• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where are the player?

The reason why I hardly play RO are mostly the servers/maps.

It's really hard to find a good server for me. I like infantry maps and combined arms maps. But I don't play pure tank maps at all. Also I hate it if smaller maps like Danzig, Stalingradkessel etc. are played with 50 players. These maps end up in deathmatch only playstyle.

Most server which I get good ping in the list have a mixture of all types of maps in their rotation. So whenever I want to play RO and there isn't any suitable map in the rotation I quit. Which happens quite often. And I really don't have the patience to wait for mapchange, because many maps have really long duration time.

What would help a lot is to devide servers into infantry, combined arm, and pure tank maps. Also to restrict smaller maps to 32 people.

Upvote 0
The reason why I hardly play RO are mostly the servers/maps.

It's really hard to find a good server for me. I like infantry maps and combined arms maps. But I don't play pure tank maps at all. Also I hate it if smaller maps like Danzig, Stalingradkessel etc. are played with 50 players. These maps end up in deathmatch only playstyle.

Most server which I get good ping in the list have a mixture of all types of maps in their rotation. So whenever I want to play RO and there isn't any suitable map in the rotation I quit. Which happens quite often. And I really don't have the patience to wait for mapchange, because many maps have really long duration time.

What would help a lot is to devide servers into infantry, combined arm, and pure tank maps. Also to restrict smaller maps to 32 people.

Ditto:I try to play RO most evenings when I can"BUT" there are no real infantry only servers.
I jump on a server with acceptable ping,start playing with a good team,than BANG a Hard TANK map,,Damn,,,disconnect,,

I look for more infantry map servers,hmmm 3-6 Tank only servers,,Danzig only servers 1,,2,,3 .Theres 4-6 servers with strange map names.Theres about 5 servers that are pinging 300ms+,lots of 32 man servers with 5-10 players,,,,,,,,,

Well my night of RO has ended in 15-30 mins.
We need a couple servers that play mostly (urban-Infantry maps only) with a couple CA maps thrown in for sure.

anyways just my .02$ worth,,,,,,:cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
another strange thing is that in servers like the wild bunch, is that its map rotation list, despite the fact that it has a lot of maps, it always play the same maps at the same timeframes, what happens if I can only join at 23pm?, do I have to play zhitomir forever?, I'm fu**ing sick of zhitomir already

isn't there be a way to make the map selection more random?

Upvote 0
I really think Tripwire should make RO:Ost free (or something like $5) shortly before the release of their next game. The only thing most people know about RO is that it is different than what they're used to. Is that good or bad? They don't know, so they don't buy.

Actually, I wonder if it would be possible for the devs to host a free server that plays only a handful of maps. With the loads of maps and mods available in the retail version, anyone who would be into RO would definitely fork over $20 to get full access.

Ditto:I try to play RO most evenings when I can"BUT" there are no real infantry only servers.
I jump on a server with acceptable ping,start playing with a good team,than BANG a Hard TANK map,,Damn,,,disconnect,,

I look for more infantry map servers,hmmm 3-6 Tank only servers,,Danzig only servers 1,,2,,3 .Theres 4-6 servers with strange map names.Theres about 5 servers that are pinging 300ms+,lots of 32 man servers with 5-10 players,,,,,,,,,

Well my night of RO has ended in 15-30 mins,,reason theres no servers that cater to ground pounders only.

We need a couple servers that play mostly (urban-Infantry maps only) with "maybe" a couple CA maps thrown in.

I'm not alone with this situation,thats 4 sure,,,anyways just my .02$ worth,,,,,,:cool:

I agree with you there. You want infantry? Okay, 9 times out of 10, you get Danzig or Danzig as your choices. I haven't played in about a month, but I was having a lot of fun on 2MANNY'S after it's "revival". I hope it's still going strong when I get back to playing.

Upvote 0
It's sad but I honestly think for a lot of people RO requires a little more input than they are "happy" with, that, linked with very little advertising I think are responsible for the relatively low number of players in servers.

I am a RO noob only having played the game for the first time two days ago,,, 16hrs later .... lol :eek: hmm. I only know about the game because I am very much a pc gamer and have friends who are into onlilne fps like MOH etc and know of this game, wouldn't have heard about it otherwise... Which is crazy because for me at least this is by far the best (and realistic) fps since the original Operation Flashpoint. Come to think of it that did pretty well, and still is.................... Advertising then?

I normally play IL2 Sturmovik, online mostly. That series has been going since late 2001.. Still an incredible amount of interest in the series,, online community is still very healthy as well. Flight simming is a smaller niche of the games market than fps are by far but IL2 manages to do "it"

I really think this game/sim is a jewel waiting to be discovered by many..

Upvote 0
If you'd have checked the numbers a year or a year and a half ago you'd find dozens of FULL servers all the time. It's not that RO is slow, or nobody knows about it, it's just that it's gotten "old". It has run it's course of being very popular. The game caters to a smaller audience, those looking for a realistic gaming experience as opposed to all the other crappy run'n'gunners out there so always did have a smaller group of dedicated players than something like Call of Duty.
When games get old, they slow down, the support and official expansions stop etc.
Lets hope Red ORchestra 2 in whatever form it is going to take is as great as we are all hoping for. Then you'll see full servers!

Upvote 0