• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Which rifle scope will be perfect for Winchester Model 1894 ?

DavidHimerr;n2292186 said:
Hello guys,

I have bought a new Winchester Model 1894 model rifle and now i have little confusion which scope will be perfect long range shooting. By the way i have read some review here : http://proreviewly.com/best-rimfire-scope/ but still confusion on it

I think the best way to understand something is to go back to the beginning, and when dealing with firearms, history, legend and tradition all roll into one romantic package. Now granted, this romance and legend make choosing the best 30-30 scope an almost religious act at times, but that's part of the fun of the whole thing.
In 1895 Winchester introduced the venerable .30-30 round, making it the first commercial smokeless round sold in the US. First chambered in the Winchester Model 1894, the .30-30 became an instant hit. By combining a state of the art lever action rifle, with a cutting edge smokeless cartridge, an unbeatable combination was born, which is still wildly popular to this day.
Naturally it did not take Winchester's competitors long to build rifles in .30-30, and rather than use the official name of the round; .30 Winchester Centerfire, a page was taken from old black powder naming conventions, and Winchester's competition commonly sold it as the .30-30. This meant a thirty caliber bullet was placed over thirty grains of period smokeless powder. Regardless the name, it quickly became a defacto standard.

Upvote 0
Oh fun, a post totally irrelevant to the game, but I think this might deserve some answer, because so many people get this wrong.

Long range is a very vague term in the world of firearms. By rule of thumb one might define long range as any distance past 700 yards, but one might be referring to the longest range their cartridge and rifle combination might be accurate at.

A winchester '94 isn't especially accurate, and .30-30 (previously named .30wcf) is definitely not made for very long range. In fact, its ballistics are similar to the Russian 7.62x39 cartridge. 200 yards is considered a decent range for the carbine, past that point the bullet will start to drop like a brick. Hell at 300yrds you'll already be almost 3 feet under your target!

Also, the link you provided directs towards cheap optics for rimfire cartridges, in other words .22lr, .17hmr and the like. These are not designed for the more powerful centerfire cartridges like .30-30.

So what you want is an optic that is reliable and will lead your shots up to 150-200 yards. That is not long-range, but more like the lower-end of what is commonly considered as medium-range. I suggest a good ol' cheap Bushnell or Redfield 3-9x40. ''3-9'' meaning the range of zoom between 3x and 9x, and ''40'' meaning the exterior diameter of the front lens. The bigger the lens is, the more light it'll gather for a clearer picture.

Alright, now you've got a nice scope for your old lever rifle. Now you need a solution to mount it. Know that there are no miraculous ways to mount a scope and since the Winchester '94 rifle is known to eject straight from the top, your scope will need to be off-centered to the left to allow for undisturbed ejection. So if you're unlucky enough to be a lefty, you may already scrap that idea altogether. If not, keep reading.

There aren't 200 solutions to a receiver-mounted side mount for a Winchester 94, but most of them will require you to have a competent gunsmith drill and tap additional holes in order to screw in the fixture.

TL : DR I gave you the basic information to not look weird for when you'll meet your local gunsmith and ask him to slap a scope on your Winchester 1894.

Last edited:
Upvote 0