• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Whats with the arty on Red October ?

Maybe the Germans need to take more time to load the shells into their catapults :p

But I did notice these different cool down times back in the Beta..... and I did notice the cooldown was worse on Red Oc.

I also noticed that the Mortars are quicker to ready up than the others, which is why on most maps I select the Mortars, which seem to fire for longer, have more salvos and have a wider spread of damage...... the others just seem short, more concentrated in an area and I hardly get any kills with them.

Upvote 0
Historicly Russians had arty superiority. Simple as that. Read up on the battle of Kursk. The Germans were better at indirect fire though.

A company had mortars so you would be able to have access more. Regimental artillary had to prioritise what is more important targets. Company A wants arty so does company C. Wait in line.

Upvote 0
Across the Volga! :IS2:
Makes perfect sense that the Russians have less cool down, as they are attacking. You'd think you might catch the Germans on the wrong foot counterattacking in the dead of night, so of course while the Russian assault is backed up and has artillery priority, the Germans probably have a hard time reacting and so does their artillery. <- my guess

Just wish they'd implemented that whooshing firing sound of the Nebelwerfers and Katyushas (or did I just miss that?). :(

Upvote 0
It makes sense since I think that map represents the Soviet offensive over the surrounded germans that were very low on arty amo by that time .. is historically corect IMHO .

Correct. The map represents one of the last German holdouts in the factory district shorty before the 6th Army surrendered. There's also gameplay considerations that had to be made. If the Germans had access to rockets or shorter call times the map could become even harder for the Russians, and they have a pretty tough time already.

Reactions: Paajtor
Upvote 0
Correct. The map represents one of the last German holdouts in the factory district shorty before the 6th Army surrendered. There's also gameplay considerations that had to be made. If the Germans had access to rockets or shorter call times the map could become even harder for the Russians, and they have a pretty tough time already.
Just another thing, the Germans can shell the the Russian radio position just as the match starts making life very differcult for the Russians, are there any plans to make the Russian radio protected?

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks all (including Dev - I appreciate an "official" response) for the historically informations but I was thinking at this problem from a gameplay point-of-view, a german point-of-view to be more specific.

First, let's talk about mortar. Mortar is good on small maps, but this is the biggest RO2 map (for now at least) and here mortar is pretty useless. Just once I was able to win on this map thank to mortar - and that time was something very special.

Now let's talk arty. Arty on this map is good, very good if you know when to use it.
4 minutes cooldown for russians and 10 minutes cooldown for axis means that russians can use 4 artys in a game - standard round time of 20 minutes (theoretically 5 but you can't use arty instantly after the round begins, you have to go the radio etc ...) and axis can use it just 2 times. 2 times and 7 objectives to defend. This is very difficult, it shouldn't be like that. Russians already have the advantages of reinforcements, the obvious advantage of the spawns and now this ... I'm not saying germans should have the same arty times as russians but a tuning is needed. I think 6 minutes would be decent, germans could use 3 artys and 6 minutes is a normal time to wait - that 10 minutes almost makes you forget about having arty.

Upvote 0
But they have to take objectives over a VERY long map which has the objectives wide apart without the chance of doing much flanking, infact, I am somewhat annoyed that the Germans get heavy artillery on this map when the Russians at the Station only have the the mortars on a very long cool down. Other than ROF the Germans have pretty much great artillery, the best places to spot from and the best places to hit but if that is how it was in RL then that fine with me...

Upvote 0
What I'd like to know is why the rocket barrage has such a long cooldown when it doesn't seem nearly as useful.

A good mortar/arty barrage can be great to deny an enemy team access to a point. The rockets will kill pretty much kill everything in a medium/small sized area, but what's the point when there is nothing really stopping them from running right back in?

Upvote 0