• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why did the G36C firing sounds change when the update came out?

Admittedly, I haven't tried the gun since the update properly dropped. But I already thought it felt too weak in the beta tbh.

Which is an issue with most weapons in the last two years tbh. I'd really like them to go bonkers on the sound design. Let me feel like I got a mad beast in my hands !
I love meaty, high-quality sound effects in games. It makes it much more immersive for me. I don't know that I'd want something too over-the-top, but something with a kick is nice.

I'm just so confused as to why they thought they should suddenly change the G36C sounds. Like you said, a lot of the sounds for recent weapons have been underwhelming, but to be fair, some of the earlier weapons in the game also sound kinda weak. However, that's probably because they were trying to make them sound more like they do in real life. KF1 had really punchy firing sounds, but I'm not sure that was very accurate for some guns.

Upvote 0
I love meaty, high-quality sound effects in games. It makes it much more immersive for me. I don't know that I'd want something too over-the-top, but something with a kick is nice.

I'm just so confused as to why they thought they should suddenly change the G36C sounds. Like you said, a lot of the sounds for recent weapons have been underwhelming, but to be fair, some of the earlier weapons in the game also sound kinda weak. However, that's probably because they were trying to make them sound more like they do in real life. KF1 had really punchy firing sounds, but I'm not sure that was very accurate for some guns.
Yeah, as far as I know, nobody was specifically complaining about the G36C, but I don't check the Steam Forums so maybe the outcry was bigger there?

I'm personally a strong advocate that fun should always come before realism. Having both is not a bad thing at all obviously, but I'd rather have a shotgun make a comically LOUD sound as you blast a shell in the chest of a clot rather than a more realistic, yet weaker, noise.

Similarly, for a game that's almost the whole symbol for badassness, I found DOOM's chainsaw to be quite underwhelming sound-wise... Meanwhile, a game like Madworld (where the chainsaw is your main weapon admittedly) makes you feel like a monster, even when the chainsaw is merely rumbling as it waits to cut the flesh of an unfortunate thug.

Upvote 0
Yeah, as far as I know, nobody was specifically complaining about the G36C, but I don't check the Steam Forums so maybe the outcry was bigger there?

I'm personally a strong advocate that fun should always come before realism. Having both is not a bad thing at all obviously, but I'd rather have a shotgun make a comically LOUD sound as you blast a shell in the chest of a clot rather than a more realistic, yet weaker, noise.

Similarly, for a game that's almost the whole symbol for badassness, I found DOOM's chainsaw to be quite underwhelming sound-wise... Meanwhile, a game like Madworld (where the chainsaw is your main weapon admittedly) makes you feel like a monster, even when the chainsaw is merely rumbling as it waits to cut the flesh of an unfortunate thug.
I understand your point of view.

Upvote 0
The sounds from the betas were perfectly fine, and I really liked them. I am dumbfounded as to why it was deemed necessary to change the sound from the pleasingly smooth firing to this annoying one that sounds like a pingy pea-shooter.

My understanding is that the beta sound was deemed not realistic enough and it was reworked into something that fit and fit the profile of other standard firearms of the game. I am awaiting some further clarification however, and will update if my understanding is wrong.

Update: I can add that this was mostly noticeable as the standard audio pass and work happened a bit late for this weapon so it bleed into the beta period. But the events that happened are fairly normal for every weapon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
@Yoshiro
Are there any chances you are going to improve the firstperson animation? Compared to the quality of other real life weapons the G36C makes such a bad part, that she doesn’t feel as she would belong to the game.
There are no plans to change the animations unless there are bugs to be fixed.

Upvote 0