• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design When is the SDK coming?

It will require 64-bit windows.

When will it support 32?

If I make a map in the UDK editor could I then import it into the SDK when that comes out?
Can't claim to have any experience with it, but I'd imagine any terrain or BSP brushwork you make will import just fine. Static meshes and textures you are using will probably need to be moved into a corresponding file location (?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The editor with a map loaded is usually 2GB+. Couple this with building a map and you're over the 3.2GB limit of 32bit, easily. If we released a 32bit version it would be almost completely unusable without crashing from being out of memory. To build one of the official maps on Production Lighting Quality REQUIRES 12GB of memory.

As games get more advanced so do the tools and hardware required to build those games. This is just a simple fact of development. Most companies don't release mod tools because they don't expect the community to have the hardware to required to develop custom content with their tools.

Edit: Also, with 10+ machines on our Swarm, building maps on Production takes around an hour. All of those machines have 2.6ghz Core i7s. If a single machine were to build a map, it'd probably take 10+ hours.

Upvote 0
Edit: Also, with 10+ machines on our Swarm, building maps on Production takes around an hour. All of those machines have 2.6ghz Core i7s. If a single machine were to build a map, it'd probably take 10+ hours.

Not to shoot the messenger here but where do you gain the impression that everybody would be trying to compile their maps at production settings? Going anything higher than medium/high is really grasping at straws.

22.jpg

I think its just a given fact for all games that most custom maps are not going to be able to compete on the same playing grounds as the official developer maps, but that's never stopped them from being good or numerous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're still going to run out of memory on Preview with 32bit.

Thats fair, I was thinking of reformatting for the editor as I do have a 64 bit windows 7 on hand and I can upgrade anything else if needed.. but the fact that I only have 2 gigs of ram may be an entirely different story.

Assuming I was compiling at medium/high lightbake settings, would I be able to get by with 6* gigs of ram? I can upgrade with an additional 4 gigs of DDR2 ram but I'm not sure my dated motherboard supports DDR3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming I was compiling at medium/high lightbake settings, would I be able to get by with 6* gigs of ram? I can upgrade with an additional 4 gigs of DDR2 ram but I'm not sure my dated motherboard supports DDR3

pavlovsbuildmemoryusage.jpg

I built Pavlov's House on Preview (lowest quality setting, with Production being the highest) and this is what the memory usage was. I'd say you might be able to skate by with 6GB on a low detail, small/medium sized map.

Upvote 0