• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why does this game need..

JoshuaC

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Arizona
  • Kill cams. - If I wanted this, I'd go play Day of Defeat, or BC2. It has no place in a game like this.
  • Spawning on a squad leader. - BC2.
  • "Realism servers" - Shouldn't this be what the entire game is about? Again, feels like an appeal to the BC2 player base.
  • Copious amounts of zoom. - I shouldn't be able to zoom any further than what focusing on my sights would do, and yet I can zoom to sniper rifle like distances with a handgun in some maps.
  • Pressing "G" to quick throw a grenade. - :(
  • Minimap, and overall increase in hud elements. - While not all bad, I feel there's just a bit too much for my tastes.

Just some thoughts so far. I see great things for this game once the issues are resolved, but I can't help but nitpick at these things when the game is being touted as a "realistic experience".

Because we thought it would be nice to improve on RO1, as RO1 was an improvement on the MOD :)

I'm all for improving on things, heck, I've been playing RO since the first 2.0 mod release. However, some of the things I've pointed out feel more like you guys are appealing to a far different group of people than what you guys originally brought in with the first game.

Reactions: Flogger23m
Upvote 0
I completely disagree with the OP. I love all of it. Just play on a realism server and every thing you dislike will be solved.

Also, it's not really a killcam, it just points in the direction you were killed from.
I have to agree. Its a much improved version of the killcam as it does not follow the player only merely points in the direction of gun fire.

Upvote 0
As Sas said, it's an improvement, that's all there is to it. And it's not really a kill cam. I know in RO OST I was frustrated numerous times when I would get killed from someone I couldn't even see.

I like all of the improvements and disagree with you fully until we get to the auto throw. Making G (Which was formerly used to resupply machine gunners) to instantly pull out a nade and throw it was just stupid. You lose control with that crap, if you accidently hit G, you can quickly rack up a nasty team kill streak.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm all for improving on things, heck, I've been playing RO since the first 2.0 mod release. However, some of the things I've pointed out feel more like you guys are appealing to a far different group of people than what you guys originally brought in with the first game.

Can you blame them? It's better for the game in the long run.

RO suffered from a very steep learning curve which, while appealing to some, was too much for people who wanted to try it out.

Neutral about the killcam but the rest of your list seems like an improvement to me.

Upvote 0

And this is a problem,... why?

No, really. Why is this a problem? Why is an increase of players in the community a bad thing? Oh sure, a large part might not play on the same servers as you because they don't care for the exact same game play, but why is it a bad thing that they play a variant of the game that has little to no impact on the variant you play?

It isn't like all the non-realism players are going to come onto your server and hold a gun to your head to force you to change it.

Like the realism settings? Then Play on a realism server. All the realism servers shut down? Then Pay for your own. All the other realism players leave the game and your server is always empty? Then pinch yourself because you've likely fallen and hit your head on something, and are just having a bad nightmare.

Reactions: TheDude101
Upvote 0
I thought I recalled the RO community being a little more mature than this. :(

Anyways, these are just some things that irked me. I dislike the idea of having to find a realism server amidst a bunch of so called "normal" servers.

It is don't worry. Altought i do disagree with your points.

Btw i actually haven't been able to find normal server. At least i think so. What is the difference again?

Upvote 0
at all i have to agree with much points... At all i dont like the kill cam too. I mean... will this be a copy of Call of Duty at all? Theres a big fail in the game and i dont want to see where my enemy is, RO:OST was later a Game who you need a really tactical play to win a map, on public the same as on clanwar.

So its a step forward AND a step back at all... And cause this "Arcade-Gametype" is the main Type of game, the "realism" Gametype will not be the main playable thing on a league.

At all: the Game in the Moment is toooooo much Arcade! I dont need to play in Squads or Something. If i hide for a second i can kill more than 10 People without dying and when i die i know "ah theres the enemy.. .mmh i need to throw a grenade nexttime..."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't like the Killcam either. Last night there were numerous times where I died to a sniper only to have the killcam point him out to me by showing me the direction the kill came in. I was able to see him up in a window or wherever. So with my next life I could hunt him down and take him out. I have never been a fan of a Killcam in any FPS just because of this reason(had to stick with HC only servers and for BFBC2 I had to dig through those HC servers to find one without a killcam turned on *major pain at times*). I loved RO 1 and really enjoyed the fact that it didn't have one, ever. So yeah it's kind of disappointing to see it here now. I also preferred the old way of using grenades as well but the Killcam is the bigger issue in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Because we thought it would be nice to improve on RO1, as RO1 was an improvement on the MOD :)

Copying other games is not an improvement. So many aspects of RO that made it great, and replayable, seem to be lost forever.

Anyway, why this is will be captured in a review once game releases, should it be warranted.

RIP RO... *still* the FPS heavyweight champion, even in agonizing death.

Upvote 0
  • Kill cams. - If I wanted this, I'd go play Day of Defeat, or BC2. It has no place in a game like this.

I could honestly care less about kill cams especially since realism gets rid of this.

• Spawning on a squad leader. - BC2.

This actually works quite well. I haven't spawned on my squad leader in an area I would consider "gamey" most of the time I spawn just 30-40 yards ahead of the spawn area. Not effecting gameplay drasticly to be compared to BC 2.

• "Realism servers" - Shouldn't this be what the entire game is about? Again, feels like an appeal to the BC2 player base.

Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't have even bought this game if they announced it was going to be increased realism/objective based gameplay only. Running at MG's for the reason of "We need this random building" got old in 2008.

And to those complaining you had to hunt down a realism server, a realism server is a freaking skull in your server browser details. And if you notice most are skulls.

• Copious amounts of zoom. - I shouldn't be able to zoom any further than what focusing on my sights would do, and yet I can zoom to sniper rifle like distances with a handgun in some maps.

People can naturally focus on an object. I have a problem in ARMA where I am either looking at the iron sights way too far back, or I fell like I am cheating. This is a nice compromise IMO.

• Pressing "G" to quick throw a grenade. - :(

Yeah in real life you have that nasty toggle wheel to deal with. Then actually double checking your selection by clicking it. Its a shame they turned grenade throwing into the fast action it is. :rolleyes:

Sorry but im loving this game and too many former RO players are acting like someone pissed on their rug. The new rug makes the room, get used to it.

Upvote 0

how are any of these an improvement? More like simplifications

And yeah the quick grenade totatly caught me off guard. i though pressing G switches to your grenade. Instead i ended up throwing a grenade straight in front of me at a wall lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0