• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Who do you trust for your Gaming PC/Graphic Card reviews?

hey Putz, good to hear you're looking into DX11 :)

aside from that, what are the odds that we will see a 64-bit exe in the future? would the game benefit from it?

Interesting point.

The only real benefit would be the ability to address more RAM. 64 bit versions of Windows 7 can address between 8 at 192GB of RAM, but 32 bit programs running in them are still capped at 2GB.

There are supposedly ways around this, to increase this limit to 4GB, but I have no idea how well they work.

I wonder if the game actually uses that much RAM. If the game is bouncing off the upper limit, then there might actually be a good use for it.

I have noticed the game stuttering - on occasion - while it loads more data from the drive. Maybe if it were allowed to use more RAM, the full map and all data in it could be loaded to RAM before the map starts?

Upvote 0
Thank you Mr.Obvious,you will enter a server 1 - 1,1/2 sec before me,oh and BTW when loading map your I5 has nothing to do with your enetering faster or loading the map faster.

Want me to show you benchmarks where the 1090T surpasses the I5-2500K??? talking of single threaded benchmarks(games) and multithreaded too. I saw bunch of them where they were pinning down the Bulldozer vs the 2600K,2500K and the 1100T(my bad not the 1090T...same $hit BTW)

Lemme know I'll post them for ya,so that you can see that 1100/1090T got the 2500K by the neck. Mein runs at 4.0Ghz and if you have your 2500K at stock speeds its more like your holding me by my neck...BTW congrats on the 1 second faster entering a server and grabbing the Mkb,I'll stick to my Bolt or MG.

I don't really care which chip is made by which - the faster system is the i5 with the Sata III disc with the bigger cache. That was the way they benchmarked.

I put out examples for people to be informed about two systems under 1000. - one 980. and one 870. to help out people on a budget. How would they know? It isn't obvious to everyone.

The getting in first was a happy accident - when it turned out I was in first all of the time - well I realized it cuts down on stress - since I have no worries I won't get the engineer kit on Red October so I can hunt tanks.

I didn't say any misinformation about the 1090T beating the i5-2500k or building it on purpose to get the Mbk? ? ? ... relax

Upvote 0
Want me to show you benchmarks where the 1090T surpasses the I5-2500K??? talking of single threaded benchmarks(games) and multithreaded too. I saw bunch of them where they were pinning down the Bulldozer vs the 2600K,2500K and the 1100T(my bad not the 1090T...same $hit BTW)

I'm kind of curious what you are referring to, actually.

All my research suggests that the 2500K outclasses the X6 Phenom II's in pretty much every regard, except a very few encoding and rendering apps where the X6 can fully take advantage of all its cores, but even then the 2500K takes most of these too.

Stock to stock, the 2500K will dominate the 1100T or 1090T in the vast majority of applications.

You can make up for this - to some extent - by overclocking the Phenom II to about 4ghz (some have hit 4.2, but 4 is the most common.) but even when you do this, it doesn't bring the single core performance up to par with a stock clocked 2500K.

And if you are going to overclock, the 2500K has been known to hit 4.8Ghz on air. At that speed, the Phenom II would need to run at almost 7Ghz in order to keep up.

It's quite simply very lopsided right now. AMD, even after the Bulldozer launch is nowhere near competing with Intel, unfortunately.

The reason you don't see this in most games, is because most games are not very CPU intensive, and as such are limited by the GPU, not the CPU. There are some notable exceptions to this. RO2 as we all know is one. StarCraft 2 is even more so.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't try this on RO2 because VAC would probably ban you for modifying the exe.

I'll monitor RO2.exe with processexplorer later today to see how much ram it uses after a few rounds.

Yea, I wasn't planning on it. I was simply speaking in general terms, but thank you for pointing it out, so no one runs off and does it and gets themselves banned.

Upvote 0
Nik21 said:
W7 Starter: 2GB, Win7 Home Premium: 16GB, for 192GB only professional and ultimate.

Well, Win 7 Starter only comes in a 32 bit version, but yes you are right.

32 bit:
Win 7 starter: 2GB
Win 7 all other editions: 4GB

64 Bit:
Win 7 Home Basic: 8GB
Win 7 home Premium: 16GB
Win 7 Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise: 192GB

On any of these operating systems, the largest amount of ram a 32bit executable can use is 2GB (unless modified with the patch posted earlier)

64bit executables can use up to the max amount of ram for the particular edition of Windows 7 it is running on.

Upvote 0
Interesting. So either the memory use is not strongly governed by player count, or the engine notices when it has ram constraints and swaps to the drive a lot.

Makes sense, doesn't it? Since the player models use mostly the same textures and skeletal meshes the memory load shouldn't increase anyway. It's more of an increase in computational load, not memory.

Upvote 0
Makes sense, doesn't it? Since the player models use mostly the same textures and skeletal meshes the memory load shouldn't increase anyway. It's more of an increase in computational load, not memory.

yes it does^^
would that increase in computational load benefit from 64bit? i know some de-/encoders and scientific applications benefit greatly from it, but what about games like RO2?

Upvote 0
yes it does^^
would that increase in computational load benefit from 64bit? i know some de-/encoders and scientific applications benefit greatly from it, but what about games like RO2?

My understanding is that the 64 bit instruction set brings no innate performance increases with it, unless you are working with very large data sets, (large databases, large quantities of scientific data, etc.) When using it with these applications the benefit comes from being able to store the large datasets in memory, not from computational improvements.

Actually there is some data that suggests that for applications that are not reliant on really large amounts of memory, the 64bit mode is slightly slower than 32bit modes on the same CPU.

Upvote 0