• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where oh where has my TWI gone?

Go back to school and work on English grammer first kid.

@Gusone, your post is pretty much the definition of irony. Lol :D

Umm, he spelled "grammar" wrong. Since it was a spelling mistake not a grammatical error, there was nothing ironic about it at all. :rolleyes:

You all just phailed 5th grade. :p

Spelling "failed" as "phailed" was a joke ;)

Upvote 0
Umm, he spelled "grammar" wrong. Since it was a spelling mistake not a grammatical error, there was nothing ironic about it at all. :rolleyes:

You all just phailed 5th grade. :p

Spelling "failed" as "phailed" was a joke ;)

Except for the fact that there should be a comma towards the end of the sentence between first, and kid, which would fall under grammar(which keeps the statement ironic). I believe reading comprehension is focused on in second and third grade. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you passed second grade, but third was apparently a bit too hard for you. Good effort though, bswearer! ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Except for the fact that there should be a comma towards the end of the sentence between first, and kid, which would fall under grammar(which keeps the statement ironic). I believe reading comprehension is focused on in second and third grade. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you passed second grade, but third was apparently a bit too hard for you. Good effort though, bswearer! ;)

@ demontrace

Actually, a "missed" comma would specifically be a punctuation error. If you really wanted to try and stretch the "missing comma" argument, you could argue that it was a syntax (rules governing sentence structure) error, thereby making it a grammatical error. However, in the context of that sentence, the lack of a comma was not directly a syntax error, so that kills that argument.

Punctuation usage, when not specified by a syntax rule, is mainly left up to the discretion of the writer and his particular style of writing. Perhaps the writer did not intend for the reader to insert a pause at that portion of the sentence, so he decided to not put a comma there.

I do find it amusing that your original poke at him was pointing out his spelling error and referring to it as a grammatical error, thereby making the sentence ironic. Since you were corrected that it was actually a spelling error and not a grammatical error, you had to go back and create a new argument to support your statement and try to save face. Your "missing comma" argument was a valiant effort, but again, it did not prove that the sentence used improper grammar, which would have made it ironic.

Here's a simple hint: type his exact sentence into a Microsoft Word document. Use the "Spelling and Grammar" tool and see what results you get. You will notice that yes, it identifies a spelling error since the word "grammar" was misspelled. However, notice that it will not identify a grammatical error. That's because there wasn't one. :p

I hope you do realize that you just lumped in grammar as a part of reading comprehension, which it is not. They are two separate studies dealing with linguistics. You were correct that reading comprehension is studied in 2nd and 3rd grade, just as grammar is also studied along with spelling, vocabulary, mathematics and other various subjects. However, all of those subjects including reading comprehension and grammar are also studied in 5th grade, 6th grade, 10th grade and heck, even still in college. The same core skills are continuously studied throughout all of one's education. As a student progresses, they hone in on their skills and develop them. Just to prove to you that grammar is still taught in the 5th grade here is a link to a 5th grade curriculum that I found. My decision to use 5th grade instead of say 3rd grade was simply because I felt like picking 5th grade for some odd reason.

It appears that you may have been able to pass your basic language classes because you have somewhat of a clue as to what you are talking about. However, you may need to retake your debate class because you must have failed that one. The sentence in reference was not grammatically incorrect so the post was not ironic.

Argument ended.

This is why all online forums should all have a spelling and grammar tool. Or, people should just not try to be smartasses. I guess one could also call me a smartass for writing a wall of text correcting a person but then again, it is not really spam and I honestly had nothing better to do at the time.

Oh, what was this thread about again? That’s right, the activity level of TW in the forums. It appears they are still here, so I think that question is answered. :D

edit: I hope I receive an A+ for my essay. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't fail what I already passed and that was an English 'O' level some two decades ago so I'll forgive myself for being a little rusty even if no one else will. English literature was not so good. That 'O' level was hell and I wouldn't recommend anyone taking that subject. It was a complete and utter b......

'O' levels were hell.

Lol try A-level physics, maths and electronics...THATS hell!

Upvote 0