me to deal with steam support.

I just thought tripwire had the right to know how bad the problem I've had with steam support is likely to affect me buying any of their future products if they're only available via steam.

Upvote 0
That's pretty rough, man. If you can look past all of the BS that Valve's support threw at you, I'm sure it would be pretty rewarding to stay on board. I've loved the fairly regular stream of free content they've given to the players over the years; it is way better than a lot of the big developers. Plus, most of the paid DLC that they offer isn't even gamebreaking if you decide not to get it.

Though, if I went through what you had, I'm not sure if I wouldn't be thinking similarly. I would be legitimately POed for being thrown through those hoops. In any case, I hope I can see you in a TWI game at some point or another. Lord knows, I need some good people to gank some zeds with.

Upvote 0
tl;dr

(a steam client update somehow robbing me of access to two DLC characters I've been able to use for several years previously without issue)

must not buy anymore games from steam...uninstalles in rage..

But in all seriousness...I only had to raise 3 tickets with steam Support since 2006. They were all resolved really quick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I had my account Hijacked and NEVER could get any help and ended up losing about 10 games. Hence I try not to buy games that use Steam but it seems everyone is using them. I had to make a new account but I lost Left for DEAD and Halflife2 among other games that I would have to rebuy.

Needless to say I dont buy alot of new games anymore, plus I don't like the idea of renting my game since the copy I own means nothing and the HUGE patches usually required because of the updating not being able to open the pack files.

I still can't believe how many people supported Valve on this, they should have boycotted them to stop this, as we just lost the rights to our own games which we had on disc!

Upvote 0
I still can't believe how many people supported Valve on this, they should have boycotted them to stop this, as we just lost the rights to our own games which we had on disc!

Or we could all still be Luddites who think having boxes and boxes of games lying around is good. I have lost count of the number of games i have owned since I started gaming on the Colour Genie back in the day(back when we needed a tape to load them). Do I own any of them now. Err no they have all been thrown away. So am I bothered about not actually physically owning my games.

Well that will be a no then (even more so if its stops us wasting resources making the stuff and then throwing it away when its done). I much prefer the current way. So get over it mate there is no going back now.

Do you own a generic MP3 player? generic ebook reader? If so then what is the issue with valve?

I personally don't own an ebook reader(thats not to say I wouldn't or that I think they are crap) in fact I think they are amazing things. But I am old fashioned and prefer books. But thats my choice. But then my shelves are groaning under the weight of the books I have(and the wife makes me have a clear out every know and then).

Upvote 0
Or we could all still be Luddites who think having boxes and boxes of games lying around is good. I have lost count of the number of games i have owned since I started gaming on the Colour Genie back in the day(back when we needed a tape to load them). Do I own any of them now. Err no they have all been thrown away. So am I bothered about not actually physically owning my games.

Not to mention that the risk of someone hacking your Steam account and stealing your games is about as big as someone breaking in and entering your house and stealing your hard copies. Try and ask the game developers to replace your game after that. That's right, wont happen either.

I don't particularly fancy e-books, I prefer my vinyls over mp3s, but I do consider cloud based game purchasing one of the greatest things to have happened to the gaming business in years.

Sure, back in the day a big fat manual, a novella, a poster or some other merchandise would convince me to purchase a hardcopy (Infocom were legendary not only for their games, but also when it came to this sort of stuff. Their Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was sold with a complete printed replica of one days worth of Arthur Dents trashmail. Maxis was known for their big fat manuals and guidebooks, and same with Microprose, glittered text book size manuals), but it has been years now since even printed manuals stopped being complimentary when you bought hard copies.

As such I can save my shelfspace for my printed books and vinyls and reinstall my games no problem when I upgrade my OS.

Upvote 0