• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

why even have levelling?

Don Draper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne Australia
I played KF1 spent hours levelling everything up, and one thing that stood out to me when i played KF2 for free this week end was....

Why leveling at all? i mean why bother?
Or is it intergal to the reward pathways when playing, that there is a kind of award for playing which makes people play even longer?

When i played, i used commando, and i felt like the leveling was not needed, we should just start out fully maxed, and your special perks and combination of weapons should be the art of the game, not waiting for XPoints.

Coming from KF1 i really would prefer fully leveled, and i just choose the Difficlutly level to suit.

Anyone else feel this way? they just dont want to go through that grind?

I wont be buying the game till Full release, but the leveling was really the only thing that held it back for me.... maybe coming from KF1 i feel like i had been there done that. ... ATMomment, i am more about just being able to jump on into KF2 for a few hours now and then and play it for fun fully leveled.. it will take me years to level. Is there any short cut for a fuly lvl KF1 player? who just wants to have fun?

Im really suprised because i thought i would be dissappointed by other possible quirks in the game... but suprisingly im just not interested in leveling any more.

If all perks start out at max level, why even have different difficulty levels then?

for different skill levels and casual play, that said in that case less levels would suffice.

OP: just my opinion but dont agree, i enjoy the "grind" since i can see the effects of the gradual change, making different gameplay experience as i go, taking less shots, or different ammo/money conservation strategies, integrating different amount of perk skills, etc.

short story, is less monotonous. for those that dont want that there are always options.

Upvote 0
Or is it intergal to the reward pathways when playing, that there is a kind of award for playing which makes people play even longer?

You just answered your own question. There's replay-ability. You're awarded by gaining level's which then you go up in difficulty which is reaching the top: Hell on Earth.

Dron Draper said:
When i played, i used commando, and i felt like the leveling was not needed, we should just start out fully maxed, and your special perks and combination of weapons should be the art of the game, not waiting for XPoints.

There lies the problem. You would see an influx of level 0's and people who had just started in the highest difficulty. There would be a giant amount of people wiping in first few waves.

Don Draper said:
Coming from KF1 i really would prefer fully leveled, and i just choose the Difficlutly level to suit.

Anyone else feel this way? they just dont want to go through that grind?

No, I feel a good sense of accomplishment when I gain my rewards: skills. Now that I fully leveled everything there really isnt a drive to play. The new gun slinger class gave me a drive to play again.

Don Draper said:
I wont be buying the game till Full release, but the leveling was really the only thing that held it back for me.... maybe coming from KF1 i feel like i had been there done that. ... ATMomment, i am more about just being able to jump on into KF2 for a few hours now and then and play it for fun fully leveled.. it will take me years to level. Is there any short cut for a fuly lvl KF1 player? who just wants to have fun?

I fully leveled every class on KF1. What did I do? I sucked it up and started to play the sequel. Having fun leveling, learning the mechanics of the new classes and developing new strategies. Along with meeting new peoples. "Years" is not true, just plain ridiculous. It took me a couple of weeks leveling everything. I played at the most two or three hours every few days.

Don Draper said:
Im really suprised because i thought i would be dissappointed by other possible quirks in the game... but suprisingly im just not interested in leveling any more.

Then wait for the full release. There isnt a fast track to leveling in this game but playing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If all perks start out at max level, why even have different difficulty levels then?

I thought that was self evident? Because you may want to play a relaxing game, or a tense game.

One that is forgiving, and one that is not.
one where you can try stuff for giggles are not going to wipe... and another for when you want to get serious.

Upvote 0
for different skill levels and casual play, that said in that case less levels would suffice.

OP: just my opinion but dont agree, i enjoy the "grind" since i can see the effects of the gradual change, making different gameplay experience as i go, taking less shots, or different ammo/money conservation strategies, integrating different amount of perk skills, etc.

short story, is less monotonous. for those that dont want that there are always options.

Dont get me wrong, i kind of enjoyed the grind in the original KF1, but im a bit over it, i know the game pretty well (of course there are things to learn in this) and im a bit older and probably am not going to spend the amount of time in the game needed to get max anytime soon.

I think it would be nice if older KF1 maxed players could choose to level it all....for the sake of brevity.

Upvote 0
You just answered your own question. There's replay-ability. You're awarded by gaining level's which then you go up in difficulty which is reaching the top: Hell on Earth.
Except you lack all the fine tuning of your perk that you get by the grind, so if i want to play easy, but i want faster reload, accuracy, damage, less recoil, but still want to play a easy game i can do that fully leveled by playing on Hard. But i cant enjoy all that fine tuning on a higher diffculty with lvl4. commando. does that make sense? i dont really want to work my *** off for hours to get a stable gun. I just want to play all decked out.. and choose my difficulty.

There lies the problem. You would see an influx of level 0's and people who had just started in the highest difficulty. There would be a giant amount of people wiping in first few waves.
but people can play as lvl 0's on HOE now.. so i dont understand the problem, they will choose the difficulty accoding to there personal skill and knowlegde of the game.

No, I feel a good sense of accomplishment when I gain my rewards: skills. Now that I fully leveled everything there really isnt a drive to play. The new gun slinger class gave me a drive to play again.

I felt the oppposite, i got tired of grinding, but when every perk was leveled i loved going on to a HoE and trying stuff, practicing getting better.. or sometimes just having fun.. lvling is fun when you are young and new to the game.. but i only care about having fun playing finding combos etc..
I fully leveled every class on KF1. What did I do? I sucked it up and started to play the sequel. Having fun leveling, learning the mechanics of the new classes and developing new strategies. Along with meeting new peoples. "Years" is not true, just plain ridiculous. It took me a couple of weeks leveling everything. I played at the most two or three hours every few days.
You leveled all perks to 25 in a few weeks only playing 3 hours a day.. hrrmmm...

Then wait for the full release. There isnt a fast track to leveling in this game but playing.

It will probably turn me off the game TBH, I just want to have fun playing... not leveling.

Upvote 0
Except you lack all the fine tuning of your perk that you get by the grind, so if i want to play easy, but i want faster reload, accuracy, damage, less recoil, but still want to play a easy game i can do that fully leveled by playing on Hard.

You can still play casually. I fine tuned all my perks from 1-25 and learned. You can still have fun on hard mode. Even at level 10 you can jump on suicide and stay there. Just know that on HoE you will need to be above level 20. There is a considerable gap in damage.

Don Draper said:
But i cant enjoy all that fine tuning on a higher diffculty with lvl4. commando. Does that make sense? i dont really want to work my *** off for hours to get a stable gun. I just want to play all decked out.. and choose my difficulty.

Then dont work and play. Find your friends and just play. Suicide is between HOE and Nap mode (hard). You can play as casually as you want there.

Don Draper said:
but people can play as lvl 0's on HOE now.. so i dont understand the problem, they will choose the difficulty accoding to there personal skill and knowlegde of the game.

Bull****, Ive seen level 0's on HOE that knew how to play and they were instantly killed. They had gimped damage in the start and their lack of skills would have gave them a better chance. There's a reason for leveling up: Damage, health, skills and experience. This is a new game.

Don Draper said:
I felt the oppposite, i got tired of grinding, but when every perk was leveled i loved going on to a HoE and trying stuff, practicing getting better.. or sometimes just having fun.. lvling is fun when you are young and new to the game.. but i only care about having fun playing finding combos etc..

You can still do that if you just focus on one perk. I decided to level all of them just to get it out of the way. Gave me something to do.

Don Draper said:
You leveled all perks to 25 in a few weeks only playing 3 hours a day.. hrrmmm...

It's called efficiency. I try to play perfect. I received a level or two in my sessions. I played around 4 times a week.

Don Draper said:
I will probably turn me off the game TBH, I just want to have fun playing... not leveling.

Then all I can say is bye bye.

Upvote 0
You can still play casually. I fine tuned all my perks from 1-25 and learned. You can still have fun on hard mode. Even at level 10 you can jump on suicide and stay there. Just know that on HoE you will need to be above level 20. There is a considerable gap in damage.
I dont care what you do, i want fully lvled, is that hard for you to understand?

Then dont work and play. Find your friends and just play. Suicide is between HOE and Nap mode (hard). You can play as casually as you want there.
I have no friends. I just want to play lvled and choose my difficulty, why are you trying to convince me other wise?
I have done lvling, i have no interest in it. ill just have to wait for a cheat map i suppose.

Bull****, Ive seen level 0's on HOE that knew how to play and they were instantly killed. They had gimped damage in the start and their lack of skills would have gave them a better chance. There's a reason for leveling up: Damage, health, skills and experience. This is a new game.
That was not your argument, you said all the HoE would be full of noobs.
If what you are saying is true, then i dont see why that is a problem?

You can still do that if you just focus on one perk. I decided to level all of them just to get it out of the way. Gave me something to do.

You make it sound like a chore.

It's called efficiency. I try to play perfect. I received a level or two in my sessions. I played around 4 times a week.

You obviously do not have life things to do.

Then all I can say is bye bye.
No you will see me artificially lvled playing HoE probably.

Upvote 0
I can't blame anyone for using perk training maps. Theoretically they're supposed to be gaining knowledge of the game grinding in lower difficulties but many of the habits and techniques that they use on lower difficulties will be obsolete once they unlock the next perk that allows them to compete in the next difficulty. They don't learn anything they can't learn by seeking it out online.

It was the same in KF1 but somehow seemed more palatable.

Upvote 0
This begin to sounds like a troll or whining thread to be frank. People discussed then provide reasons why leveling system is there, even gave advice on how to efficiently level up but OP just cover his ears, la la la and demand full level right away. If you like casual, stick to normal please. There are people who enjoy hoe challenge and ruining their time with LV.0 isn't the most positive thing.

Upvote 0
They should allow you to skip leveling up if you have a certain number of achievements in KF1 :D

I too don't feel like leveling up all the perks again. So I find myself playing commando over and over since its already leveled in KF2.

Im Glad someone can empathize with me.

For me, i just dont have the time to level, i dont care for it. i did that in KF1.

I like the game, i just want to kill stuff. lvl me and we are done.

Upvote 0
This begin to sounds like a troll or whining thread to be frank. People discussed then provide reasons why leveling system is there, even gave advice on how to efficiently level up but OP just cover his ears, la la la and demand full level right away. If you like casual, stick to normal please. There are people who enjoy hoe challenge and ruining their time with LV.0 isn't the most positive thing.

Your the one trolling. Telling me what i want is not what you enjoy is wrong.
I have played the game, it is pretty good, i just could not be Fed, doing all the leveling, just want to play is all, i will work out the rest.

Kids love that stuff.. i dont care for it, when you are a bit older you will understand.

Just want to kill stuff with a lvled character.

Upvote 0
I'm not a fan of leveling. At least if it's basically keeping gameplay stuff away from me for the time it takes to level. I don't feel that's necessary. Having level be a status symbol wouldn't bother me really.

I did level everything in KF1 though. Guess I was more patient then. The leveling system was a bit different too, first levels came very quick as you were learning, and lvl4+ were all viable on HOE, so leveling beyond that was more of a prestige thing, not a hard requirement to play higher difficulties or use all game mechanics

Upvote 0
The problem with gaining everything at the moment you start the game is that it drops your immediate motivation to play the game. It's like hacking a game to give you end-game content right at the start. What do you do then? You've already got the best equipment, so there's really no reason to grind anymore, is there? Sure, you might want to fool around with said equipment, but after a while, it'll just grow old.

It's the same thing with KF2, and why so many people pause playing the game between updates. The moment you hit 25 with the newest class, then what do you do? Sure, you could be the next q3.railgun (I believe that's him) and start testing mechanics for the classes, but why even do that when he and simplecat are already giving full details on class mechanics.

The point of leveling in this game is so that there is a drive for you to play. It's also the reason why achievements exist, and so there's that drive for people who are completionists.

The game doesn't care if you were a KF1 veteran. Many people were, they all sucked it up, and continued to play and grind the game until they were max again. You're no special snowflake either, you're just another one of the customers.

Upvote 0