• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which weapons do YOU think should have alternate variations?

flashn00b

Grizzled Veteran
  • Feb 1, 2011
    Those who have watched the Back n' Kickin' Brass trailer probably noticed that there was a Support icon above the .500 Magnum, a Medic icon above the Freezethrower and SWAT icon above the VLAD, hinting at alternate versions of weapons we already have, so... Let's come up with ideas for what we could have!

To start off the thread, here's what I would personally want to see:

Hemogoblin for Demolitionist:
    Still heals, but blood bores are now equipped with micro-explosives. If multiple blood bores are attached to the same zed, the first one that explodes detonates the others.

SPX Centerfire for Field Medic:
    Uses explosive syringes for ammunition, dealing poison damage to zeds while healing allies similarly to the Hemoclobber's alt-fire. (i.e: explosion heals 20 immediately, rather than have a persistent gas)

M4 Combat Shotgun for Demolitionist and Sharpshooter:
    Buckshot replaced with solid slugs that have a 1.0m explosion radius (3.0 on headshots)

flashn00b;n2332710 said:
    Those who have watched the Back n' Kickin' Brass trailer probably noticed that there was a Support icon above the .500 Magnum, a Medic icon above the Freezethrower and SWAT icon above the VLAD, hinting at alternate versions of weapons we already have, so... Let's come up with ideas for what we could have!

To start off the thread, here's what I would personally want to see:

Hemogoblin for Demolitionist:
    Still heals, but blood bores are now equipped with micro-explosives. If multiple blood bores are attached to the same zed, the first one that explodes detonates the others.

SPX Centerfire for Field Medic:
    Uses explosive syringes for ammunition, dealing poison damage to zeds while healing allies similarly to the Hemoclobber's alt-fire. (i.e: explosion heals 20 immediately, rather than have a persistent gas)

M4 Combat Shotgun for Demolitionist and Sharpshooter:
    Buckshot replaced with solid slugs that have a 1.0m explosion radius (3.0 on headshots)

Wait, is that canon? Because having variants would be bloody awesome, and bring some more replay-value to the game. But since we're still waiting for a fully-implemented upgrade system... I'm honestly kinda suspicious.

Upvote 0
    Oh I can totally see a WHOLE lot of things for this. I think it's maybe a bit too easy to look at individual weapons (and can oversaturate any perk if looked at from that angle), so I'm gonna look at it from a PERKS angle instead. I'm gonna call this new feature "sidecross" (for clarity of the suggestions incoming):

BERSERKER:

One of the toughest perks to add any weapon for, as not many weapons fit for the Berserker which isn't already a Berserker weapon or crossperked to it. But I had one idea at least:

- C4 -
    Sidecross effect: Lasting electric field upon detonation, instead of explosion
    Reasoning: The C4 is a relatively underused weapon (at least on lower level play) and it's shortranged in direct useage. By eminating an electric field, it changes the weapon from a burst damage tool to a CC AoE tool, perfect for fighting safely in an area. Also, Berserker already has electric stuff (EMP Grenade). Yes, this could also very much work for the Survivalist (since it feels more like a CC-trap).

COMMANDO:

Also rather tough to get ideas for, considering crossperking already exists for most of the automatic weapons. But an idea was still sparked:

- Tommygun -
    Sidecross effect: Stickmag, instead of drummag (which means smaller mag but quicker reload, among other things)
    With this, they could even REMOVE the crossperking on the regular Tommygun! That way, the 2 perks have seperate weapons, allowing for a better rebalancing of both.

DEMOLITIONIST:

Not a particularly tough perk to sidecross weapons for, as I personally feel it's easy to just toss in "make X weapon have explosive rounds". So, to try and not just suggest a bunch of basic explosive conversions, I tried to focus on weapons that are unpopular and/or could give something new for the Demolitionist to do.

- Hemogoblin -
    Sidecross effect: Primary fire has explosive shots, instead of debuffing ones (altfire still heals allies)
    flashn00b alreay suggested this sidecross, and it's likely one of the best suggestions for the Demolitionist I could think of as well. It could bring an unpopular weapon out from the shadows a tad, and would also give the Demolitionist something non-offensive to do (i.e. healing), perfect for when only stray enemies are showing up etc.

FIREBUG:

Super easy to make tons of ideas for - basicly take any demo weapon and make the explosions incendiary instead, or any bulletbased weapon and make it incendiary. But let's try and make it as unique as possible

- Crossbow -
    Sidecross effect: Shoots bolts which produce a fiery explosion on impact, (with very shortlasting groundfire, if any at all), no longer piercing targets, nor can you pick up the bolts again.
    The idea here was to give Firebug something easy to use for longer range engagements and/or AoE in its choice of weaponry, but which at the same time doesn't overshadow the Molotov's AoE (hence the suggestion for a very limitted groundfire, if any at all). Could be great for those pesky Husks, in particular. Not only that, but the Crossbow is rather underused (no?), so this could liven up its useage a bit.

- Pulverizer -
    Sidecross effect: Altfire now causes a huge wave of fire, rather than a small wave of explosion (and could come with way more ammo).
    Pulverizer needs lots of help, and while it is a basic "explosive turned incendiary" suggestions, I still think a fiery version of it would be quite nice to have to play around with.

GUNSLINGER:

Not the hardest to come up with ideas for, but the problem is that these suggestions would likely require a lot of animation changes and such, so it depends on how much work Tripwire are willing to do for this, basicly.

- Static Strikers -
    Sidecross effect: Shoots electric bolts forward with each punch, and can now aim (instead of using its heavy attacks), but now requires ammo (possibly also reloading of some sort, even if just a recharging one, passively moving the spare ammo into the actual "magazine" when not attacking (which would then be affected by speedloader etc))
    Reasoning? Well, they're the only innate "dualwielded" weapons in the game, they are ever so slightly underused (I think?) and fists are sometimes referred to as your "guns", hehe.

- Mac10 -
    Sidecross effect: Can now be dualwielded, are lighter in weight per weapon (3 instead of 4), but no longer has incendiary ammo nor a suppressor (so it's also less accurate). Maybe cheaper per piece as well?
    Mac10 is a relatively unpopular weapon with issues of its own, plus a common suggestion for Gunslinger is to grant it fullauto pistols, so why not this? (Sure, the MP7 could also be used for this suggestion, but I want to avoid suggesting these ideas for the starter weapons.)

SHARPSHOOTER:

A bit tough to find good weapons to sidecross for Sharpshooter, I must say. But I think I found a couple of oddballs that could fit

- L85 -
    Sidecross effect: Powertuned. Shoots harder, but with a slower RoF and carries less spare ammo. Maybe also changed to a slightly higher powered scope?
    Again, takes an unpopular weapon and makes a sideversion of it that could potentially add some variety to a different perk. I can see the Sharp-L85 fulfilling many tasks; Gives a nice levelling tool, brings some loadout variety to the "bigger magazine"-builds (which is just M14+FAL at the moment) and could function as a decent backup to some of the heavier weapons.

- MKb42 - (Note; Instead of the L85)
    Sidecross effect: Scope added, 1 weight less, damage potentially increased (or type changed from assault to rifle?), but much less spare ammo.
    Same reasoning as on L85, with the upside that it arguably makes more sense for the Sharpshooter (especially if it got a scope on it), but it doesn't add the same "starting weapon benefits" like the L85 (which is maybe for the better?).

- Eviscerator -
    Sidecross effect: MUCH faster projectiles and a tad more ammo, but bouncing blades are removed and the ability to pick up its ammo is also removed (since the blades embed really hard into the environment).
    Not really a serious suggestion, more a "why not?" one.

SURVIVALIST:

While I could think of several ideas, there's one in particular I'd really like to share:

- Dragonsbreath -
    Sidecross effect: Cryonic swarm, instead of an incendiary one
    I just thought this would be an interesting twist on the weapon. A swarm of freezing pellets is something I could definitely see have its uses.

MEDIC:

Already gets the Freezethrower (which I assume will get a "blowerthrower" kind of effect on its primary? Or icicles replaced with healdarts? Who knows?), but more ideas wouldn't hurt, would it?

- Crossbow -
    Sidecross effect: Bolts can heal allies (and poisons enemies?), but initial damage lowered(?). Note: Bolts can still be picked up!
    If a Medic/Sharpshooter crossperk weapon never gets added, I can see this becoming a sidecross thing, as a decent compromise. The Xbow has always been a popular Medic backup weapon (moreso in KF1, but I digress), giving the Medic the capability to better help take out Husks and Sirens, in particular. This would just make it more "official", so to speak.

- Spitfire(s) -
    Sidecross effect: Poisonous/healing balls, rather than fiery ones, with damage/healing values obviously heavily different from the ordinary Spitfires.
    Similar to what flashn00b suggested for the SPX, but on the Spitfires instead. I think that would be a pretty good fit, honestly. I mean, you basicly just have to turn the balls blue, and they both induce panic (fire and poison) as afflictions.

SUPPORT:

Already gets the .500 (which I assume will get shotgun scatter shots, instead of one solid bullet), but hey, let's suggest some more!

- M16/M203 -
    Sidecross effect: One powerful shotgun blast, instead of grenade, on its altfire.
    Just a fun thought, really. Don't know if this would even be popular (or even useful), but I can see some people using it for the giggles.

SWAT:

Already gets the Nailgun (which I assume will get fullauto instead of a semiauto option), but let's keep em coming!

- M4 (the shotgun) -
    Sidecross effect: Compact style. Slightly lighter version (1 weight less), fullauto capability (toggle between semi and full), but with a smaller magazine (6 or 7, instead of 8)
    While I would preferably just suggest to straight up crossperk this (and the SG500) for the SWAT, maybe a smaller version of the M4 could work better? It'd, if nothing else, bring in some much needed variety to the perk (which the Nailgun hopefully also will).

Aaaand that was a long list. Sorry about that :D

Upvote 0
    M79 on medic : grenades like the HMtech501

Boomstick/doomstick on Sharpshooter : slugs

trenchgun on berserker : remove fire and add a bayonet

seeker six on sharphooter : fires massive spikes

Kriss/MP7/MP5 on medic : give them the KF1 dart launcher

M99 on demo : explosive rounds

RPG/seeker on firebug : incendiary rockets

Sg500 on demo : explosive shells

seal squeel on sharpshooter : fires rivets/spikes

P90 on commando : AR-57 conversion

Personally I think the AR15 should move to swat and be given a 556 model for commando

Upvote 0
    Aze;n2332738 said:
    SURVIVALIST:

- Dragonsbreath -
    Sidecross effect: Cryonic swarm, instead of an incendiary one
    I just thought this would be an interesting twist on the weapon. A swarm of freezing pellets is something I could definitely see have its uses.

It would be nice to turn survivalist into crowd control perk with ice weapons

Last edited:
    Upvote 0